All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

kjrichmond
@rogers.com

kjrichmond

Anon

[Modem/Router] Rogers Hiltron Wifi Boost?

Hi all
I've got a Hiltron and I've noticed in my tiny apartment (that is really big length wise) I can sometimes not get service in my bedroom. I've moved and adjusted the router as best I can and while it has improved.. I'm still noticing some issues.

My question is - can I buy a wifi antenna booster from ebay (USB one?) and plug it in to the modem - will this help with the connection in the apartment?

any help would be great.. thank you!
simon726
join:2006-12-21
Ajax, ON

simon726

Personally, I would disable the Hitron's Wifi/Cable Modem function (gateway mode or something like that) and change the Hitron - solely into a "modem only" mode (technically known as "Bridge Mode").

I personally don't have the Hitron modem myself, but I have the Cisco DPC3825 cable modem/wireless gateway in which I changed that into a "modem only" operation.

I also have my own wireless router as well (I used the Linksys E2500 dual-band wireless N router) when I used the Cisco DPC3825 when it is configured to a "modem only" operation.

I heard that Netgear Wireless-N routers are a good suggestion.

AppleGuy
Premium Member
join:2013-09-08
Kitchener, ON

AppleGuy to kjrichmond

Premium Member

to kjrichmond
The post below yours or you can get an Apple Airport and have it as an "Access Point". I'm in a bungalow so between the two floor and long layout, the POS from Rogers won't get to the other part of the house. Ça la vie! The Apple Airport route would be pretty painless though. Just get a long enough ethernet cable and place where you want it.
Hooter
join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON

Hooter

I will never understand why it comes to this - either bridging the Rogers POS or having to set up a router as an "Access Point". Surely by now Rogers must realize that their equipment is crap! Do they just not care?

AppleGuy
Premium Member
join:2013-09-08
Kitchener, ON

AppleGuy

Premium Member

I'd have bridged my modem, but I use a DNS service so I can have HuluPlus and MLB Baseball and for some reason, once bridged, the router takes the modems DNS and not the one you put in manually. When the Rogers device is not set in bridge mode, you can alter the DNS within their device and your entire home is covered.

Anyway, I agree. Their devices are pieces of crap, and most likely the cheapest they can find. I have a Cisco device, and it's a POS. But to be honest, even my 1 Apple Airport device had a hard time delivering to the entire home, once I stream, it's game over for a good connection. So I have an Apple Express at the rear of the house, and an Airport Extreme at the front of the house. Everything works good now.

These apartments have a lot of metal in the walls. It does screw the wifi a lot. I just thing an decent quality access point is your best bet, and Apple couldn't make that part any easier.

kjrichmond
@rogers.com

kjrichmond

Anon

i did it!
thanks guys. put the modem in bridge mode and then set up a wireless router.

thanks!

Xstar_Lumini
join:2008-12-14
CANADA

Xstar_Lumini to kjrichmond

to kjrichmond
This modem is weak. How can you explain that 2 other wi-fi signals from other apartments in my building have a stronger signal in my room than my Hiltron which is inside my apartment?

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to Hooter

to Hooter
said by Hooter:

I will never understand why it comes to this - either bridging the Rogers POS or having to set up a router as an "Access Point". Surely by now Rogers must realize that their equipment is crap! Do they just not care?

Because most, if not all, combination internet gateways don't perform well. But its what the average consumer typically wants to avoid "clutter".
simon726
join:2006-12-21
Ajax, ON

simon726

I have to agree with your statement.

If you're a "tech savvy" person like me, I often like to "bypass" that special USB key that Rogers provided - when setting up the modem/router combo that you got with your service.

I usually go into the admin settings on my web browser, configure the settings and from there, I can choose the selection in which that I can configure the particular modem/router combo (either if its a Cisco, Hitron or SMC - no wait, are SMC modem/router combos still around and/or supported) to go solely into a "modem only" operation - also known as "Bridge mode".