Search similar:

uniqs

Hot Knife
@videotron.ca

Hot Knife to bklass

Anon

to bklass

Re: ITMP undue preference complaint filed against Bell

Back in Aug the CRTC stated that they need to conduct a proceeding on how vertical integration has affected a bunch of things (this was also stated *i think* when Bell got CTV and again with Astral).

Has anything ever materialized in the way of a proceeding on vertical integration to date other than the CRTC stating they need to conduct this? It doesn't ring a bell with me. Anyone know?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to resa1983

Premium Member

to resa1983
They screwed me for the NFL app, it wasn't in the play store.

Not only that but I have to be a Bell Customer to.watch clips.

THC
@videotron.ca

THC to bklass

Anon

to bklass
Have a question for you Ben. Do you know if Virgin Mobile requires a Bell TV subscription to get their Mobile TV?

I looked it over a couple of times and it doesn't appear to be the case.

Hemp Milk
@videotron.ca

Hemp Milk

Anon

And something else in relation to data. Somewhere in this topic, and your filing, you measure 1-hour of viewing as 512-meg, if i'm not mistaken (based on Bell).

I don't believe this includes any upstream at all. After all, communication is a 2-way street. So in effect when you or I watch something on say, netflix, there is also the upload data that is counted. But it isn't with Bell Mobile TV. So in effect it's 512-meg (in size?) + free upstream.

I think this is also important since any other content (youtube, netflix) would see data on your upstream transmission being counted and charged for (rounded to the nearest kB).
bklass
Premium Member
join:2012-02-06
Canada

bklass to THC

Premium Member

to THC
I asked the guy at the Virgin kiosk at the local mall just the other day - Mobile TV is available to Virgin customers exactly as it is to Bell Mobility customers, according to the sales rep.
bklass

bklass to Hemp Milk

Premium Member

to Hemp Milk
I based my calculation on what Bell's website says, which is that 1 hour takes approximately 0.5 GB of data.

Hemp Bagel
@videotron.ca

Hemp Bagel to bklass

Anon

to bklass
said by bklass:

I wonder if anyone still has the app installed on their phone, and if so, does it still work? I noticed it's provided by "MobiTV" which I've seen mentioned in the regulations since way back (2005)

I found nothing much on this, but, a MobiTV press release for about 3 weeks ago states Telus is still using it.
»www.sacbee.com/2013/11/2 ··· biz.html

I still wonder why it would be offered to me on their website where my location is set to QC and where they have zero TV services. Just saying...

I also wonder how this works in relation to the new wireless code?

Does it have a usage counter all on its own measured in hours?

Since it isn't part of the "data bucket", how does it work in terms of overages (there are a couple of scenarios).

How does it work in terms of warranty? Virgin, for example, states you have 30-minutes of voice. I didn't notice how many minutes or hours of this data exempt service you have.

I think you brought up some examples in your filing. Will have to relook at that.

In regards to your #21:
Bell stated to the CRTC during the Astral proceedings that all other WSP's are free to enter into commercial terms with Bell to distribute these TV stations via mobile. Bell also stated that none of it would count from a consumers "data bucket".

And if one notices, this is also word-for-word what they stated in the vertical integration proceeding. This is the reply you are going to get in regards to your filing. Writing is on the wall. Literally.

Think they stated this here:
»www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/trans ··· 910.html
or maybe this one:
»www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archi ··· -163.htm

The CRTC seemed to accept this. I wonder why they didn't ask how they can give hours/unlimited of content w/o it using up and costing any data on both the upstream and downstream? Odd.
bklass
Premium Member
Canada

bklass

Premium Member

Thanks, got a bit of work to do here but I will definitely look over those transcripts. Bottom line as far as I understand it is that Mobile TV is not a BDU service it's an Internet service, which means it's subject to ITMP framework. Bell seems to be arguing that it's a BDU, but Mobility doesn't have the license for that as far as I know.
bklass

bklass to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
From Ofcom's International Communications Market Report, released last night:

"The benefit of fixed wireless networks is that using wireless technology over the last mile makes network deployment much cheaper, as it is not necessary to run wiring to each customer's premises" (Footnote 74, page 265)

Coca Plant
@videotron.ca

Coca Plant to bklass

Anon

to bklass
Why did I think of you when I read this?
»www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/com10 ··· 1212.htm

WHY!

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

Guspaz to bklass

MVM

to bklass
Fixed wireless is basically completely unrelated to mobile wireless. Don't need dedicated towers, don't need backhaul at every step, don't need spectrum licenses for many use cases...

Opioid
@videotron.ca

1 recommendation

Opioid to resa1983

Anon

to resa1983
Bell's discounting of mobile TV against the rules, complaint claims
»www.cbc.ca/news/technolo ··· .2445059
quote:
"The size of the data caps that apply to non-Bell content services are wildly out of proportion to those applied to Mobile TV, dollar for dollar," writes Klass in the CRTC complaint. "This disparity in data caps is tantamount to Bell reserving network capacity for its own content. Can there be any legitimate justification for such a practice?" ...

"I thought to myself, 'Wait a minute, this isn't TV, this isn't broadcasting; this is the internet. And because they own the TV programming, they're giving themselves a benefit that … your YouTubes or your Vimeos or your Netflixes — they can't get this benefit," Klass said in an interview with CBCNews.ca. ...

