spc
Search similar:

uniqs
GrandMstrBud
join:2005-05-25
Davenport, IA

GrandMstrBud

Re: Any ways to monitor bandwidth usage

I don't think even if I monitor it on my own and it's different that they will even care if I do end up going over the 250GB limit. I can see 1-2GB difference but 25GB when I maybe used 4 in that day that's more than a little off. The VPN router I have is a Cisco 881 so it's pretty advanced but it's way over my head and it does have monitoring but you have to install it by the looks of it

TAZ
@qwest.net

TAZ

Anon

Maybe you won't get any help from CL yourself, but I'm willing to bet that if posts start coming in about CL's bandwidth metering being bogus, that'll get at least a front page story here and swift action and resolution from CL's PR department.
GrandMstrBud
Davenport, IA

GrandMstrBud

I did the online chat again and this time I was told my total for the month is 26GB. That's more like it by why did the first rep say 48.9GB? More of a reason for an online tool for customers to check on our own

jim61
join:2000-09-10
Vermilion, OH

jim61 to GrandMstrBud

to GrandMstrBud
*FREE*
»www.softperfect.com/prod ··· networx/
GrandMstrBud
Davenport, IA

GrandMstrBud

i have that but it doesn't attach to a netflix or internet device or phones and all the other devices in my house
Prep
join:2013-04-20
Portland, OR

Prep

said by GrandMstrBud:

i have that but it doesn't attach to a netflix or internet device or phones and all the other devices in my house

NetWorx can be set to monitor a modem/ router rather than just one computer. Mine captures activity on any device that connects to the modem (wireless or ethernet) including my Roku.
GrandMstrBud
Davenport, IA

GrandMstrBud

So it can connect to my linksys e1550 and monitor all traffic that it puts out? I haven't see any options for that
GrandMstrBud

GrandMstrBud

Actually it doesn't work for me. Says interface can not be left empty and I put in both the IP to the cisco and the linksys and neither finds anything.
Prep
join:2013-04-20
Portland, OR

Prep

said by GrandMstrBud:

Actually it doesn't work for me. Says interface can not be left empty and I put in both the IP to the cisco and the linksys and neither finds anything.

I have a Qwest branded Motorola 3347. In NetWorx I went to settings (main tab) and clicked on "Monitor my router rather than this computer". Maybe it can't handle the separate modem and router?
GrandMstrBud
Davenport, IA

GrandMstrBud

Not sure but it won't find any interfaces on the Cisco 881 or the Linksys E1550
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

brad152 to GrandMstrBud

to GrandMstrBud
There's no way i'm on a congested node (or in Phoenix, the cable company Cox provides enough competition)

Although, i know here they're all GigE fiber ran DSLAM's so congestion never happens.

I use regularly 300-350GB since my last roomie moved in (we both work on Ubuntu coding) and have not heard a peep from CenturyLink about it.

I honestly have had a great experience with them, although if i got a termination notice like the OP i'd probably be upset too. CenturyLink needs to update the website to something newer than a 1999 billing interface and show a usage meter if there're going to enforce it.
GrandMstrBud
Davenport, IA

GrandMstrBud

I've called in or done the chat every day for 6 months. I think they are starting to get annoyed. Well not everyday but 5 days a week at least.

JohnCC
join:2005-12-19
none

JohnCC to GrandMstrBud

to GrandMstrBud
said by brad152:

I use regularly 300-350GB since my last roomie moved in (we both work on Ubuntu coding) and have not heard a peep from CenturyLink about it.

Using about 600GB every month and CenturyLink never says a word. There is a cable provider in the area who is their competitor, though, even though we can't get it (just outside of town).

Brett C
join:2004-08-03
Olathe, KS

Brett C

I normally don't go off and brag about data transfer rates / consumption / caps, but so far, no notices of overuse this year.

YtD so far:

First quarter of 2014:

Making note, this house has numerous devices connected. Multiple laptops, multiple android phones, quite a few desktop computers, DirecTv and this smart TV's wifi enabled streaming of YouTube and Netflix. During the evening, the usage flat out saturates the 10mbps that we have. The upload suffers from it as well, which causes an additional degradation of service, as the upload messes with the download speeds when under load.

I've tacked on a squid3 cache to well, cache(!) almost all non-dynamic images and general media to the router. Data savings for doing this has turned out to be a very minimal impact, unless I want to begin forcing squid to download and store all recently browsed-to youtube videos.

Wish there was a much faster internet option for my area, 10mbps download and a measly 896k upload just doesn't cut it any more. Guess it's the waiting game for Google Fiber to my north to come just a little further south... unless CLink wants to begin building out a fiber network here in southern Johnson county Kansas.
brad152
Chicago, IL

brad152

Have you checked the business site to see if you can get 20/2 through pair-bonding?

Brett C
join:2004-08-03
Olathe, KS

Brett C

said by brad152:

Have you checked the business site to see if you can get 20/2 through pair-bonding?

Yeah, i've checked that, only shows 10mbps as well.

The Remote DSLAM that I am on is (cable length) approximately 975 meters away. The DSLAM was installed a few years ago and is fully fiber fed. According to the local tech here (very informative and knowledgeable guy) said that the box had 60 "transfer-in's" from the old DSLAM a mile or two down the road (but that was a few years ago - probably has many more on it now). I assume that included phone lines and DSL, rather just DSL - as it was a completely new installation.
brad152
Chicago, IL

brad152

Humm then if you're on ADSL2+ there is no excuse for them to not offer at least 20/1 service, other than the goofy limitations set by Embarq back in the day.

Eventually they will have a uniform billing system (hopefully) so they can offer the same products/speeds everywhere.