uniqs

TAZ
@qwest.net

TAZ to billaustin

Anon

to billaustin

Re: Century Link terminating service

said by billaustin:

It buys them time. Every month they delay turning up more capacity means a delay in increasing expenses. No ISP wants the heavy users on their network. They all have methods for dealing with them. The more capacity a network has, the less likely they are to implement the control methods to alleviate the impact of the heavy users.

While this is true, they'd need to be terminating _a lot_ of DSL users to make any real difference. This buys them a little bit of time perhaps, but it also means they're getting rid of a recurring revenue stream and pissing a customer off (who may then go and tell 10 other people how badly they've been treated, and who probably won't be coming back to CL).

I'm wondering though if this is an attempt at putting off some upgrade expenses until next year. CL's fiscal year is the same as a calendar year according to Yahoo Finance. If this is really what they're doing, it's incredibly stupid and short-sighted.
said by billaustin:

Normally, a few customers won't cause the saturation of upstream links in a fiber fed area. As I said before, we don't know how widespread this CL tactic is, or the capacity and status of the network links it affects. There are still many CL areas (mostly rural), where a few heavy users can bring a DSLAM to a crawl.

You are right; in my mind I've got the idea that this is getting to be more common because it's the 2nd reported case in the last few weeks, but you are correct in that this really isn't a large enough sample size to develop an accurate picture.

I agree about the rural areas as well; when you've got a DSLAM served by a few T1s, it's easy to see how a single customer can cause congestion problems for everyone else, and in those rural areas it's also easy to see why they wouldn't want the expense of running fiber, upgrading the DSLAM, etc.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

Many of the corporate level decisions are based strictly off the accounting numbers. You are correct, it is not the best method and is short-sighted.

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby to TAZ

to TAZ
said by TAZ :

I agree about the rural areas as well; when you've got a DSLAM served by a few T1s, it's easy to see how a single customer can cause congestion problems for everyone else, and in those rural areas it's also easy to see why they wouldn't want the expense of running fiber, upgrading the DSLAM, etc.

On our rural DSLAMs served by T1s, it would be almost impossible to a heavy user of any kind.

I think I could upload and download 24 hours a day 30 days a month and not get anywhere close to the 150 GB monthly limit.

Our speeds are so slow, its impossible.

Remember a customer is a paying customer, no single user causes congestion, this is caused by the CL company, a customer uses the network, or at least tries to.
Technicholas
Premium Member
join:2010-11-11
West Des Moines, IA

Technicholas

Premium Member

I'm tired of CenturyLink I have also went over there 250gb several times but not received a letter we have been with them for 20+ years. I have 12/896k speeds. We are moving soon and would love to drop them and get 105mb speed from Mediacom!
GrandMstrBud
join:2005-05-25
Davenport, IA

GrandMstrBud

Well just download a bunch of stuff they'll shut you down with no 1st or 2nd warning.

dello
@qwest.net

dello

Anon

from my experience, I rebooted my modem (was having router issues) and I was greeted by a lovely webpage redirect when my modem booted.. basically just told me usage for the past 3 months and telling me to upgrade to business class yada yada.. so likely the warning was there you just never saw it because your modem never rebooted or retrained possibly? this could be just former qwest areas though..
GrandMstrBud
join:2005-05-25
Davenport, IA

GrandMstrBud

I didn't see any warning. By putting a redirect page (if that's what they do) is not a reliable way of notifying a customer.