delt4
Congrats BUCCOS
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Pittsburgh, PA

delt4

Premium Member

Want to replace XM Radio

I tried the satellite forum on dslr and have not gotten any responses there, so I'll give general questions a try....

I was thinking of getting a new radio for my wife's vehicle. The one she has now is a clip on unit (not integrated into the vehicle) and is currently failing, as the knobs don't work correctly and the remote controller it is lost.
She ALREADY has a subscription to Sirius-XM. So I won't need another or a new subscription.
The one she has now has a remote function, so it would be a nice bonus to have that. Also, it would be great if she could move this unit from the car to the house to play through the radio at home. Any suggestions on a decent radio?
Are these any good?
»www.crutchfield.com/p_22 ··· 5&awdv=c

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

A couple years ago I got my wife an XM radio for the car & a boombox. Nice combo when you want to take it from the car & mount in the boombox which operates on battery also. If not, you just get a dock for your home stereo for whatever XM radio you buy.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to delt4

Premium Member

to delt4
Why not just buy a new car radio with XM integrated?

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

Because the OP said: "Also, it would be great if she could move this unit from the car to the house to play through the radio at home."

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger to delt4

Premium Member

to delt4
I have question for you. Is your radio XM or Sirius? You wrote xm but the Lynx is a Sirius radio. It will only picks up Sirius radio. They will charge you $15.00 to transfer the radio subscription to the new radio unless you can talk them out of it.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

1 recommendation

WK2 to Johkal

Premium Member

to Johkal
Oversight on my part lol

delt4
Congrats BUCCOS
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Pittsburgh, PA

delt4 to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger
It's a Delphi XM SKYFi 2 radio.

norbert26
Premium Member
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

norbert26 to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger
said by Caddyroger:

I have question for you. Is your radio XM or Sirius? You wrote xm but the Lynx is a Sirius radio. It will only picks up Sirius radio. They will charge you $15.00 to transfer the radio subscription to the new radio unless you can talk them out of it.

no the Lynx is an XM radio. You are confusing Sirius with SiriusXM. Sirius and XM merged and the new company is called SiriusXM . Radios branded XM are XM platform radios. Sirius branded radios are Sirius platform radios. Newer radios are branded SiriusXM most are XM side radios. They make one radio a starmate 8 that works on the sirius side however in the future they would like to phase out the Sirius side. On the XM side they are also making 2.0 radios that get extra channels these are also branded SiriusXM. The channel lineup is mostly the same on either the sirius or XM side with few differences.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

said by norbert26:

said by Caddyroger:

no the Lynx is an XM radio. You are confusing Sirius with SiriusXM. Sirius and XM merged and the new company is called SiriusXM . Radios branded XM are XM platform radios. Sirius branded radios are Sirius platform radios. Newer radios are branded SiriusXM most are XM side radios. They make one radio a starmate 8 that works on the sirius side however in the future they would like to phase out the Sirius side. On the XM side they are also making 2.0 radios that get extra channels these are also branded SiriusXM. The channel lineup is mostly the same on either the sirius or XM side with few differences.

Me bad but in the description it does not reads it it for XM or Sirus radio. I bought a Kenwood navigation which by Crutchfeild said it was Sirius/xm ready. Bought the necessary equipment after I got installed called in to change to change the tsn number. They told me it was a XM radio only so I was out $75.00 for the special equipmrnt. Where I live XM is useless, it loses the signal 50% of the time.
I have Stratus 8 which is a Sirius radio. The Sirus/Xm branding is bs. If they are branded Sirus/Xm then they should get both the Sirius/xm signals.

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium Member
Virginia Beach, VA

stevek1949 to delt4

Premium Member

to delt4
I had a portable Sirius radio (vehicle clip-on) with a current subscription. As my car was totaled, I had to replace it. Bought a 2013 car with a radio that is branded XM. Called tech support and they transferred my subscription and as the car had a free three month subscription, gave me the entire subscription for free for three months. There is no difference in reception. It may not make any difference on the newer radios if it is either Sirius or XM branded.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

said by stevek1949:

I had a portable Sirius radio (vehicle clip-on) with a current subscription. As my car was totaled, I had to replace it. Bought a 2013 car with a radio that is branded XM. Called tech support and they transferred my subscription and as the car had a free three month subscription, gave me the entire subscription for free for three months. There is no difference in reception. It may not make any difference on the newer radios if it is either Sirius or XM branded.

To me they are a difference in receptions. They test included 21 miles of open, wooded and city driving. The wooded part along a military of 9 miles. The opening was maybe 200 ft. It was a 2 lane road and set rail road tracks. The first test was with Xm
I lost signal 24 times which was from about an 1/2 to 10 seconds with half during the wooded part.
The next test was with a Sirius Stratus 8 radio using the course. I lost reception 9 times of about 1/2 to 4 seconds.
I think the XM satellites are more south then the Sirius satellites are.
rjbasye
join:2000-05-24
Dry Ridge, KY
Netgear R7000
Linksys PAP2

rjbasye

The current Sirius satellites not Geostationary like the XM satellites are. Sirius has 3 satellites that move in a figure 8 pattern. That will change in the future as they just launched a new satellite that will replace those satellites with a Geostationary satellite like XM has sometime in 2014. It is supposed to be more powerful as well.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

said by rjbasye:

The current Sirius satellites not Geostationary like the XM satellites are. Sirius has 3 satellites that move in a figure 8 pattern. That will change in the future as they just launched a new satellite that will replace those satellites with a Geostationary satellite like XM has sometime in 2014. It is supposed to be more powerful as well.

After I posted I looked at the Satellites paths. XM is close over Ecuador. Here is a site on the paths they take

»www.n2yo.com/whats-up/?c=33

Sirius FM-6 was lunched Oct 2013 and it looks it in a Geostationary like the xm. When it turn on I hope it does not act like XM in my reception. If it does I have to cancel my satellite service

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger
I take it you live up in Canada? The XM satalites are equatorial geosynch. The Sirius satellites have a special figure 8 orbit that goes way up north, with 3 satellites so that at least one is in range at any given time. That might be why Sirius works for you.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

1 edit

Caddyroger

Premium Member

said by signmeuptoo94:

I take it you live up in Canada? The XM satalites are equatorial geosynch. The Sirius satellites have a special figure 8 orbit that goes way up north, with 3 satellites so that at least one is in range at any given time. That might be why Sirius works for you.

Seattle Wa area. The newest Sirius sat is in a Geo-synch like the XM sat are. As long they keeping using the figure 8 sats I should be ok but not with the geo-synch sats