spc
Search similar:

uniqs

James13
@k12.ny.us

James13

Anon

[iO] Cablevision DVR Recording Problems

I am new to this forum and I have an ongoing problem with Cablevision. I live on Long Island and I have a Scientific Atlanta 8300 dvr box supplied by Cablevision. This is my 2nd SA 8300 box.

The problem is this, when I set to record a future tv program, lets use Criminal Minds, this show is on every Wednesday nights at 9pm on channel 2, the dvr will playback a completely different show on a different channel.

Has anyone experienced this problem before?
James13

James13

Anon

So, let me go a step further. Lets say it is 7pm, I will go to the channel guide, I will go to 9pm to Criminal Minds. I hit the red button (record) and the record box comes up. The only thing I change is the end of recording time. I always select 2 minutes after. I leave the other settings alone. Follow me so far?

It is 9pm, on the box I see the RECORD status. Later on, I go to the DVR and select Criminal Minds to watch what I thought was recording. The playback starts but I watching OWN or AMC tv show. Even though at the bottom is says Criminal Minds, somehow some other TV show is playing back. I was NEVER on AMC or Military channel.

Does this make any sense to anyone?
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy to James13

MVM

to James13
said by James13 :

This is my 2nd SA 8300 box.

Is this the second DVR in the house, the second DVR that has done this, the second DVR box you have had? Did/Does the other do this?

james13
@k12.ny.us

james13

Anon

This is the only dvr box in the house. I have a Samsung box upstairs but this one is a non dvr box. Last year, I spoke to Optonline TV department about this situation. They were dumb founded about this problem. They came across like they never heard of this issue. This problem all started when Cablevision changed there channel guide and other hidden features. The 1st dvr box I had since 2007. It was an SA 8300 box. Last year, I exchanged the SA 8300 box for a brand new box. A week later, the same problem started happening again.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

manually create and set it to record on the specific channel at the specific time instead.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy to James13

MVM

to James13
said by James13 :

Nope, seems very very strange to me!

RARPSL
join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

RARPSL to James13

to James13
said by James13 :

So, let me go a step further. Lets say it is 7pm, I will go to the channel guide, I will go to 9pm to Criminal Minds. I hit the red button (record) and the record box comes up. The only thing I change is the end of recording time. I always select 2 minutes after. I leave the other settings alone. Follow me so far?

It is 9pm, on the box I see the RECORD status. Later on, I go to the DVR and select Criminal Minds to watch what I thought was recording. The playback starts but I watching OWN or AMC tv show. Even though at the bottom is says Criminal Minds, somehow some other TV show is playing back. I was NEVER on AMC or Military channel.

Have you tried tuning to Channel 2 while it is recording and seeing what is showing? Also go to the recording menu (while you are recording) and do play from beginning and see what show it plays.

james13
@k12.ny.us

james13

Anon

RARPSL: Yes, I have actually turned the channel to channel 2 as Criminal Minds is on. Criminal Minds is what I was viewing as it was recording. At a later time, as it is recording, I go to the DVR (green button) and choose Play from the beginning. No change in behavior.

IllIlIlllIll: What are talking about, manually creating it. Be more specific.

This has happened the other night. I wanted to record, The Walking Dead, which is on AMC channel 43 at 9pm. At 8pm, I made sure I was on AMC. I went to the channel guide and selected the TWD at 9pm and went head to setup the recording. At 9.30pm, as the show was still in recording progress, I selected the DVR and selected Play from the Beginning. The show started at the beginning but I got Oprah Winfrey show instead of the The Walking Dead. The OWN channel is like 17x or something like that. I was never remotely close to that channel.

I am telling everyone, this problem started when Cablevision changed there Channel Guide. That is when my problem started.

FallenAnjel
join:2011-04-07
East Cupcake

FallenAnjel to EliteData

to EliteData
That is annoying because if you do that with all your shows, they all say "manual recording"

Besides, why should we as customers, who pay $100 to watch tv, have to do that? The box should work the way it's supposed to.
FallenAnjel

FallenAnjel to james13

to james13
Press DVR, Press [B] for Preferences. On that list is an option for "Manual Recording"

The only problem with that is your whole recorded DVR list will say "Manual recording"

I believe this happened to me once or twice. I took it as a glitch and it has never happened again.

My current problem is the DVR totally deleting scheduled recordings. And 4 at a time too. 4 shows on wednesday, totally deleted last week.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
Philippines

EliteData to FallenAnjel

Premium Member

to FallenAnjel
said by FallenAnjel:

That is annoying because if you do that with all your shows, they all say "manual recording"

Besides, why should we as customers, who pay $100 to watch tv, have to do that? The box should work the way it's supposed to.

the idea was to see if the problem persisted after a manual recording, not a suggestion.

