how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

qaflight9

join:2005-10-19
Olympia, WA

Exceeded 20g limit

I got an email from Millenicom telling me I need to buy another device.
I've been with them for 4 years and would not mind paying another $70 bucks, but $150 is ridiculous. Is this typical?

I know I've been a little greedy on the data this month, but Geez Louise. I guess I could use a second sim for the new ipad, just wish I wouldn't have to buy another device.

We have been alerted by the upstream carrier that you have exceeded usage on your 20GB plan.

Please note that your account has a monthly usage cap of 20GB.

Your usage is 34.09GB used as of 11/18/13.

In order for us to continue service this month you will need to purchase an additional account or choose to have your service temporarily suspended until 12/1/13.

To move forward with maintaining your account for this month you will need to purchase an additional plan. The cost for today would be:

$99.99 Device Purchase
$19.99 Reduced Activation Fee
$15.00 Shipping
$16.10 Prorated Monthly Service

If you would like to purchase an additional Hotspot plan, please let us know.
We look forward to hearing from you soon.

-Millenicom

tigerpaw509

join:2011-01-19
Time to find another provider

cbobby

join:2009-06-14
New Windsor, MD
reply to qaflight9
guess VZ means it when they say 20G/mo

But then again, seems Millen played very loose with the Sprint accts as far as the soft 50G cap went, and then Sprint cut them off.

If Millen gets cut off by VZ, then bye bye Millen, cauz you can't run a re-seller business only on TMoblie's 6.5G/mo. offer.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to qaflight9
At your data usage you can't get by with 2 accounts as your present use would amount to 56.81 GB in a 30 day period which would require 3 accounts to allow you to comply with the terms of your Millenicom accounts of 20 GB.

This action by Millenicom apparently means Verizon is closely watching and monitoring the Millenicom account users considering it's in the middle of the billing period Nov 1 to Dec 1. The rest of us should take note and control our own usage.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to cbobby
said by cbobby:

guess VZ means it when they say 20G/mo

But then again, seems Millen played very loose with the Sprint accts as far as the soft 50G cap went, and then Sprint cut them off.

If Millen gets cut off by VZ, then bye bye Millen, cauz you can't run a re-seller business only on TMoblie's 6.5G/mo. offer.

Agree. The last thing we need is for Vz to drop Millenicom because of a few heroic users like happened with the Sprint Unlimited.

Here there is no T-Mobile. Only Sprint and Verizon, Satellite or Dial Up.

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
pretty sure the local WISP could serve you Jack, there is a data pole down near you
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
I phoned them some months ago and they said they would check to see if I could get the signal. Never heard anything back.

Sad

@mycingular.net
reply to cbobby
It's funny how people keep commenting that x amount of people exceed 50gb on the sprint plan and that is why they were dropped. I've yet to see proof of this. It's just speculation.

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to qaflight9
said by qaflight9:

I got an email from Millenicom telling me I need to buy another device.
I've been with them for 4 years and would not mind paying another $70 bucks, but $150 is ridiculous. Is this typical?

I know I've been a little greedy on the data this month, but Geez Louise. I guess I could use a second sim for the new ipad, just wish I wouldn't have to buy another device.

We have been alerted by the upstream carrier that you have exceeded usage on your 20GB plan.

Please note that your account has a monthly usage cap of 20GB.

Your usage is 34.09GB used as of 11/18/13.

In order for us to continue service this month you will need to purchase an additional account or choose to have your service temporarily suspended until 12/1/13.

To move forward with maintaining your account for this month you will need to purchase an additional plan. The cost for today would be:

$99.99 Device Purchase
$19.99 Reduced Activation Fee
$15.00 Shipping
$16.10 Prorated Monthly Service

If you would like to purchase an additional Hotspot plan, please let us know.
We look forward to hearing from you soon.

-Millenicom

34GB and you say greedy on data man. It must suck to be on wirelesss.

