Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ctceo
Premium
join:2001-04-26
South Bend, IN

Funny overdrive pro glitch

I am having a problem with connecting to 4g as I write this. During the display of the devices gui mainpage, I briefly saw a hyperlink called TCP optimizer and some other link. Has anyone else seen this?

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
have you recently updated your firmware?

said by ctceo:

I am having a problem with connecting to 4g as I write this. During the display of the devices gui mainpage, I briefly saw a hyperlink called TCP optimizer and some other link. Has anyone else seen this?

ctceo
Premium
South Bend, IN
Reviews:
·Virgin Mobile Br..
Click for full size
No. It appears that the link is there, then latter script tells it to hide the links. I don't know why. I did manage to get a quick click on the link for bothe of them and they were the same: »www.sierrawireless.com/Support/D···ads.aspx

Included is a picture.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
reply to ctceo
Never seen that "inset picture" about the optimizer. The rest of the screens look normal and the way they should.

ctceo
Premium
South Bend, IN
Reviews:
·Virgin Mobile Br..

1 edit
If you click on something other than the 3g/4g left menu bar option, then click on the 3g/4g option before whatever page you clicked on loads, that's when it appears. Mayhaps you can replicate? It begs the question, "What else is hidden"?

Remember the old days of finding hidden webpages on old DSL/Cable modems, lol. Kinda feels like that a little.

seaprobe

join:2006-07-16
Sunnyvale, CA
reply to ctceo
I had the original overdrive, which had the same option. I believe that goes back to the earlier Windows versions, whose TCP stack needed "manual" tuning for optimal performance on wireless networks with both higher speed and higher latency. The new versions, at least since Vista, have been auto-tuning, as has been Mac OS X.

ctceo
Premium
South Bend, IN
On the Overdrive itself, I get about 1400 for the MTU. I average 20% signal strength inside and 40-60% outside. What have you set the devices WAN MTU at?

ctceo
Premium
South Bend, IN
Bump?

Still trying to see if setting MTU to Manual, Auto or Optimized would be best for gaming.

Xtreme2damax

join:2007-03-21
Port Byron, NY
reply to ctceo
I am wondering the same as above. When I play Team Fortress 2 I am lag quite bad, when I play it actually feels like my ping is much higher than what it actually is and when I start playing I get frequent ping spikes sometimes up to 750ms. It feels like I am on a massive delay so before I can react I am already dead, enemies pass right through me or teleport behind me and I get some rubber-banding and stuttering. I ran a ping test and get zero packet loss and only have around 13ms - 16ms jitter. My 3G signal is between 40% - 60%, my speed test earlier was 1.5 Mbit /s down and 0.45 Mbit up. My ping to local servers is anywhere around 100ms - 150ms. Clearly it's not my ping at fault because other players play with 100ms - 200ms ping or greater and seem to do just fine.
--

criggs

join:2000-07-14
New York, NY
Sounds to me like it's your computer that's overloaded, not your connection.

ctceo
Premium
South Bend, IN
reply to Xtreme2damax
What is your CPU and Physical Memory Size?

I'd wager it's something clogging up CPU foreground priority cycles or causing too many page commits and holding up the pipeline for the game to run smoothly.

ctceo
Premium
South Bend, IN
Reviews:
·Virgin Mobile Br..

1 recommendation

reply to ctceo
Found that setting an MTU at //OverdivePro of 1400 was maximal. Still get some off the chart ping times in games but usually ~170 ms on average and that's operating at 2 of 6 Bars (12CNR@4G Connectivity) and NOT the full 6 I'd get if I were a half a mile west of here. 3G Sucks even worse.

Xtreme2damax

join:2007-03-21
Port Byron, NY
reply to ctceo
Unfortunately since my i7 board died I've been using a crappy replacement board I've had since 2008 with a Core2Due E7500 @ 3.25 Ghz, 4GB DDR3 Ram and a GTX 460.

How can I optimize network settings for the Overdrive Pro to give me the best possible performance for gaming?

ctceo
Premium
South Bend, IN
Reviews:
·Virgin Mobile Br..
Click for full size
Make sure that your wireless card on the PC is configured to connect to the ODP using proper wireless advanced configuration. This may vary greatly depending on your chipset.

As for configuring your hotspot, this is what I do to maximize gaming performance.

Be the only device connected
Here area couple screenshots to help out.

There are a lot of other little things that can help out. Run a namebench test to find the DNS servers with the best results for your relay path, which may be different than mine. I use 1 OpenDNS and one V/GTEi dns.

You may have to run several tests based on the amount of bars of 4g reception your getting.

Disable GPS. Set to 4G only to prevent wasted cycles polling 4g signal strength compared to 3g. Always use power supply if you can help it. Remove battery for this as the ODP has a propensity to overheat with some versions/firmwares.
--
----
As long as superstition prevails, we will fall short of eradicating war, poverty, and hunger. -J. Fresco

khanacademy.org
en.lernu.net
www.k12.com
churchofreality.org
kopimistsamfundet.se
zeitnews.org
thezeitgeistmovement.com
thevenusproject.com
---