FallenAnjel
join:2011-04-07
East Cupcake

FallenAnjel

said by EliteData:

the idea was to see if the problem persisted after a manual recording, not a suggestion.

aaah, ok, sorry. that makes sense.
rick0204
join:2009-05-20
North Bergen, NJ

rick0204 to James13

to James13
Try to exchange the DVR at a store. You can also add the Multi-room DVR for $7.00 more.

james13
@k12.ny.us

james13

Anon

Rick0204: I have decided this weekend, I will have to exchange the box for the 3rd time. This is ridiculous that I have to replace the box AGAIN. I will get another SA 8300 box and I will start the process all over again. I am trying to keep my costs down. My Cablevision bill is already $150 dollars every month. I don't want to add anything else to my bill.

I bought my house in 2007, I started with Cablevision at the time. I got an SA Explorer 8300 HD and never had one problem. This was our first DVR box. My wife and I both were recording programs left and right. We were averaging about 2 recordings almost every night. Everyday, we were recording something. It didn't matter if we recorded a show in the morning, afternoon, or evening. Not one drop of a problem.

About two years, Cablevision changed there Channel guide and that is when ALL of my recording problems started. It didn't matter if a show was recorded in the morning, afternoon, or evening. It didn't matter what time or which channel. When they changed there Channel guide, that is when my problems started.

Shortly, after they changed the Channel guide and my problems started, I was thinking it was the box. I go to Cablevision and I got a new box. The 2nd box. I got a new box and everything is good. Right? WRONG. About a week to two weeks later, the problem came back. I have been stuck with this problem since then. Cablevision says, "Oh we never heard of this problem before". How can I be the only person on Long Island with this problem. You own most of Long Island. Now this weekend I will have to get another box. The 3rd box. I am paying $150 dollars a month for recording problems.
rick0204
join:2009-05-20
North Bergen, NJ

rick0204

I suggest that you go for the multi-room dvr and turn in your physical dvr. The cost is only $2.00 more but you will not have this problem and you will get much more storage space.
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145

+1
I turned in both my SA8300HD over the last few months and have just been using the Multi-Room DVR for a few weeks now. It took a while but I have gotten use to the command lag when controlling the dvr functions.

I reboot my samsung boxes when they start to show signs of slow responsiveness outside of the dvr.

Press SEL button for 5 seconds then Arrow Up, this brings up hidden menu. Follow instructions to reboot STB
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to James13

to James13
Does it happen from the web, or if you don't set extra time at the end? I meant to try to record it to see myself (maybe it's an issue with the one program). Also, does it always record the same incorrect channel, or does it change?

sk934
join:2013-08-22
Long Island

sk934 to James13

to James13
I actually had the same issuse.. when I called CV, they were aware of the situation and told me it was a known issue where something was causing the system to record "shows with similar titles/genres" they didn't have an estimated time of resolution, did switching the box resolve the issue?

james13
@k12.ny.us

james13 to james13

Anon

to james13
On Saturday, I went to Cablevision to get another SA 8300 box. I was told 2010 happens to be the last year that SA 8300 was being released. I was offered to go with the multi-room DVR upgrade for $2 dollars more however I was told that you can't rewind "live" TV shows. I said forget. I will roll the dice with this semi new SA 8300 box.

Last night, I did my usual routine and at 8.30pm using the channel guide, I set the DVR to record The Walking Dead at 9pm on AMC. At 10pm, I successfully watched my show. Now, because I was successful with 1 show doesn't mean anything. Keep in mind, with my second box, it took about 1-2 weeks before I started seeing any problems with the box. The jury is still out on this one.

I don't believe for a second that my recording problems has to do with glitch with shows with similar titles/genres. How is The Walking Dead or Criminal Minds similar to OWN (Oprah Winfrey)? How is TWD or Criminal Minds similar to Duck Dynasty? Do you get my point? TWD and CM have more similarities than OWN or Nick at Nite.

Do worry, I will continue to post my updates on this site.
Expand your moderator at work

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

Re: [iO] Cablevision DVR Recording Problems

dont feed the gnome !

gambitNJ
join:2012-11-15
Your Mom

gambitNJ

James is quite the gnome isn't he... These boards are meant for getting answers and info.. People gave him what he was looking for, either get TiVo or Multiroom DVR.. But he is so hellbent on keeping the crappy SA Box at all cost... Obviously he won't get the answers he is looking for, which are that SA is awesome.. Because it's simply NOT, clearly why they stopped making them/upgrading them 3 years ago!! It's simply this, times change and new innovations come out all the time.. SA is in the Stone Age and will be left there to rot... No use complaining about something that will never get any better!!