spc
uniqs

Booost
@optonline.net

Booost to christos

Anon

to christos

Re: Smoke detectors - hardwired

Kidde (Firex) makes a photocell model which is similar to the ionization unit I linked to. So get that one if you want.

Requiring photocell units seems dumb to me. I have ionization units next to the bathroom, next to the washing machine, and near a heating supply duct, and they all work fine. Zero false alarms.

The State of NJ inspects our smoke/CO detectors every 5 years. They're fine with the Kidde ionization ones we have.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

said by Booost :

The State of NJ inspects our smoke/CO detectors every 5 years. They're fine with the Kidde ionization ones we have.

As in, they enter your home and check them?

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

I would hope that they don't infringe on the citizens rights that much.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to ke4pym

Premium Member

to ke4pym
said by ke4pym:

said by Booost :

As in, they enter your home and check them?

Under the Canadian Fire Protection and Prevention Act; the FD does have the right to enter and check for compliance...

That said - unless we've got complaints from By-Law or other agencies, we don't push the issue.

Departments routinely to voluntary inspections (door to door; "Hi, we'd like to check your detectors, may we come in?" kind of thing) or check detectors while in the premise for other reasons (medical assistance calls, etc).

I'm not sure how the US laws are setup, though.

OldCableGuy
@communications.net

1 recommendation

OldCableGuy to Jack_in_VA

Anon

to Jack_in_VA
What citizen rights, your right to die in a fire?

I wish fire departments did inspections here in Iowa, lots of people die every year because smoke detectors either were not working or missing completely.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

2 recommendations

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

You may want government intrusion but the majority of Americans would not agree. What's to keep them from "inspecting" other things? Nothing. Once it starts there are no limits.

Maintaining smoke detectors is the responsible thing to do but it's not up to government to force their way into homes without a search warrant detailing probable cause to "inspect".

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to OldCableGuy

Mod

to OldCableGuy
said by OldCableGuy :

What citizen rights

Around here it would be called a warrant.
54067323 (banned)
join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

54067323 (banned) to Jack_in_VA

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

You may want government intrusion but the majority of Americans would not agree. What's to keep them from "inspecting" other things? Nothing. Once it starts there are no limits.

It is not inspecting other things, it is what things they see while doing an inspection which have noting to do with the scope of the inspection...

54067323 (banned) to robbin

to robbin
said by robbin:

Around here it would be called a warrant.

And around here it would be warranted.