IowaMudRider

join:2013-09-12
Montrose, IA
not really, for 100 bucks a month i get technically unlimited internet through exede+verizon LTE, not bad for middle of nowhere iowa

bacchus101

join:2007-02-09
USA
reply to qaflight9
The fact that you got to 34 GB before getting a notice is actually a positive sign to me as I have my peplink router shut down my internet at exactly 19.99 GB for fear of going over and getting hammer with said bill for another account.

I had no idea that you could even go a GB over without getting a notice and I am on a path to go over by a little bit this month.

somms

join:2003-07-28
Salt Lake City, UT
reply to qaflight9

Since being forced off the BYOD plan, I have now become very frugal about 4G data usage (above). Not like in the heyday of unlimited BYOD 3G Sprint a year ago where I would routinely go above 40GB(below)...

fred_9854976

@spcsdns.net
reply to qaflight9
you're at 34 GB on a 20 GB plan and only two thirds of the way thru the billing period?

i'm surprised Millenicom didn't just say "Goodbye". people enter into an agreement and can't comply with the terms and then are surprised when the other party calls them on it.

fred_7958095

@spcsdns.net
btw, how many people have been screwing Millenicom over? i didn't realize that a 20 GB plan really meant 40 GB and a 50 GB plan really meant 100 GB.

Kasonsrt

@mycingular.net
Heck if I knew I could get 40gb outta the hotspot plan I would of stayed with Millenicom. Instead of switching to BMI

Clover101

join:2011-04-20
Culpeper, VA
reply to IowaMudRider
What plan do you have?

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Metrocast Commun..
reply to Kasonsrt
No ..it is a 20GB plan. If people keep exceeding the cap by such wide margins (34GB) it is going to kill it for the rest of us. Verizon will just shut down the whole deal with Millenicom
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
What I don't understand is people will make a commitment with Millenicom on the 20 GB Hotspot plan and have no intention of honoring it. One thing though even if it was a little late Millenicom/Verizon took action.

Let's hope that a few doesn't ruin it for the rest of us like they did with Sprint

Diugo

@blackberry.net
The one thing BMI apparently does right is charging heroic users $15-25 per GB over the limit---and then cutting them off completely after 4-7GB.

IowaMudRider

join:2013-09-12
Montrose, IA
reply to Clover101
Exedes 10GB satellite plan and Millenicoms 20GB Hotspot

Exede is unlimited between 12am - 5am and at speeds of 12+Mbps you can download a pretty good amount of data at night.

fred_9758609

@spcsdns.net
reply to Diugo
said by Diugo :

The one thing BMI apparently does right is charging heroic users $15-25 per GB over the limit---and then cutting them off completely after 4-7GB.

that's a ripoff though. they should just cut off immediately at the cap. apparently some providers have the ability to do this so my guess is that all of them do.

Dexter1992

join:2010-07-16
Winona, MN
reply to Diugo
Is that in the TOS?

Diugo

@blackberry.net
> Is that in the TOS?

The overage charges for BMI's Verizon plans are shown at »www.bmi.net/internet/mobile-broa···gment1-2

criggs

join:2000-07-14
New York, NY
I thought BMI only had Sprint plans, not Verizon plans.

WirelessLess

@popsite.net
said by criggs:

I thought BMI only had Sprint plans, not Verizon plans.

BMI has Unlimited and Unlimited BYOD Plans from Sprint only, but the limited plans of 1, 3, 5, and 10 GB/month appear to allow the customer to choose either Sprint or Verizon. The source of this information is the Plan Details tab at »www.bmi.net/internet/mobile-broa···tal.html.

MOFIMAN

join:2010-02-11
Concord, ON
reply to qaflight9
Just to be fair, I deal with many customers and the fact is they really have no clue what they are using a month until they see the bill.
Many times, there kids can connect via ipod, xbox or playstation, or something like that and watch movies all day and at the end of the month, the parents get shocked at the usage.

Unless I read wrong, cant Millenicom just charge extra for GB?
Like $10 a giga byte of so?

If they can do this, then customer will only do this for 1 month and if they choose to pay $100 or $200+ every month, Millenicom could use that to pay some extra charges to Verizon?

