uniqs

socialworker
M.S.W. Socialworker
join:2001-12-09
Bronx, NY

socialworker to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1

Re: [Optimum Voice] Verizon land line vs optimum voice

I just checked the bill and I'm paying 57.00 in voice package which includes unlimited nationwide calling, plus calling waiting and caller ID. On top of that I'm paying 20.00 in taxes. It appears I'm getting taken to the cleaners.

Voice
Federal Excise Tax.30
NY State and Local Sales Tax6.10
NY State and Local Sales Tax.16
911 Surcharge1.00
Federal Universal Service Fee1.02
NY State and Local Tax Surcharges.56
Federal Universal Service Fee2.47
Federal Subscriber Line Charge6.34
NY State and Local Tax Surcharges1.56
NY State and Local Tax Surcharges.20
NY State and Local Tax Surcharges1.11
Federal Universal Service Fee.23
NY State Gross Revenue Tax Surcharge.04
MCTD Gross Revenue Tax Surcharge.01
Carrier Cost Recovery Charge.99
Long Distance Administrative Charge.74
NY Universal Service Fund.05
Total Taxes, Fees & Other Charges 22.88

Booost
@optonline.net

Booost

Anon

I don't have any long distance calling on my POTS line. Only local calling. I use my cell phone for all toll / long distance calls.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to socialworker

Premium Member

to socialworker
said by socialworker:

It appears I'm getting taken to the cleaners.

Yes.

Don't you think it is time to do something about it?

-----

This is why OptimumVoice has acquired millions of customers (literally) from Verizon landline.

Verizon does NOT want your business anyway.

Here is public proof from the NY Times:

Roll over in your grave, Alexander Graham Bell.

That was in effect what Ivan Seidenberg, the chief executive of Verizon Communications -– one of the largest descendants of the old Bell System — declared this morning.

Speaking to a Goldman Sachs investor conference, Mr. Seidenberg said Verizon was simply no longer concerned with telephones that are connected with wires....

»bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2 ··· ss/?_r=0
ameridian
join:2013-06-23
Paterson, NJ

ameridian

"Mr. Seidenberg said Verizon was simply no longer concerned with telephones that are connected with wires...."

Got that impression too. I can recall two week stretches when the Verizon line was down. Also, they gave up our number to MJ within just a few days. A mutual good riddance of sorts.

socialworker
M.S.W. Socialworker
Bronx, NY

socialworker to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
Thank you! I just requested my landland number to be ported over to cablevision. Thank you for the New York Times link!

Booost
@optonline.net

Booost

Anon

Cablevision still raping you for $40 for the port?

socialworker
M.S.W. Socialworker
Bronx, NY

socialworker

Yup, but to be honest I would rather the one time fee of 40.00 than 80.00 monthly.

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

1 recommendation

MxxCon to socialworker

to socialworker
said by socialworker:

911 Surcharge1.00
Federal Universal Service Fee1.02
NY State and Local Tax Surcharges.56
Federal Universal Service Fee2.47
Federal Subscriber Line Charge6.34
NY State and Local Tax Surcharges1.56
NY State and Local Tax Surcharges.20
NY State and Local Tax Surcharges1.11
Federal Universal Service Fee.23
NY State Gross Revenue Tax Surcharge.04
MCTD Gross Revenue Tax Surcharge.01
Carrier Cost Recovery Charge.99
Long Distance Administrative Charge.74
NY Universal Service Fund.05
Total Taxes, Fees & Other Charges 22.88

None of these are real taxes. These are fees that VZ decided to charge you on their own.
I'm surprised they didn't have "office toilet paper fee" and "burned coffee replacement surcharge" on there. :/

Booost
@151.190.40.x

Booost to socialworker

Anon

to socialworker
Switching from POTS to OV wouldn't save me any money. And then there's the $40 porting fee imposed by Cablevision, plus the $40 fee for installation even though the tech would do absolutely nothing. $80 for Cablevision to do bupkis.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

Isn't there still an option for self install?
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by WK2:

Isn't there still an option for self install?

If you pick a new phone number.

But if you port a number, OV does insist on coming.

There are plenty of fine 3rd party VoIP companies (Voipo, CallCentric, BasicTalk, to name a few) and many of them charge nothing for porting. But for the OP who was hesitant to leave Verizon at all, OV seemed a good first step.
rick0204
join:2009-05-20
North Bergen, NJ

rick0204 to Booost

to Booost
You can get one of the fees waived. Call to cancel the install due to the $80 fees and one will be waived.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to Booost

MVM,

to Booost
said by Booost :

Switching from POTS to OV wouldn't save me any money. And then there's the $40 porting fee imposed by Cablevision, plus the $40 fee for installation even though the tech would do absolutely nothing. $80 for Cablevision to do bupkis.

You can get the install requirement waived if you complain enough. I had to talk to a supervisor and basically promise not to touch the verizon wiring. Also had to agree that cable vision would not be responsible if I connected both services together at the same time. I told them I'd be using the service with a stand alone phone plugged directly into the modem to make things easy.

Once the number was ported, I unplugged the phone line going to the Verizon ONT and plugged in the CV modem. Ridiculous they charge $40 for that.

FallenAnjel
join:2011-04-07
East Cupcake

FallenAnjel to WK2

to WK2
When I first moved to my place I got only OOL/iO since I intended on using my cell phone (pre-paid at the time) but ended up having no signal. A few months later I went to add OV and I did it online. There was an option for "self install" but I wanted to keep my cell phone number so I called them. They had no clue about the self install option online so I sent the CSR a screenshot and he said I cannot do that. I said "So why do you have the option online?" I told them to forget it because I wasn't paying $40 for someone to plug in my phone to the modem. So they waived the installation fee. Then I asked for the triple play discount since I had just gotten OOL/iO a few months prior and they said no, so I again said, "Well, cancel my order". They "asked a manager" and they gave me the discount.

I ended up getting a new number anyway. I got an iphone 6 months later.

NYSPSC
@rr.com

NYSPSC to MxxCon

Anon

to MxxCon
Just because you dot know what those taxes mean MxxCon doesn't mean they aren't real.

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

MxxCon

said by NYSPSC :

Just because you dot know what those taxes mean MxxCon doesn't mean they aren't real.

I never said taxes were not real. I said SURCHARGES were not real taxes and were not required by government be collected or passed on to the customer.
ok then, genius. Educate everybody here and give us specific explanation on what they are.
To simplify things, I'll even quote them here for you:

911 Surcharge                      1.00
Federal Universal Service Fee 1.02
NY State and Local Tax Surcharges .56
Federal Universal Service Fee 2.47
Federal Subscriber Line Charge 6.34
NY State and Local Tax Surcharges 1.56
NY State and Local Tax Surcharges .20
NY State and Local Tax Surcharges 1.11
Federal Universal Service Fee .23
NY State Gross Revenue Tax Surcharge .04
MCTD Gross Revenue Tax Surcharge .01