uniqs
share rss forum feed

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
kudos:5

New home server motherboard?

Saw this on my facebook feed: »www.maximumpc.com/asrock_z87_ext···_junkies. 22 Sata ports, 16 of which are actually SAS ports via a LSI SAS 3008 + an expander? Yes please!

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2

I can only imagine the price, but I still might bite. Can't say as though I need 22 ports, but the 7 I am working with now are all full, and I need more drives.

JoelC707
Premium
Lanett, AL

Yeah, it's the extreme edition so you know that alone is going to make it a 300-400 dollar board at minimum. The Extreme9/ac is $330 and doesn't have the LSI+expander. »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···13157392

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to JoelC707

Yeah, I came across this board here earlier today:

»www.techpowerup.com/194700/asroc···ard.html

I'm not really in the market for anything like this now though. I probably won't build another system until Haswell-E comes out.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to Camelot One

If you need 22 ports I'd just go with an external array

personally I'd like to get a supermicro case like the following
»www.supermicro.com/products/chas···1200.cfm

then do something with 2x sas cards, idealy the same chip.
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

JoelC707
Premium
Lanett, AL

You would need a chassis like that to really utilize all 22 ports on that board. I've given consideration to an external array for a while but the chassis tends to cost about the same regardless of whether it's designed to hold a motherboard or not and I'd then need to factor in an external HBA/RAID card. Granted the external options can usually be cascaded allowing for even further expansion with generally just another shelf.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

That chassis comes with the expander, so you only need a min of 4 sas ports in the form of the right kind of cable.
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv