join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to jupitermoon

Premium Member

to jupitermoon

Re: [WIN8] Questions about Windows 8.1

said by jupitermoon:

There's a discussion of this issue here:

How to change tiles' background color in Windows 8.1 start screen?
»answers.microsoft.com/en ··· 5745c269

See, in particular, troubada's post, which sums up the issue quite well, and Paul Coddington's replies, which discuss a possible forthcoming solution.

Thanks for the link. Troubada summed it up quite well! There was lots of great things that they said, but this one took the cake.
quote:
But this Start screen in 8.1 is just horrendous. I can't use it like this. I have a lot of apps sorted on it and when I open the Start screen it looks like some sort of depraved candy land that I don't want to be in. Worse than that, I can't find anything because the crazy colors are throwing off my ability to find/distuingish anything.

This will be something that I am going to keep an eye on, and see what becomes of it, as far as user fixes for it (kind of like Start 8, to bring back the Win 7 start menu).

--Brian
jupitermoon
join:2011-09-27

1 recommendation

jupitermoon

Yeah, I liked that one too. In fact, I almost quoted it. But then I would have kept quoting and quoting and...

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

Indeed. On page #2, there is a poster by the name of "KatCoconut" who loves the color purple. Of course, nothing against that at all, we all have favorite colors. Here is what she has to say about the new icon colors on Windows 8.1. I think its just as good as Troubada's comments.
quote:
To borrow from another unhappy 8.1 upgrader - now my start screen looks like unicorn vomit. The Dried-blood red and Kale Green, Dirty Orange and more colors are horrendous. The tiles are not based on my chosen color scheme - In what world does mud orange go with lavender?

--Brian
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

Mele20

Premium Member

I read that earlier and thought that she must have her head buried in her computer and be oblivious to anything else since I just bought a new VERY FASHIONABLE top that is orange (not sure if it is "mud" or "dirty") and lilac. Plus, a 20 something friend told me these colors are currently "hot".

She didn't say what "unicorn vomit" looks like. I love unicorns (but I don't know if I'd like their vomit as I don't have any idea what color it would be).

But I do agree that Microsoft goofed on this issue.