uniqs

davidc502
join:2002-03-06
Mount Juliet, TN

davidc502 to FactChecker

to FactChecker

Re: OT

said by FactChecker:

OT: Can you show an example of this situation? Given networks connect together via layer 3 (IP) using BGP, I don't know what you mean.

You picked the exact point out, because they don't always connect together on layer 3. ISP's often use high speed layer 2 and layer 3 switching between layer 3 routers. Trace routes aren't going to show the switches in between the routers.

The simplest example is where I work. I can trace route google, and I can see my egress router, and the next hop is ATT (ISP). One would logically think they are peers, but you would be wrong. In fact my Egress is a BGP peer with a ATT router, and if you thought they are direct peers because of BGP, is not right. This is because between us and ATT, there are two ISP's connected to each other via layer 2 switches. So trace routes never show you the switches in between the routers.

Also, layer 3 switches have gained in popularity, and depending on how they are configured, they may or may not show up on a trace route either.

Hope that helps.

David
LeeSoFL
join:2014-02-18
USA

LeeSoFL to Robert Myers

to Robert Myers

Re: [Speed] Netflix Comcast does not support HD streaming

For the last four days, here in So Florida, Netflix thru Comcast has remained constant at 1080 SuperHD all day long, even during evening prime time.

The only thing I noticed on the "Example Short" test is that my max 1080 SHD bitrate had been 5.8Mbps, but 1080 SHD bitrate now shows 4.3Mbps.

The picture looks very good, but I'm wondering if they've done something to the SHD to use less data second by second.
mrschultz02
join:2007-09-10
Wallingford, PA
Asus RT-AC88

mrschultz02 to Robert Myers

to Robert Myers
Here just south of Philly there has been improvement, but it's kind of odd. Earlier in the week I was seeing bursts of 5800 Kbps on the test video but it was still dropping back to 1050 quite often. Last 2 days the variability has pretty much gone away but the max speed is 3850. No matter what device I use it will go to 3850 and stay there.

That still looks pretty good, it is 1080 resolution at 3850, but it's odd that 5800 is not available.

Desii
join:2014-02-25
Yuba City, CA

Desii

Try disabling IPV6.
I had the same issue with all of my IPV6 enabled devices, where as my Smart TV, PS3, Blu-Ray player, etc. were fine. 9/10 times it would connect me to Level 3, and the one other time it would connect me to the Comcast-Netlfix connection across the country in New York. When connected to Level 3 it would only max out at 3850. After disabling IPV6 it connects me to the local Comcast-Netflix server in San Jose California, and I'm getting a 5800 bitrate every time.
mrschultz02
Wallingford, PA
Asus RT-AC88

mrschultz02

said by Desii:

Try disabling IPV6.

Disable it on the router? I know my Roku doesn't do IPV6 so it can't be that for that device.

Desii
Yuba City, CA

Desii

said by mrschultz02:

said by Desii:

Try disabling IPV6.

Disable it on the router? I know my Roku doesn't do IPV6 so it can't be that for that device.

Yes, on the router.

Edit - I'm guessing either that, or they haven't increased capacity in your area yet.
vandergraff2
join:2005-10-17

vandergraff2

Doubt IPv6 is causing any issues.

The only info from Netflix I have seen is they were experimenting with IPv6 streaming on PCs (Windows and Apple).

On my local network my Apple TV and various IOS and Android devices get IPv6 addresses - all of them have no issue getting the highest quality Netflix connections on my Comcast 25 Mbps connection.
mrschultz02
Wallingford, PA
Asus RT-AC88

mrschultz02

said by vandergraff2:

Doubt IPv6 is causing any issues.

I tried disabling it and no change, no device will go faster than 3850. So turned IPv6 back on. At least it's a big improvement over the last several months getting only SD. Maybe they are still working on the new connections in the Philly area?

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

We were watching Netflix last night here just north of Wilmington, DE - and the PQ was unreal. Literally have never seen programming outside of a BluRay look that good on our set.

Mrschultz - do you know where you are connecting to Netflix from? They've turned up the direct peering here in our area.
mrschultz02
Wallingford, PA
Asus RT-AC88

mrschultz02

said by SeattleMatt:

We were watching Netflix last night here just north of Wilmington, DE - and the PQ was unreal. Literally have never seen programming outside of a BluRay look that good on our set.

Mrschultz - do you know where you are connecting to Netflix from? They've turned up the direct peering here in our area.

Have you run the test video? Maybe it's just that video, tonight I'll try some superHD TV shows and see how they look on the Roku.

EmoHobo
join:2010-07-16

EmoHobo to Robert Myers

to Robert Myers
So as someone who's not super knowledgeable on speeds and how Netflix works, in short is this why I pay for 50 Megs download but my Netflix videos love to flicker between 480 and 720?
Madtown
Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

Madtown to Robert Myers

Premium Member

to Robert Myers
I watched a few stuff on Netflix this weekend and they been playing in HD on my Xbox 360. Everytime I check it shows HD. So I think my connection is more direct now. I can't say for sure, but I do notice HD more often than before.

davidc502
Mount Juliet, TN

davidc502 to EmoHobo

to EmoHobo
said by EmoHobo:

So as someone who's not super knowledgeable on speeds and how Netflix works, in short is this why I pay for 50 Megs download but my Netflix videos love to flicker between 480 and 720?

It just goes to show you it doesn't matter how much "speed" you have. If Netflix is saturated or Comcast's network is congested, you're going to be buffering.

I believe the latter to be more true (Comcast).

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

1 recommendation

train_wreck

said by davidc502:

Except in this case, it seems it was the former (Netflix)

to be precise, technically a "third party" in between comcast and netflix, who was already known within this industry for pulling this kind of stunt.

I'm guessing it'll take a few weeks/months for all the available capacity to come online nationwide, so i'd expect performance to be erratic for the near future.

davidc502
Mount Juliet, TN

1 edit

davidc502

said by train_wreck:

to be precise, technically a "third party" in between comcast and netflix, who was already known within this industry for pulling this kind of stunt.

I'm not buying it (Cogent). Not to say they haven't had problems, it's just fishy to me is all.

The day after they send out notification about creating a peering deal with Netflix, I could suddenly stream HD again. I know Comcast will work fast to peer directly with Netflix, but within a 12 hours? I don't think so.

There's a lack of trust here.... »www.computerworld.com/s/ ··· nown_it?

jlivingood
Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

jlivingood to train_wreck

Premium Member

to train_wreck
said by train_wreck:

said by davidc502:

Except in this case, it seems it was the former (Netflix)

Quote so. Performance has been improving steadily as we have added more direct capacity.
jlivingood

jlivingood to davidc502

Premium Member

to davidc502
said by davidc502:

The day after they send out notification about creating a peering deal with Netflix, I could suddenly stream HD again. I know Comcast will work fast to peer directly with Netflix, but within a 12 hours? I don't think so

Bringing on significant direct capacity obviously did the trick. Glad to hear that is reflected in better quality for you - and our metrics reflect that as well.

Morac
Cat god
join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

Morac to Robert Myers

to Robert Myers
My path to Netflix still goes through Level 3, but I can stream 1080p HD as long as I don't connect to the NYC servers. If I connect to one of them, I'll get 368p SD at best. If I connect to the Washington DC servers, I'll get 1080p. Fortunately the later happens much more often than the former and if the former does happen, stopping and starting the video seems to get me on the later.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

1 edit

andyross to Robert Myers

MVM

to Robert Myers
Netflix released their latest ranking. No real change in Comcast's ranking yet, but the average speed is up a bit. This covers February, which means there is barely a week of direct connection, and even that was probably only some areas. There should be big jumps for March and April.

»ispspeedindex.netflix.com/usa

Ars Technica has a graph showing the change over the past few months in their report:
»arstechnica.com/business ··· -wallet/

And DSLR's own story:
»Comcast Sees Gains In Netflix Streaming Rankings [32] comments
Bobby_Peru
Premium Member
join:2003-06-16

Bobby_Peru to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood
Aloha jlivingood See Profile in the City of Bodily Harm! Any timetable for for SE Florida?

gary50
@comcast.net

gary50 to Desii

Anon

to Desii
I am not as knowledgeable about routers as I would like. I noticed that on my router under IPV4 connectivity it shows "internet". And under IPV6 it shows "no internet access."

I'm wondering what the difference is between the two and if one is preferable to the other. Am I OK keeping it as it is or would I be better off changing it to IPV6?

I live in New Jersey if that makes a difference.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Gary

davidc502
Mount Juliet, TN

davidc502

Currently, you're better off with IPv4 because IPv6 has not been completely adopted by all. If you wish to be at the fore-front of technology, then by all means look into it. Otherwise I would leave it alone for a bit more time.

My 2ยข

Desii
Yuba City, CA

Desii to gary50

to gary50
said by gary50 :

Am I OK keeping it as it is or would I be better off changing it to IPV6?

There's no harm in enabling it. We won't need to go IPV6 only for many years. Either way you won't notice a difference.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to gary50

MVM

to gary50
said by gary50 :

Am I OK keeping it as it is or would I be better off changing it to IPV6?

If the only sites you ever visit are on the IPv4 Internet, it would be OK (not necessarily "better") to leave IPv6 disabled.

Enabling IPv6 is only necessary to reach sites which are IPv6 only; probably not many, if any, domestic (USA) sites are.

But I occasionally visit a Far East Asian site which is announcing an IPv6 address, so I have it enabled.

UnclePaul
@comcast.net

UnclePaul to jlivingood

Anon

to jlivingood
While Philly is much better than it had been a month ago, I still cannot get super Hd to work on anything except my Apple TV. There's still something missing.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 recommendation

DocDrew

Premium Member

Click for full size
said by UnclePaul :

While Philly is much better than it had been a month ago, I still cannot get super Hd to work on anything except my Apple TV. There's still something missing.

What else are you trying to get it to work on? Device support is still limited: »help.netflix.com/en/node/8731

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to Robert Myers

MVM

to Robert Myers
Tried using my WDTV Live Saturday morning (between 10:30-11:30AM CT). I have an Ethernet switch visible so I can see the network activity.

It quickly ramped up to 720HD, but then seemed to be somewhat stuck and bounced between that and 1080HD. After trying to see if it would settle down, after about 3 minutes I paused it and let it fill the buffer. Once I did that and started playing, it had moved up to 1080, and was buffering normally (just a blink for a second or so every 2-3 seconds.).

Earlier on the BDP-380 in the bedroom, it's bitrate was normally around 20M+, but a few times dropped to around 8-9M.
clocks11
join:2002-05-06

clocks11

This is concerning. Im currently in Arl Hts on WOW, and have no issues playing HD Netflix on my Rokus. I want to switch to Comcast for the higher speeds, but if I can't stream in HD, why bother.

UnclePaul
@comcast.net

UnclePaul to DocDrew

Anon

to DocDrew
I'm trying to get it to work on devices that have had it work in the past. They certainly are more than capable of streaming at 58000
Madtown
Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

Madtown to Robert Myers

Premium Member

to Robert Myers
I have been streaming in HD non-stop on my Xbox 360 lately.