how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Chuck_IV

join:2003-11-18
Connecticut

[Game] LOTRO: Helm's Deep...

Anyone playing LOTRO these days. Their latest xpak Helm's Deep finally launches today(after a 2 day delay due to a power outage at their provider's data center, wiping out LOTRO, DDO and Asheron's Call for abour 24 hours).

The concept for this xpak is "Big Battles", large epic scales battles

I do like the fact that anyone level 10 and up can participate in these battes as the game raises everyone's ability to level 95 when hitting the instance.

I was big into LOTRO back in the day(I am a lifetime sub) but lost interest after Mines of Moria came out. I came back a few months ago and have been really enjoying it again, so much so, I picked up the rest of the xpaks including Helm's Deep.

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2

I haven't played since before Mines was released but the LOTR geek in me is tempted to log back in with these xpacs. Glad to see support for the game still going strong.
--
The world was movin' she was right there with it and she was

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

The other really crappy LOTR games have really turned me off to anything LOTR that is gaming-related. The movies are great, but the couple of games I tried to play were completely atrocious.

I mean, like beyond X:rebirth bad. The dialogue is so cringe-inducing.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Chuck_IV

Connecticut

2 edits
reply to Chuck_IV

Well, I gotta say, it seems like the Warner Bros. influence is starting to take hold(that's a bad thing).

The reason I always liked going back to LOTRO(besides the fact I am a lifetime sub) was that it still had some complexity and flexibility in how you were able to build your character, along with having to do some work to earn things with regard to how you wanted to build your character.

Well, with this new xpak, they are starting to take the WOW approach and are starting to dumb things down a bit and are directing things to a more cookie cutter style. They have revamped the Class traits and they now look almost exactly like what WOW was(pre MOP). 3 spec trees, with 2 tabs(or 3 if you buy a 3rd) to have alternate specs with X amount of points to spend. The only difference is you can still spend points in any tree you want at any time and you can respec when you want. You aren't restricted to mostly one tree like WOW was. Plus you still have vitues to earn to add to your character's strengths.

It's obvious to me that Warner Bros. is influencing the way this thing is being done because IMO, I cannot see Turbine wanting to go this direction on their own, at all.

I'm not thrilled with what I am seeing so far but I don't have a max level character so I can't speak for the new areas yet.

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2

That's rough man. There's a decent sized core group of very loyal fans to that game. Lose them by trying to gain more subs by making it more WoW like and the whole thing goes down the tubes.
--
The world was movin' she was right there with it and she was

Chuck_IV

Connecticut

I haven't seen any complaints from any guidies, who are high level(many are 95 already) so who knows. I can't say it has hurt the population because I'm actually amazed at how many people I see in game these days. I'm almost 70 now and seeing more and more and at that level, these aren't the pure f2p players anymore either.

I guess I don't like the changes because I wanted to get away from WOW(I unsubbed recently) but in a way, here they are bringing WOW to me.

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
kudos:3

said by Chuck_IV:

I haven't seen any complaints from any guidies, who are high level(many are 95 already) so who knows.

I like Helm's Deep for the most part, and the spec-tree change was more a nuisance, than a fix. Convenient to re-trait without a Bard though.

What I really don't like is the lack of new raid content for end-game. The last true end game raid (I don't count the Big Battles or the lairs from last X-pac) was the Tower of Orthanc, 2 expansions ago.

This, I think, will hurt and cause long-term players like myself to leave more than anything else. Turbine/WB has already confirmed no new raids coming soon either. But there will be a player housing re-vamp, and likely new cosmetic horses!
--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong

Chuck_IV

Connecticut

Yea, I don't understand their ignorance with regard to end game raiding. The Big battles, while fun, get old fast(I'm now 85 so I am ready to finally hit the new xpak content, beyond the big battles).

I've noticed a serious lack of population in my guild as of late. They have hit 95 and the big battles thing seems to have worn off, so hardly anyone logs in anymore.

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
kudos:3

said by Chuck_IV:

I've noticed a serious lack of population in my guild as of late. They have hit 95 and the big battles thing seems to have worn off, so hardly anyone logs in anymore.

Same way with my kin. Although, we can usually drum up 12 for a weekly raid. We've often been doing old scaled content, like a full T2 clear of OD (last night), rather than Big Battles.

Which is another of Turbine's strangeness. Who did they think they were doing favours for, scaling the old content? I guess new players? Oh, I can run this at 95 now? That's nice.....but I was thoroughly bored of it two expansion packs ago.....
--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong