spc
Search similar:

uniqs

powerclip
@cgocable.net

powerclip

Anon

[TV] Dolby Digital 5.1 sound problem.

anyone experiencing problems with Cogeco 5.1 sound? Was working fine a couple of days ago but recently only a few channels are coming in 5.1 sound. On the menu guide channels are indicated as 5.1 but they are only coming in as 2 channel digital. The sound works fine on the On Demand HD movies.
Have checked my system and can receive 5.1 fine on PS3, HTPC and Apple TV. only problem is with most of the HD Channels on Cogeco a select few channels are fine. Any thought would be much appreciated.
Let me know if anyone else is experiencing this problem. Thanks.

MisterMom8
join:2004-09-08
Kingston, ON

MisterMom8

I think its a bit of a misunderstanding and had me fooled for a while as well, The channels may well support 5.1 but the actual program may not be recorded with 5.1 sound.

powerclip
@cgocable.net

powerclip

Anon

Thank you for your quick response. I appreciate what you are suggesting but I don't think that is the case. Programs like Big Bang Theory, Two and a Half Men, NCIS etc. are recorded in 5.1 and I am not able to receive them in 5.1.
The reason I am asking if anyone else is having the same problem is that I am concerned that it may be Cogeco that is scaling it back to 2 channel in order to save bandwidth and not telling us?

MisterMom8
Kingston, ON

MisterMom8 to powerclip

to powerclip
Ok that was not made clear on your first post, however I have not had any of these issues myself, at least not that i have noticed.
MisterMom8

MisterMom8

I stand corrected, I just noticed this happening on 776 where it says it is in 5.1 and it is not. And as I write this my cable goes out LOL.

powerclip
@cgocable.net

powerclip

Anon

Let me know how you make out with your cable when it comes back. Check some of the channels that say they are 5.1 and post if they are actually or if you are getting 2 channel.
powerclip

powerclip

Anon

problem solved. Cogeco may have done a firmware update or something that effected my settings. In the setup menu I have always had the hdmi setting for sound set to Auto and things have worked well in the past. I set the sound setting to "pass through" instead of "auto" and it solved the problem. Now all channels that are supposed to be 5.1 are working properly.

thanks for you imput Mr. Mom8. I hope hope your cable comes back soon and all works will for you.

Cogeco_Aaron
Premium Member
join:2011-07-11

Cogeco_Aaron to powerclip

Premium Member

to powerclip
Glad to hear you got it working!

MisterMom8
Kingston, ON

MisterMom8 to powerclip

to powerclip
Yeah it was only out for a minute, does that occasionally i think its the channel itself. I went over my settings as well and changed a few settings I did not know existed and it seems to be working better now. Thanks to you for mentioning it.