All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
GrandMstrBud
join:2005-05-25
Davenport, IA

GrandMstrBud

Re: Century Link terminating service

I have no clue how to check and when I asked how to of course we can't monitor it like you can on mediacom. So basically just wait until they tell you it's your 3rd time without a first or second notice.
tdumaine
Premium Member
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

tdumaine

Premium Member

said by GrandMstrBud:

I have no clue how to check and when I asked how to of course we can't monitor it like you can on mediacom. So basically just wait until they tell you it's your 3rd time without a first or second notice.

You still havent said how much they said you used. You havent said what you normally do with your connection? Torrent a lot? Stream alot? Run websites?

Speculation is all you will get without that, but, keep in mind:
it may be 40/20 or 50/20 but the price you pay, inst truly unlimited. read the fine print. Affecting other users adversely.
GrandMstrBud
join:2005-05-25
Davenport, IA

GrandMstrBud

They just said I went over 250GB or something and that was the limit. I specifically asked if there was a limit when I signed up and they said no there was not. I only went to them because mediacom implemented limits and I was told no limits. I use it for netflix a lot and also download a lot of on demand movies from DTV and quite a few phone ROM's also so I can see going over. But when a 3rd warning without a 1st and 2nd is what gets me.

TAZ
@qwest.net

TAZ to tdumaine

Anon

to tdumaine
said by tdumaine:

it may be 40/20 or 50/20 but the price you pay, inst truly unlimited. read the fine print. Affecting other users adversely.

You're going to have a really hard time convincing me that a single user's usage, on a 40/20 tier, is adversely affecting service for others on what is at least a GigE-fed DSLAM. If, at that level, they are having congestion issues, kicking a single user off (or even multiple users) isn't going to have any effect whatsoever. They would need to either add another link (in LAG) or upgrade the current one to 10G. (I haven't verified this but I believe some may already be 10G.)

Also, while I don't know what price OP paid (could be some promo price), IIRC the normal price for 40/20 is like $75 and that would still be profitable even if OP fully utilized the circuit 100% of the time (which I doubt). Remember, this is on the Qwest network; Qwest is a tier 1 ISP and does not pay for transit in the first place.
tdumaine
Premium Member
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

tdumaine

Premium Member

said by TAZ :

said by tdumaine:

You're going to have a really hard time convincing me that a single user's usage, on a 40/20 tier, is adversely affecting service for others on what is at least a GigE-fed DSLAM. If, at that level, they are having congestion issues, kicking a single user off (or even multiple users) isn't going to have any effect whatsoever. They would need to either add another link (in LAG) or upgrade the current one to 10G. (I haven't verified this but I believe some may already be 10G.)

Also, while I don't know what price OP paid (could be some promo price), IIRC the normal price for 40/20 is like $75 and that would still be profitable even if OP fully utilized the circuit 100% of the time (which I doubt). Remember, this is on the Qwest network; Qwest is a tier 1 ISP and does not pay for transit in the first place.

1. you dont know how many that dslam feeds or how much fiber to it.
2. they havent said what their usage is even.
3. they pay for transit, they dont have connections to everywhere on earth

TAZ
@qwest.net

TAZ

Anon

said by tdumaine:

1. you dont know how many that dslam feeds or how much fiber to it.

The standard Adtran TA5000 Qwest was deploying supports up to 320 ports (with POTS splitters), if all card slots are used.

10GigE can be done over the same fiber already in place.
said by tdumaine:

2. they havent said what their usage is even.

Don't really care, even if they were fully utilizing the 40/20 circuit 24/7. Chances are they weren't, anyway.
said by tdumaine:

3. they pay for transit, they dont have connections to everywhere on earth

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ti ··· _network