Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:1
reply to DarkLogix

Re: Rename Win 7 profile

said by DarkLogix:

What about if you take ownership?

That is the key. You have to take ownership first, close out of the security properties, then go back in to change permissions.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

said by Camelot One:

said by DarkLogix:

What about if you take ownership?

That is the key. You have to take ownership first, close out of the security properties, then go back in to change permissions.

However as its a user's profile folder you need to reboot and login as a different user first, as the folder will be locked once the user logged in.

I once ran into something similar on an exch server, the C drive had gotten full and part of the other person's clean up to get enough space to fix the cause they managed to force some odd stuff on my admin profile, I had to wait months for the server to be rebooted before I could loggin at all to the server.
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to Camelot One

I thought I took ownership of it previously, but I didn't get the pop up to apply to all items.

I also ran an SFC /SCANNOW prior to the registry import below and some issues were found and corrected.

I exported these two registry keys, mentioned in this post.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\FolderDescriptions

from my machine. Then imported into the problem machine. Then I was able to take ownership, with the pop up to apply to all items, and finally I was able to rename the folder.

The issue should be resolved, once I can have the user log back in.
--
"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." - Robert A. Heinlein

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Confirmed that the issue was resolved had the user logged back in to create a new profile, rebooted the machine and logged in with the local Administrator account to copy the user's data to the new profile, had user log back in and verify.

In the end I don't know what caused the user's profile to be be locked to any account, resulting in the user always getting a temporary profile when she logged in and making a simple recreation of the profile such an issue.
--
"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." - Robert A. Heinlein

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

might have been some corruption somewhere.