When customers buy our MOFI router, the first 1 month, they always go way over so we warn them and when we can, we tell them to enable the bandwidth monitoring so in the router, it will show the usage for each user,
This way, after a day or so, they can see how much their kids and others use and then be able to control this.

So I do understand that with a 20GB plan, people should not be using more but it is very easy to do 30GB month and I bet that many of the users doing it did not do it on purpose and just needs to understand how bandwidth works to be able to control it.

I am assuming the problem is that Verizon just sees the more than $20GB plan per user and that may be the deal they have but I am sure Verizon should be able to work out a deal also where they could charge extra where everyone can be happy?

Max Signal
Premium
join:2008-03-07
Buffalo, NY
said by MOFIMAN:

Just to be fair, I deal with many customers and the fact is they really have no clue what they are using a month until they see the bill.
Many times, there kids can connect via ipod, xbox or playstation, or something like that and watch movies all day and at the end of the month, the parents get shocked at the usage.

Unless I read wrong, cant Millenicom just charge extra for GB?
Like $10 a giga byte of so?

If they can do this, then customer will only do this for 1 month and if they choose to pay $100 or $200+ every month, Millenicom could use that to pay some extra charges to Verizon?

When customers buy our MOFI router, the first 1 month, they always go way over so we warn them and when we can, we tell them to enable the bandwidth monitoring so in the router, it will show the usage for each user,
This way, after a day or so, they can see how much their kids and others use and then be able to control this.

So I do understand that with a 20GB plan, people should not be using more but it is very easy to do 30GB month and I bet that many of the users doing it did not do it on purpose and just needs to understand how bandwidth works to be able to control it.

I am assuming the problem is that Verizon just sees the more than $20GB plan per user and that may be the deal they have but I am sure Verizon should be able to work out a deal also where they could charge extra where everyone can be happy?

Sorry you assumed wrong . Millenicom cannot charge if you go over . Just warn you , suspend your service or cancel your service. They can suggest you buy another 20 gig a month service with new equipment

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
reply to qaflight9
Just to be fair? 20 GB per month means 20 GB per month and Verizon will enforce it. We need to stop this excessive use as Verizon is our last resort and for Millenicom to lose access to that we are screwed.

cbobby

join:2009-06-14
New Windsor, MD
Web browsing...as it currently stands...favors large usage that is not easily under the control of the user. Unless you have Flash and Ad blockers.

For example, Flash ADs and YouTube clips choose "quality" automatically based on the bandwidth of your device. I'm on 3G, and I have stop and choose the "speed" of every YTube I view as the Auto is ususally 360P, I chose 144P and it has to reset...so it squirts some 360 at me even after I change. This even though some of the clips I want to view are "talking heads" and really don't need to display any video at all, as I just want to hear what the person is saying.

If you have a router and mutiple users who will not/do not change the "quality settings" or have Flash Blocker iinstalled, just browsing a page with Flash Ads can eat thru alot of bandwidth. All these pages are set to give you the "best" experience LOL and to eat thru your Gigs.

When you have LTE...all the automatic loads switch to an even higher value. You can have Flash Ads loading at 480P, 780P, and some "high end" sites 1080P.

You are being asked to limit your bandwidth consumption by the Telecos. But by design Web Sites are set to "cost" you the max bandwith that your connection will allow.

BlueHeron

join:2013-11-14

said by cbobby:

Web browsing...as it currently stands...favors large usage that is not easily under the control of the user. Unless you have Flash and Ad blockers.
You are being asked to limit your bandwidth consumption by the Telecos. But by design Web Sites are set to "cost" you the max bandwith that your connection will allow.

Ugh!

After reading the above I spent some time Googling "how to detect users connection speed." Lots of hits. It looks like half the web designers out there think it is just dandy to send top heavy content to 'fast' connected users with no regard for possible data caps. Idiots!

So, the question becomes, "Is there any way to fool the sites into thinking we have not so fast connections?" Anyone have any ideas beyond flash blockers and actually rate limiting users for those of us who have routers capable of doing so?