uniqs

dwane1972
I recommend Start.ca
join:2003-10-08
Bailieboro, ON
Netgear R7900

dwane1972

2000 Toyota Echo Hard to refuel

Hey folks; I have a 2000 Echo that is maddening to try and refill at the gas station. Whenever I start the hose it just bubbles up into the fill neck and shuts off the nozzle. So the only way to refill the gas tank is to let it dribble in about a few cents at a time.
It can take as much as 10-15 minutes to fill the little tank on the Echo!
The filler hose between the tank and the gas cap has been checked by my mech and they found nothing.
Am I looking at a huge bill to drop and check the tank here? May not be worth it on a 13 year old car...

MooJohn
join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA

MooJohn

It sounds like the vent line is clogged. Gas tanks have a small tube that is typically routed from the top of the tank, along the filler tube, and then merges back into the filler neck just behind the cap. This allows air to escape while you're filling the tank.

It might be clogged right at the filler neck, or it could be anywhere inside the small tube. Investigate this and you'll be able to fill up at normal speed again.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

1 edit

Anonymous_ to dwane1972

Premium Member

to dwane1972
said by dwane1972:

Hey folks; I have a 2000 Echo that is maddening to try and refill at the gas station. Whenever I start the hose it just bubbles up into the fill neck and shuts off the nozzle. So the only way to refill the gas tank is to let it dribble in about a few cents at a time.
It can take as much as 10-15 minutes to fill the little tank on the Echo!
The filler hose between the tank and the gas cap has been checked by my mech and they found nothing.
Am I looking at a huge bill to drop and check the tank here? May not be worth it on a 13 year old car...

you should look into having it repaired here in the us

that small car in this area with great mileage will fetch 4-5k Private party . "Buy here, pay here places" would sell it for 9,995 -12,995.

I seen one of these BHPH have a jack up(body damage) Honda civic 2011 with 50k miles selling it above MSRP they wanted 20k for it.

solenoids
@optonline.net

solenoids

Anon

If this is not already fixed, I am not sure on an echo you will need to check but one of your evap solenoids might be stuck. I've seen a few cars with an evap solenoid back there stuck, customer comes in and complains he/she can not get the car to take fuel. That's the fix.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

1 edit

rody_44

Premium Member

I dont really know anything about this vehicle but i was also thinking toyota doesnt have a vent per say even to the neck. Pretty sure its done thru the emission system. Pretty sure they have a canister mounted at the tank and if it gets saturated with gas from overfilling it doesnt allow any venting from the tank. I would expect the CEL to be on tho at least if it works. Its a huge no no to overfill toyotas. With a toyota when that pump shuts off you really need to stop rounding up to the next dollar. It saturates the canister

MooJohn
join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA

MooJohn

The vent I described is not open to the atmosphere. It is sealed when you put on the fuel cap.

It is just a path for air to escape while the fuel nozzle is inserted. Without this "bypass" there would be no way for air to go out as quickly as fuel is coming in.

The evap canister purge should have no effect on fueling. That system loses all pressure as soon as you remove the fuel cap.