spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

StickShift

@comcast.net

Where to learn to drive stick in Chicago?

I live in the NW burbs and am in need of a refresher course. The car I want to buy is manual only and its been literally 18 years since I've driven a manual. Any tips where to start?

Jon
Premium
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL
Post on craigslist and offer someone who has a manual a few bucks to let you take it for a spin. My guess is if you knew how at one time, it will probably come right back to you in a few minutes. It's like riding a bike.

Or maybe a driving school but that's probably pretty expensive.

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to StickShift
said by StickShift :

Any tips where to start?

A big empty parking lot would be my choice.

I agree, you will pick it back up quickly. One thing that you will notice is that the car will tend to slow faster when you take your foot off of the accelerator than with an automatic. Learn to downshift as you are making a slow turn. Consider dangling something from the mirror and practice shifting while minimizing the jerking of the pendulum.

xkunalx

join:2004-12-27
West Chicago, IL
reply to StickShift
Go to a car dealer and tell them you're looking to buy a manual but haven't driven one in years, and would like to try it out for a while.

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to StickShift
I taught my wife to drive a Motorcycle (manual transmission) in a Cemetery....

This location has the following things "Going for it":
1. Low amount of traffic
2. Start and stop often doesn't bother anyone.
3. Once you get the hang of it, you can tell person learning to treat every intersection as a stop sign, further complicating the learning experience..
4. Motorcycle benefit Only: Once you get the hang of it, tell person learning to use only right half of the road, in addition to treating every intersection as a stop sign, further complicating the learning experience.
5. All of above, with every intersection being a turn as well.
6. And the obvious indication of where you are (Cemetery), and the 'implied indications' of what you are doing, compared of this 'location'.....
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

aight

join:2001-12-18
Lafox, IL

2 edits
Not too many cemeteries in the NW suburbs where you can practice driving a manual car. I think St. Michael's across Harper college is too small.

I remember when I had to "re-learn" how to drive a manual, I borrowed a friend's car and practiced ain a large parking lot and then practiced on smaller roads where I was forced to change gears all the time.

After 2 days, it came back to me.
--
You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, 'My God, you're right! I never would've thought of that!'

lev
Anyone else remember ISDN?
Premium,Ex-mod 2002-08
join:2001-05-30
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
Didn't drive a stick for 10 years. Took me about 15 minutes to get comfortable driving a friend's; didn't stall out on the road and double-clutched a downshift a bit later like I was never away. The only lapse was I stalled it the first time I parked.

Kinda like riding a bicycle, which I do a lot.

Chinabound
Premium
join:2002-12-21
Antioch, IL
kudos:3
said by lev:

double-clutched a downshift...

What does he drive, a Freightliner?

To the (absent) OP, rent a small car with a manual transmission and head over to All Saints Cemetery in Des Plaines.
»maps.google.com/maps?client=safa···kQtgMwAA

drmorley
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-20
Park Ridge, IL

1 recommendation

said by Chinabound:

said by lev:

double-clutched a downshift...

What does he drive, a Freightliner?

Sounds like someone has seen Fast & Furious too many times. Been driving a manual for 22 years (never owned an automatic) and double clutching is slow, unnecessary and did I mention slow?

Heel 'n toe is what you'd use if you really want to get after it. Got to try it out at a Porsche driving school a few years back. Went again this summer and all the cars had PDK. I was skeptical at first, but after a few laps it's clear that manuals are dead in high end sports cars.

lev
Premium,Ex-mod 2002-08
Chicago, IL
I'm talking simply about syncing the RPM to where it's going to be when you downshift so there's no lurching; not the old, old form of doubling-clutching. I was taught to drive a stick by someone who used to race, and that was the term I was given.

It was a comfort move; not a power move.

drmorley
Premium,MVM
Park Ridge, IL

1 recommendation

Assuming the car was made after WWII it's got a synchromesh transmission making double clutching pointless and a waste of fuel.

If it's comfort you're looking for just put it in neutral, coast/brake and then drop it into the appropriate gear when you need to accelerate again.

lev
Premium,Ex-mod 2002-08
Chicago, IL
I was taught that double-clutching reduced wear on the synchros.

drmorley
Premium,MVM
Park Ridge, IL
I'm sure it does, but with modern engines and their equally modern lubricants I wouldn't sweat it. I'd be more more worried about activating the clutch twice as many times.

After driving the new Cayman S and 911 4s with PDK it made a believer out of me. As much as I hate to say it they operate better and faster when you want to really get after it. That and with hybrid tech making its way into so many engines I think manuals will be going away.

Jon
Premium
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL
said by drmorley:

After driving the new Cayman S and 911 4s with PDK it made a believer out of me. As much as I hate to say it they operate better and faster when you want to really get after it. That and with hybrid tech making its way into so many engines I think manuals will be going away.

Don't most high-end sports cars only come with manuals? I thought that was the case. Or at least it used to be.

drmorley
Premium,MVM
Park Ridge, IL
Most are double clutch automatics now.

kcazzie
One Of Jerry's Kids
Premium
join:2000-08-13
Morton Grove, IL
reply to StickShift
Hi all... Once you have the knack, find a incline and make sure you can balance the car just using the clutch and gas pedal... Also, make sure once you take your foot off the brake, on/at the incline, make sure you can control the car going forward (I always found this to be hardest part of learning to drive a manual/stick type car ... In the past teaching ppl how to drive stick, this was the hardest but a little practice and you'll be fine-- Good Luck ... Like Lev said, once you learn you never forget... Then again I've always had at least one stick car!!