signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

6 recommendations

Typhoon aftermath: My girl helps others

So my siblings and I all donated to help people in the aftermath of the horrible typhoon in the Philippines. Alain went up to the North part of Cebu Island with some other people to help out, I don't know details yet, but of course I'm concerned about her safety, but this is another example why my dame is an alright kinda gal.

A lot of help is still needed for folks there, as you all know, and finally help is just starting to get to some people, a week later.

The US government is reaching out and has sent a carrier group there. The folks there are extremely grateful, many feel their own government has failed them (but ever since Katrina we all know that governments and charities take a long time, weeks even, to help folks. Many in the aftermath of Sandy still haven't gotten financial help yet!

If I have anything meaningful to report when Alain finally gets home, I'll pass it on. I talked with her for about 20 seconds while up North an hour ago.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

1 edit

Ok, all I have to report is it was disturbing what she saw. I think a group of them went up there, and my kid, Johnny handed out bags of stuff to people there. She's said it's utter destruction there, everything is flattened. She said young children, unattended children, are there begging for help (maybe some had their parents die?) In spite of how shaken up she was from the storm, she still went up there to help with what she could. And, no accident, the first time ever that she's raised her voice while chatting with me, was afterwards (she wasn't angry, just tense), she is very mild mannered, a great yin for my yang.

I decided that not grilling her and not focusing on this topic with her is best because it is very distressing for her, they are all traumatized understandably. I probably won't report much else, for what else is there to say, just that everybody on over a half dozen islands or the north parts of those islands is utter destruction, and days, weeks, and years of help will be needed and many may never recover. Here in the West we can rebuild, but there, with scarce jobs (yeah, even worse than here, far worse), and all their possessions gone, many will end up squatters and worse.

We have our own struggles here, most of us here know plenty about hardship, and we always encourage each other here, so I want to say, I know, we've all got troubles, but we are all in this together, from Mindanao to Detroit...

Alain told me tonight that a childhood friend living on the island of Samar lost everything, but survived.

I told her, "now you know why I keep saying get out of there, go to higher land, you know the water went 25 feet high, and it happened in just a few minutes, so if this ever happens again, get out of there!" and she said "yes, ok".

Many in the Visayas are exclaiming the virtues of the USA now, and thanking us and our president, and they are saying they want the USA to adopt and make the Visayas a state in the union. Wow.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.