kudos:9
Reviews:
·TELUS

2 recommendations

[Dev Build] Australis is landing in Firefox Nightly

Australis is landing in Firefox Nightly - Mozilla UX
November 18, 2013
quote:
A very exciting set of changes is landing in Firefox Nightly. We’ve been calling the project Australis, but, simply, it’s the next iteration of the Firefox user interface. It’s not quite finished, and it needs more polish, which is exactly why we’re so eager to get it out to a wider set of the community.

So, what is Australis?
1. It’s the most beautiful and detail-obsessed iteration of Firefox’s visual design yet: modern, clean, and comfortable.
2. More fundamentally, it’s a streamlining and simplification of the default interface, to declutter and better focus on how people use a browser today.
3. Finally, it includes a new simple way to customize the browser and make it your own.

There are also many side-benefits: a better more extensible interface model that will accommodate future features and additions; a simpler presentation of add-ons as equals to built-in browser features; and a familiar look and feel across all our platforms so that Firefox feels like Firefox everywhere. We’ll be writing more about all of these in future posts.
...continue reading.

Intro to Australis video.
--
Gladiator Security Forum

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

1 edit

2 recommendations

Uhm, Chrome called and wants their UI back now

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
haha, doesn't look like Chrome to me.

Installed a fresh Nightly - there was a small update and there was the Australis UI.
--
Gladiator Security Forum

Racerbob
Premium
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
kudos:1
reply to chachazz
Absolutely no interest. I read about this yesterday and did not even bother posting the story. Looks like Chrome to me. At any rate, while we are on the subject...chachazz...does this Australis have a bookmarks side panel that will stay open and docked ?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to chachazz
Click for full size
Chrome
Click for full size
Australis
said by chachazz:

haha, doesn't look like Chrome to me.

If you say so...
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

chachazz
Premium
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to Racerbob
said by Racerbob:

..does this Australis have a bookmarks side panel that will stay open and docked ?

yes, of course...

On Windows 7 at moment...

chachazz
Premium
Keep in mind current Nightly is Firefox 28 - due for release mid-March 2014.
Lots of time for further development and polishing.
--
Gladiator Security Forum

Racerbob
Premium
Webster, NY
reply to chachazz
The side bar is a very important feature to me. Nice to see that they are not totally imitating Google. Google refuses to add a bookmarks side panel to Chrome.

MiNdErAsR
Dark Lord of Sriracha

join:2000-11-25
reply to chachazz
Did they kill the Add-on Bar? It looks like it moved all my add-ons (which were in the add-on bar) to the Navigation tool bar. I don't like it! No sir, not one bit.

IndianaGuy

@comcast.net
Yeah, I'm happy with the layout as is and would object if I had to use this. I don't like change for the sake of change.

I only use Firefox on desktops and have no interest of it on my tiny smartphone screen. Actually I have it but won't use it.

This 'one fire fox for everything' idea is getting me concerned. Fire Fox is exactly what I want it to be NOW!

Nope, not for me. I may have to freeze the browser at 25 or whatever.

StyxKee

join:2001-07-05
GTA, Canada

4 edits
reply to chachazz
That is one of the worse mess I have ever seen from the Moz dev. Time to get rid of Nightly from my PC. Soon it would be the regular release. They are going to ruin Firefox for me. Sigh.

BTW, I absolutely hate tabs on top of everything. It is one of the most inefficient ideas ever came out of browser development...and mozilla dev decided it is the best thing since slice bread and copied the bloody idea. Grrrrr.

(Full of rage right now because of this Australis mess.)

-----
Found an extension to bring back the classic look.
»addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox···estorer/

mromero
Premium
join:2000-12-07
The O.C.
reply to chachazz
just got it and i hate it, give me back my old ui

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink
reply to chachazz
I have to say I have not had great luck with FF and Mac. I'm waiting for something better. However, the turquoise theme isn't it.

In the meantime I'm going to wait to see what good things happen!
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

Racerbob
Premium
Webster, NY
reply to chachazz
I must say that I really like my Firefox the way that I have it set up right now. Looks like there will be an extended release version in my future.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to linicx
said by linicx:

However, the turquoise theme isn't it.

