spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

RLM

@comcast.net

[Wireless] Linksys EA6900 compared to the Linksys EA6500 wireless signal

I noticed that the new EA6900 has antennas. My question is this going to provide a stronger wireless signal and range compared to the new EA6500.

Are there any major advantages to the newer router?

Thanks

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
Yes with a but, now with a however...
The EA6900 is marketed as an AC1200 router, the EA6500 is AC1750, and if you look at this article over at smallnetworkbuilder they dissect the marketing BS and tell you what it really means: »www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless···-or-hype

If you hope to see all the benefits of the EA6900 you also need to have clients (laptops, other wireless devices) that use the same chipset or support the same standards in order to make use of these features. Nearby neighbour wireless networks will also curb performance in the B/G band.

Bottom line, they will operate the same in most environments, having external antennas are a plus however the premium to have them is a bit too much just to upgrade to the EA6900 IMHO.

RLM

@comcast.net
I am having some major download performance issues with the wireless 2.4 network on my EA6500. Sometimes my download speeds drop from 25 Mbps to about 3 Mbps. I read somewhere that the EA4500 was the best router fast reliable wireless.

What is your opinion?

Thanks

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
The 2.4GHz band has become a major sausage factory, too much stuffed into too small a space, it’s probably why you have problems. Baby monitors, microwaves, cordless phones, and other devices all use that band so tracking down the cause is difficult without specialized tools and once the source of interference is known you may not be able to do much about it.

Silly questions, but have you done a wireless survey to see what channels in the 2.4 band are in use? It is a bit of a long shot but changing channels might help get away from whatever is killing your link. Failing that the alternative is to upgrade your clients so they also can work in the 5GHz band. Network cards that do A/B/G/N work in both bands; B/G/N marked products may not.

I have no opinion on the EA4500, it uses a marvel chipset and I haven't played with them.

Skydeath

@comcast.net
reply to RLM
This router is terrible! Constantly dropping connection with ny cable modem, thru put rate cut in half. Many others complain of the same probs with little or no resolution from customer service.
I returned it to bestbuy and got netgear. No dropped links and significant improvement in wireless coverage. Take it back while you can!

Skydeath

@comcast.net
reply to RLM
Take it back while you can and buy netgear!

vw

@charter.com
what netgear router did you replace it with? I am on my second ea6500 and it is a piece of junk! Constant drops and reboots (sometimes 4 or 5 times a day).