join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Sweet Witch

MVM

to Sweet Witch

Re: [WIN7] Printer IP wrong, how to change?

said by Sweet Witch:

Ok, well, the stupid thing switched itself back to 192.168.1.2.

How exactly do I set a static IP? In the router or printer?

I would look at the router first. I have had several, from an SMC Barricade 7004BR with the last firmware update to my current Asus RT-AC66U, which allow to configure DHCP reservation.

If the router is not so capable (and I imagine only older routers are lacking), you should be able to limit the DHCP range; then manually assign an IP address outside of that range to the printer.

Sweet Witch
Be the flame, not the moth.
MVM
join:2003-07-15
Gallifrey

Sweet Witch

MVM

I'm using the verizon modem/router.
Sweet Witch

Sweet Witch to NormanS

MVM

to NormanS
Ok, I set it to static in the printer, will that over-ride the modem/router?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by Sweet Witch:

Does the gateway allow you to configure the range of assigned IP addresses? I don't know how that device handles IP addresses if a manual assignment overlaps the DHCP pool.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

What kind of router is it?

My Verizon FIOS actiontec doesn't need any mollycoddling to assign sticky IP addresses; it simply does.

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy to Sweet Witch

MVM

to Sweet Witch
said by Sweet Witch:

Yes, since it is no longer requesting a DHCP address from the modem/router. The only time you might have an issue, and why I suggest doing both, is if the printer loses power and its settings. Normally setting a static IP address on the printer outside of the DHCP range is sufficient.

fxtr
Premium Member
join:2002-09-15
Reston, VA

fxtr to Sweet Witch

Premium Member

to Sweet Witch
You can set a Static Lease Type to the printer in the FIOS Actiontec Router even if the IP is within the range of assignable IP address. The router will always assign the same static IP to the printer when it requests an IP.
Under Advanced tab, IP Address Distribution, Connection List, edit the printer and select the Static Lease Type check box.
I have two printers, PC and a network disk set up this way and I don't have to deal with IP addresses changing when they have been off for some time