Search similar:

uniqs

Desii
join:2014-02-25
Yuba City, CA

Desii to Madtown

to Madtown

Re: [Speed] Netflix Comcast does not support HD streaming

I think over 90% of the people are getting the increased capacity. This thread has been dead lately and only a few people are still having problems.
neil0311
join:2005-07-24
Marietta, GA

neil0311 to Robert Myers

to Robert Myers
Watched the entire first season of American Horror Story in HD/5.1, and the quality was fantastic. Not a single instance of buffering or pixilation for the entire 12 episodes.

CSPeirce
@comcast.net

CSPeirce

Anon

Just got off the phone with Comcast then Netflix. I can stream a show from Amazon in HD and then try to do the same with Netflix and get SD always. Both Comcast and Netflix blame the other. This forum seems to indicate it is Netflix. Anyone succeed in getting Netflix to stream HD?
vandergraff2
join:2005-10-17

vandergraff2

said by CSPeirce :

This forum seems to indicate it is Netflix. Anyone succeed in getting Netflix to stream HD?

If you read through the posts in this thread you will see lots of people have - including the post directly above yours.

MAIZnBLUE
Premium Member
join:2004-01-15
Milan, MI

MAIZnBLUE to Robert Myers

Premium Member

to Robert Myers
I've watch the first nine episodes of house of cards in super HD no problem..
LeeSoFL
join:2014-02-18
USA

LeeSoFL to CSPeirce

to CSPeirce
For the last week or two, the Comcast flow for Netflix has been fine, SuperHD even during peak hours.

South Florida area.

Geot
@verizon.net

Geot

Anon

What happened to all the people that kept maintaining this was a Netflix issue and just couldn't be ISP related?

"Netflix has been battling with Comcast and other ISPs for some time over poor download speeds for its streaming customers. Comcast and Verizon, among others, have long sought to extract payment from Netflix because it generates an inordinate amount of all residential Internet traffic, about 30%. The ISPs drew a line in the sand, refusing to implement capacity upgrades that would allow for acceptable streaming speeds. "

»www.forbes.com/sites/ama ··· trality/

davidc502
join:2002-03-06
Mount Juliet, TN

davidc502

said by Geot :

What happened to all the people that kept maintaining this was a Netflix issue and just couldn't be ISP related?

I've known about it for quite some time, and have said my peace on this issue. Good luck trying to convince others of it.

HeyyA
@myvzw.com

HeyyA

Anon

said by davidc502:

said by Geot :

I've known about it for quite some time, and have said my peace on this issue. Good luck trying to convince others of it.

It clearly is ISP related. Many different broadband providers started having issues since sep-oct when Netflix ramped their in house CDN

The ISP problem has been Netflix's transit selection. Netflix picked very specific transit (cogent, etc) vs adapting to avoid congestions as the legacy CDNs have done. This is why people got good performance via other CDNs and bad with Netflix CDN. Also explains why VPN tricked the Netflix serving choices

davidc502
join:2002-03-06
Mount Juliet, TN

1 edit

davidc502

Cogent clearly the scape-goat in the above. However, I haven't seen Netflix complain about Cogent. It doesn't mean it doesn't exist, it's just I haven't read anything about it.

What's even more amazing is the following.....

1. End users pay ISP Comcast to be able to get to Internet (streaming etc).
2. Content providers (Netflix) pay Comcast to get in the door faster to the end users.

3. End users streaming Netflix goes against their monthly data-cap.

What's wrong with the picture here? Comcast gets paid twice, and they get to limit how much end users are downloading to protect their own TV service interests.

Talk about a Win, Win, Win situation for Comcast, and other ISP's.