"If I watch the CBC app, it counts against my data. The very same CBC program can be found on Bell's app, but it doesn't count against the data," Klass said.

Bell refused to comment on the complaint, saying only that it would be "happy to respond to any CRTC inquiries about the service." Netflix also declined to comment.

Ben hits the CBC today. Above are only some snippets. Worth the whole read.

Hallucinogen
@videotron.ca

Hallucinogen

Anon

Ben on the Radio (am900 CHML, Hamilton radio):

Bell Canada is stifling competition and hogging the capacity on Telus-Bell shared networks:
»soundcloud.com/#am900chm ··· wireless

I wonder how long it will take for an "industry consultant" to make a CRTC complaint to try and get this radio host taken off the air

Peak Buzz
@videotron.ca

Peak Buzz

Anon

Ben Klass in the french Media (CBC again)

Forfaits de données : Bell accusé de favoriser indûment son contenu
»www.radio-canada.ca/regi ··· ss.shtml

Un étudiant allègue que le géant Bell façonne l'utilisation de l'Internet à son avantage, pour mieux se positionner dans le marché de la diffusion vidéo sur les appareils mobiles et les tablettes.

I find it funny there is absolutely nothing in any of the PostMedia media, Nothing in Quebecors giant media papers in english or french (Sun Media, Le Journal de Montréal, Toronto Sun), Nothing on it with CTV, nothing in the Financial post, Nothing on Global, Nothing from TorStar, Nothing in The Globe and Mail, and Nothing in Le Devoir.

Only the Huffington Post, Yahoo news, CbC french and English, and one Hamilton Radio station.

Odd.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

Odd? Not really.
Look at concentration of media ownership in those organizations, by the very incumbent teco/cableco's for whom "undue preference" is their operating principle.

" I'm shocked, shocked to find that undue preference & suppression of news is going on in here!"
bklass
Premium Member
Canada

bklass

Premium Member

Goes to show the importance of having democratic media, that without the internet we'd just be getting fed scraps from someone else's lunch.

That being said, I think a lot of people think it's silly and the off hand response is usually, well who cares its just a cell phone

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by bklass:

That being said, I think a lot of people think it's silly and the off hand response is usually, well who cares its just a cell phone

Yeah, but take their phone away and most of these Twits and FaceTards would be lost without them.

Lines2Snort
@videotron.ca

Lines2Snort to MaynardKrebs

Anon

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

" I'm shocked, shocked to find that undue preference & suppression of news is going on in here!"

All kidding aside, this is going to come out in 2014 @ a CRTC filing and/or public proceeding.

Blotter2Go
@videotron.ca

Blotter2Go to bklass

Anon

to bklass
said by bklass:

Well yeah. People are naturally trusting blind souls.

Oxy
@videotron.ca

Oxy

Anon

BTW, did anyone here notice that a certain "telecom consultant" was spinning this as:

"Ben Klass is trying to raise mobile data rates for content".

"People should be happy that Bell and Rogers are offering their content at such a low price"

I don't know what to believe now? I'm so confused. Maybe the telecom consultant is right and Ben is some sort of communist trying to get all of our mobile data rates raised.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

Viva la revolucion!
bklass
Premium Member
Canada

bklass to Oxy

Premium Member

to Oxy
said by Oxy :

"Ben Klass is trying to raise mobile data rates for content".

Who was saying that?

Oxy
@videotron.ca

Oxy

Anon

Ben Klass opposes lower data rates.
Not in those exact same words, but close enough. Look at the history of the twits feed from a few days ago

»twitter.com/Mark_Goldber ··· 52766208

»twitter.com/Mark_Goldber ··· 75649536

Basically, his trollish conclusion is that pic above.

I think he's just looking for attention since some Mobile website recently called him a zero and a never-was (or close, and maybe harsher than that going by memory).
bklass
Premium Member
Canada

bklass

Premium Member

Crazy. I just looked, he had some things up there about it more recently. I suggested that if he feels strongly, he should file an intervention.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

He's a shill for the Wireless companies.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Ahaha what a dipshit...
bklass
Premium Member
Canada

bklass

Premium Member

I would love to see a debate between Ezra Levant and Goldberg on one side and Michael Geist and Jesse Brown on the other...

Oxy
@videotron.ca

Oxy to bklass

Anon

to bklass
said by bklass:

Crazy. I just looked, he had some things up there about it more recently. I suggested that if he feels strongly, he should file an intervention.

Ben, I have to ask. Are you trying to raise data rates?

Is this some sort of commie trick you are pulling on us?

The all knowledgeable telco consultant says you are against lower data rates. I guess he's right.

Will the headline come January in the Toronto Star be:
Ben Klass raises Bell Canada's data rates. Bell to fight in court to lower them again.

My world is now crushed.

*reaches for a bottle of anything to drown the sorrow*

Don't say it isn't true. Golburg said so.

LINES Galore
@videotron.ca

LINES Galore

Anon

said by Oxy :

Ben, I have to ask. Are you trying to raise data rates?

No reply.
I guess Ben is secretly a Bell shill then. An undercover Bell employee raising data rates through regulatory BS.

How sneaky.
bklass
Premium Member
Canada

bklass

Premium Member

Sorry I was transcribing this conversation for my evil overlords.