spc
Search similar:

uniqs

BSAIII
join:2007-06-16
Las Vegas, NV

BSAIII

[FiOS Phone] Better blocking

Why does Verizon allow a caller id that is not a valid phone number. I have received 2 calls that show a bad number on the screen and when I use the TV widget to block the call I can't because it is an Invalid TN.

Verizon also needs to allow a bigger block list and wildcard blocking. For that matter they should have a white list option in addition to a black list.
thetick
join:2009-06-22
White Plains, NY

thetick

Yea and Verion should give me free UltimateHD, 500/100 Internet, DV and free DVR for being such a great customer.... but it's not likely to happen.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

1 edit

PJL to BSAIII

to BSAIII
said by BSAIII:

Why does Verizon allow a caller id that is not a valid phone number. I have received 2 calls that show a bad number on the screen and when I use the TV widget to block the call I can't because it is an Invalid TN.

Verizon also needs to allow a bigger block list and wildcard blocking. For that matter they should have a white list option in addition to a black list.

You've encountered a caller that is spoofing caller ID, which is why it can't be blocked and when you call the number back it is likely an invalid number. Caller ID spoofing is illegal, but the people doing it obviously don't care. They're calling blocks of numbers with high-speed dialers, often violating the Do-Not-Call Registry restrictions also. Doing a Bing web search for "caller id spoofing solutions" produces many services that allow you to spoof. It's sad how people just like to break the law.

I agree with your second point (block or white list), and add that Verizon should allow blocking at the same time email notification is enabled. Currently, you can do one or the other but not both concurrently.

BSAIII
join:2007-06-16
Las Vegas, NV

BSAIII

Don't know why or how one can spoof their phone number. It is controlled by the phone company.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by BSAIII:

Don't know why or how one can spoof their phone number. It is controlled by the phone company.

It is not. People using computer systems can routinely spoof their numbers. They do not use a "telephone company" for their service, but are using VOIP services to do this. See this writeup: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ca ··· spoofing

PA23
join:2001-12-12
East Hanover, NJ

PA23 to BSAIII

to BSAIII
I remember years ago I was tinkering with VoIP at the office, I had an ISDN - PRI in my lab and I found that I could have it tell the telco switch I was calling from any number I wanted to. Telco also matched whatever number I provided to the name associated with that number in their database.

Of course once I figured that out I had fun calling friends masquerading as someone other than myself.

What numbers did I use? Let just say my wife would disavow any and all knowledge of said activities and that she would not bail me out

PA23