Can we see legislation happening down the road?? Or will some ISP's be so big they can pay (LOBBY) their way out of any situation?

an·ti·trust

/anttrst,ant-/

adjective

adjective: anti-trust

1.of or relating to legislation preventing or controlling trusts or other monopolies, with the intention of promoting competition in business.
slick1ru23
join:2003-06-07
Marietta, GA

slick1ru23 to Robert Myers

to Robert Myers
I have a business Comcast account and NEVER had an issue with streaming from anyone, including NetFlix. And that's our major source of data throughput, in the 300-400GB/month range. I can watch 3D NetFlix on my PS3 without issue and I think that requires like 12mbps. So I wonder if throttling is a residential only issue. Business accounts are supposed to have preferred packet treatment through their network and that is just another indicator that makes me think throttling is a residential only issue.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

I thought this thread (issue) was put to bed a long time ago. Comes down to Netflix wants to be a host but does not want to pay the bandwidth charges associated with hosting.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck to Robert Myers

to Robert Myers
one thing i've wondered recently, the consensus is that this agreement w/Comcast will be better deal for Netflix, cheaper than the alternatives which i would assume is paying another CDN or expanding out their own CDN. Is this true, will it actually be cheaper for them?

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG to slick1ru23

Premium Member

to slick1ru23
said by slick1ru23:

Business accounts are supposed to have preferred packet treatment through their network

Are you sure about that ?
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss to train_wreck

Premium Member

to train_wreck
said by train_wreck:

Is this true, will it actually be cheaper for them?

In the end, it should be - but we're not likely to ever really truly know unless the "feud" keeps going asking for regulatory intervention. If they push it, one of the first things (imo) that they will ask for is disclosure on current and prior transit agreements, which if that occurs, we may find out how much or little NetFlix is truly paying.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck to slick1ru23

to slick1ru23
said by slick1ru23:

Business accounts are supposed to have preferred packet treatment through their network

You would think, wouldn't you?

FWIW, we experienced the exact same problems on our BCI account as did everyone else.
train_wreck

train_wreck to AVonGauss

to AVonGauss
said by AVonGauss:

said by train_wreck:

In the end, it should be - but we're not likely to ever really truly know unless the "feud" keeps going asking for regulatory intervention.

I suppose that Netflix price hikes, if they happen, might be an indicator of how well the deal went

I would imagine that neither side would be chomping at the bit for full disclosure.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss

Premium Member

I don't know anymore than you about NetFlix's financials, but I would imagine the price increases rumored previously would be more attributable to content acquisition costs. I would also imagine the content acquisition expenditures far exceed any distribution (including transit) costs.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to train_wreck

Premium Member

to train_wreck
Its just cutting out a middle man. It doesnt have to be cheaper. But anytime bandwidth doesnt have to pass thru a extra party its going to be better for the end result.

Streetlight
join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO

Streetlight to train_wreck

to train_wreck
said by train_wreck:

said by AVonGauss:

said by train_wreck:

In the end, it should be - but we're not likely to ever really truly know unless the "feud" keeps going asking for regulatory intervention.

I suppose that Netflix price hikes, if they happen, might be an indicator of how well the deal went

I would imagine that neither side would be chomping at the bit for full disclosure.

Not necessarily. Netflix might just want to make more money.

tigerpaw509
join:2011-01-19

tigerpaw509 to Robert Myers

to Robert Myers
Works Great for me
mrschultz02
join:2007-09-10
Wallingford, PA

mrschultz02 to Robert Myers

to Robert Myers
I think my area finally got fully connected in the last day or so, after 2 weeks of topping out at 3850 tonight the test video was going all the way to 5800 and staying there.

Desii
join:2014-02-25
Yuba City, CA

Desii to Robert Myers

to Robert Myers
For the past few days I've been having trouble watching Netflix in HD (mostly topping at 1750 Kbps) around 7:00 PM, up until 10:00 PM, and 9:00 being the worst. I've been connected to the direct comcast-netflix connection since the deal was announced. Heres an example of some of the servers I'm having trouble with.
ipv4_1.lagg0.c031.sjc002.ix.nflxvideo.net
ipv4_1.lagg0.c015.sjc002.ix.nflxvideo.net
ipv4_1.lagg0.c005.sjc002.ix.nflxvideo.net
Traceroutes are normal.
This issue is only with these sjc002 servers Netflix is routing me to. Like 20% of the time Netflix routes me to the Los Angeles server and I get an instant 5800 bitrate regardless of what time it is. This issue just started like 4 days ago. This issue is only with the servers in San Jose, CA. These servers used to be just like the Los Angeles servers and got me a 5800 Kbps even during prime time, up until a few days ago. Since I'm in Northern California, these servers are closest to me, and I don't blame Netflix routing me to them.