All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

btfd
@198.2.77.x

btfd

Anon

So teksavvy is raising prices, so I guess it has to be asked..

Is Start going to?

Nice thread on the teksavvy forum about what Rogers (and others?) are bribi... err, asking the crtc to do.

The retroactive part is loltastic.

:-/

DavePC
join:2013-08-18
Scarborough, ON
Sagemcom F@st 5689
Technicolor CGM4331
Obihai OBi200

1 edit

DavePC

I don't think so, Start has been on ATPIA from the start*, and we do have lower caps and higher costs than TekSavvy, and we are a smaller size- so I doubt it.

*wow bad pun, not from the start entirely, but was one of the first TPIA's to offer it

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck to btfd

to btfd
the other thing to consider is TSI has no way of really monitoring. i don't have numbers but I assume there's quite a few that use way more than their monthly cap.

unlimited didn't use to matter to much with the older pricing model, but it's murder now for TPIAs to offer it for cheap or to not actually monitor customer usage.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS

The increases Rogers is seeking to has nothing to do with APOI or CBB (if understood the document right) rates but the flat rates charged per customer access (like the port rate on GAS).

There's a flat per connection rate specific to every speed tier the Cablecos offer to TPIA.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

It's true that we have a new file we have to respond to in regards to Rogers, and likely the other cablecos shortly. As correctly stated, these are for circuit prices so it has nothing to do with the rate for CBB or quota/usage, etc. If they are approved we (and everyone) will have no choice but to increase prices, however the retro is definitely a huge issue that may require predictive pricing increases as it's likely it'll take several months until the file is closed and if the final rates are say $5 more on average times x months times y customers, well, we're talking some serious bananas.

In regards to Teksavvy, I skimmed over Marc's post and I believe he's saying that their proposed increase is due to increased costs, experience under the new CBB framework, etc and isn't related to the recent cost study. This is pretty normal, ie all ISP's have rising costs right now. Before capacity pricing we had a balance of rising and declining input costs which held the cost of internet to about the same price year after year, ie staff/rent/utilities going up as well as usage per customer, but the cost of transit/transport was going down which balanced things out. Now that the majority of the cost is in capacity and that's the number on the rise as more people move their media online, there are no declining costs to offset and as a result it's pretty realistic to expect small adjustments over time.

We're trying to figure out if we can find a blended middle ground somewhere that takes into account inflationary costs (especially on the Cogeco side) we too are experiencing, as well as what we predict the final rate increases will be.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

said by rocca:

If they are approved we (and everyone) will have no choice but to increase prices

Not surprised when one of the requested increases is almost $10/mo...