spc
Search similar:

uniqs
sparcnz4
join:2009-08-31

sparcnz4

[Help] Belkin N750 Setup Problems on Existing System, Need Assistance Plse

HI All,

I have recently purchased a new N750 wireless router for our Fire Station.
The station has an existing broadband modem/router which is what I want to plug the N750 into.
I tried this last week and could not get it to link to the modem.
I am guessing that the N750 may have the wrong IP settings, which is still the default 192.168.2.1, and the modem/router (haven't checked yet) may have a different IP setting? Could this be the problem?
I used the install disk and I could not get the software to find the N750. I could however see the N750 with my smartphone and I was able to get into the admin settings screen.

I do notice there is a workgroup in the N750, could this also be a problem?

To be honest, I am lost with this one.
I have in the past been able to install a system for my home which runs a ASUS modem/router, a TP-Link Wireless Router and a Bullet M2, these all work nicely. I couldn't even get the N750 to connect to this network system.

Please any advice would be grateful, and then I can install this in our station an dhave it working.

Regards
Kevin.

BlueMist
join:2011-01-24
Cookeville, TN

BlueMist

I'll take a shot at this but I'm hoping that by the time this is posted you will have already successfully hooked up the router.

The first thing I would do is go to one of the already working PC's and look at how it is setup. You could open a command.com window and run the command ipconfig /all and it will provide you with the settings your PC's network card is using.

From there you will get the default gateway address and the actual IP address of the PC. The two of them will tell you the IP range like 192.168.xx.yy they are assigning to your PC's.

You will also be able to see if the IP values are being assigned using DHCP (from the existing router) or if your system is using fixed IP, where you have to preset the PC's in order for them to work on the network.

With that kind of info you will be able to configure the WAN port of the new router. If everything is already DHCP on the PC's you could set the WAN port to DHCP and it will basically look like another PC to the existing router.

If things are using fixed IP's then you would have to set the WAN for fixed IP and give it an IP of it's own, just like a PC. You might need to check with your network administrator to make sure you don't pick an IP that is already in use. The default gateway and netmask would match what the existing PC's are using.

Then on the LAN side you would set the IP address to something other than what the existing PC's are using. If they are using 192.168.1.xxx set the new LAN to something like 192.168.3.1 and let the new wireless/wired PC's that hook up to the new unit use that new subnet. Having two routers with the same LAN subnet range could cause a loop bringing down all the PC's at the place.

The other alternative is to look up on the web on how to make your 750 act like nothing more than a dumb access point. In that mode the 750 does not assign IP values to the PC's but rather gets them from your main router and forwards them to the PC's attached to it.

Ultimately your best place would be to track down the IT person in charge of your network and have that person come in and set the thing up for you. That way you would not be later blamed should some setting in your box cause problems elsewhere on the network.
bbnovice
join:2004-03-17
Sacramento, CA

bbnovice to sparcnz4

to sparcnz4
were you ever able to get this sorted out?