I'm thinking that was just the "demo video" theme and not anything to do with FF/Australis specifically... but I could be wrong!
--

Racerbob
Premium
Webster, NY
reply to chachazz
OK chachazz, I am trying Australis. I take back negative comments... for now. Initially, it isn't bad. All my add ons seem to be working as well.

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to chachazz
Maybe someone will make a skin that looks like the old navigator.
I prefer the flat filing system with everything where I can see it. Since I read more than I do videos or movies, the new system is a PITA. I usually have the browser taking up only half the screen anyway. I use Iron and hate its layout.

What's the purpose - more real estate to show more ads?

Racerbob
Premium
Webster, NY
reply to chachazz
A useful extension. The link to this was posted in the comments here...

»blog.mozilla.org/ux/2013/11/aust···nightly/

Here is the extension... Classic Themes Restorer...

»addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/ad···estorer/

As a side note, Australis is growing on me. Very stable and now that I am using it, I will say that I am missing the traditional add ons status bar, but so far this is running pretty good considering that it is a nightly.

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO
reply to chachazz

Racerbob
Premium
Webster, NY
Ha ! Henceforth the Chrome-like look that Australis exhibits. Maybe. But this early version of the future really is not bad and what I like about it remains the ability to keep my bookmarks panel docked and open on the left side of the browser. This is something that prevents me from using Chrome more because Google refuses to add this simple feature. It would not surprise me if Mozilla and Google eventually are the same company.

Santa Fe
Man is an animal that wants to exist.
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard
kudos:5
Moogle? Gozilla? Chrome-Fox?

gbm97

join:2010-11-26
Monashees BC
reply to chachazz
Nightly is working just as well as the daily...sort of speak only the search bars are non functional.
Both the address bar and search bar are both typeable but upon clicking search/enter nothing happens. Dead. I have drug them in and out of the customize box but to no avail. I keep it updated, I have not seen nor heard of any other broken search bars like I have.
Any ideas how to fix this because
i,m liking the new set-up.

Thanks

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
Nightly is for testing -- if you're running into problems you should report them over at Mozilla.

Having said that, I have no issues with search -- you might want to make sure all your add-ons are disabled.

Meanwhile, it hasn't been that stable for me -- I manage a CMS installation and have had numerous issues accessing the backend (Error 408 Browser Timeout) and so can't use it currently for that.
--

gbm97

join:2010-11-26
Monashees BC
Ok thanks.
Will wait for it to be sorted out.
With add-ons disabled its still a no go.

Racerbob
Premium
Webster, NY
You have to remember that Australis is not even in beta stage. And it won't be for quite some time.

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
·AT&T Southeast

1 recommendation

reply to chachazz
I tried FF 28 Nightly last night and I think it is very nice looking. I'm not a Chrome user, so I will not compare them. But I like the new design and I may even make it my regular browser.

Tim
--
"Life is like this long line, except at the end there ain't no merry-go-round." - Arthur on The King of Queens
~ Project Hope ~

anonome

@verizon.net

2 recommendations

reply to Santa Fe
Gozilla**... delivering "solutions" that no one asked for. However, no matter how much the mozdevs crap all over the Fx interface, there'll be other devs ready to "restore sanity" (and have you noticed how much play the "sanity" plea has gotten with the add-ons introduced of late?).

**Sadly, that sounds good... very Go-Go-Gadget-y.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to chachazz
I hope I don't have to give up my nice full themes for this. I might not update any further if I do. And I don't like the chrome type look, hate it in fact.

anonome

@verizon.net
From what I've read, Australis "breaks" all existing themes and any other add-ons having anything to do with tab structure (not that this is all that Australis breaks). So, the themers will have to re-tool, which some are already doing.

(Good of Mozilla to wait till the Ides of March to deliver this "improvement", eh what? Never have the words "Et tu, Brute" been so appropriately applied in this millennium.)

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
Good golly, it's a browser. There are far worse problems in the world.
said by anonome :

Never have the words "Et tu, Brute" been so appropriately applied in this millennium.

Good golly, it's a browser. There are far worse problems in the world.
--