uniqs
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

Re: ITMP undue preference complaint filed against Bell

Both Bell & Videotron filed requests for extension for their filing, due to the hearings the last few weeks.
JMJimmy
join:2008-07-23

JMJimmy to bklass

to bklass
said by bklass:

Throughout the proceeding, Videotron has been on the fence, stating that it has stopped giving the data cap exemption for some users and intimating that it is considering stopping altogether. With Rogers backing out, and this latest round of interrogatories, I'm hoping that they do the right thing.

If they all back out will the CRTC still rule on the matter?
bklass
Premium Member
join:2012-02-06
Canada

bklass

Premium Member

I can't see Bell backing out, they've staked their claim and they are going to carry it to conclusion.
JMJimmy
join:2008-07-23

JMJimmy

said by bklass:

I can't see Bell backing out, they've staked their claim and they are going to carry it to conclusion.

I can see them making a change that is enough to make the issue go away while still getting what they want... like removing the bandwidth exemption and giving a bandwidth credit to offset any usage.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by JMJimmy:

said by bklass:

I can see them making a change that is enough to make the issue go away while still getting what they want... like removing the bandwidth exemption and giving a bandwidth credit to offset any usage.

That makes some sense because the marginal cost of bandwidth to Bell is essentially zero for each customer at Bell's scale, even if they had to invest a few tens of millions to bump capacity up.
jumpingryan
join:2008-07-27
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan to JMJimmy

to JMJimmy
said by JMJimmy:

This mobile TV thing really pisses me off, but I am actually glad it came out. It will hopefully expose Bell to regulators in their bogus and high inflated mobile data charges, and the reality that there is no shortage of capacity on their network:

1) Bell claims that spectrum capacity is in demand and a limited resource.... hence the reasoning for their huge upcharges for usage on data. Then Bell pushes out one of the most spectrum hungry resources.

On Bell turbo hub, which uses the same spectrum.... Bell charges $7.00 a gigabyte in usage starting up to 15 gigs then $10.00 a gigabyte in overages.

If data spectrum is really that much in demand, and so expensive, why is Bell charging on average $2.13 a gigabyte for their Bell TV using Bell's calculator for mobile video? The markdown for their own data is huge.

As it now appears, the true costs of mobile data are shown in their move... likely far less than $2.13 a gigabyte.

2) Bell customers who can't get DSL are forced to a Turbo Hub... Bell decides who gets DSL, and who gets a Turbo Hub through their network upgrade plan.

If this isn't an attempt at market manipulation on many aspects, I don't know what is.

3) If wireless spectrum is amongst the cheapest ways to roll out access to voice and/or data, where is this cost savings to the customer? Why does mobile access remain one of the most expensive ways for a customer to get voice and/or data?

In short, one company controls far too much of the telecommunications... both medium of provision and content.
bklass
Premium Member
Canada

bklass to JMJimmy

Premium Member

to JMJimmy
said by JMJimmy:

In my original submission I suggested that an equitable, lawful way of encouraging customers to use the mobile TV service would be to increase bandwidth caps and allow customers to choose which streaming service to use, separate of the carriage.

Bell chose to ignore this suggestion.

Let's just say over the course of this past week it became clear to me that we would be seeing this to a decision.
bklass

bklass to resa1983

Premium Member

to resa1983
Here's a zip of Bell's responses to the September 29 interrogatories. Question #7 will be of particular interest, in which Bell completely ignores the question of "if the 10 hours for 5$ was an ITMP, explain whether it's just or not"
bklass

bklass to resa1983

Premium Member

to resa1983
Here's Videotron, conveniently in one PDF

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to bklass

Premium Member

to bklass
Zip is corrupt , I can't extract anything
bklass
Premium Member
Canada

bklass

Premium Member

SORRY. THEY RESENT. ORIGINAL OPENED NO PROB ON MY COMPUTER. CAT HIT CAPS LOCK. CAT LOCK LOL.
jumpingryan
join:2008-07-27
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan to bklass

to bklass
said by bklass:

In my original submission I suggested that an equitable, lawful way of encouraging customers to use the mobile TV service would be to increase bandwidth caps and allow customers to choose which streaming service to use, separate of the carriage.

I agree totally on that. This is really particular to the people who are stuck on Turbo Hubs as their only available method of getting internet.

This sort of content thing REALLY irritates me, as I pay $7 to $10 a Gigabyte usage for content using a Turbo Hub. As per my previous post, Bell likely makes a profit at $2 to $3 a Gigabyte.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to bklass

Premium Member

to bklass
said by bklass:

Question #7 will be of particular interest, in which Bell completely ignores the question of "if the 10 hours for 5$ was an ITMP, explain whether it's just or not"

Yeah, whaddaya expect from dem bums?

Bell's expecting the CRTC to gloss over that and say it doesn't matter because the CRTC has no power to compel an answer from Bell on that - or anything else (despite the CRTC claiming they have the same powers as a Superior Court). If the CRTC did have those powers, why isn't everyone sworn in - under pain of perjury charges if they lie - during CRTC hearings?

What's the CRTC going to do - tickle Dear Leader George Cope, Most Benevolent and Divine - and thereby get him to spill the beans on Question 7? They may as well do that because the CRTC isn't going to hit Bell with a $100MM fine (or any fine) for failing to answer the question.

It constantly amazes me how the CRTC finds ways to continually brings the administration of Justice (or anything that they're responsible for) into disrepute.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to bklass

Premium Member

to bklass
Same problem, maybe DSLR is corrupting it.
resa1983
Premium Member
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

Bell sent another one this morning..
I can open it fine with Windows 7 (no zip utility installed).
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather

Premium Member

Heh, dig how the file name got truncated to have "ass" before the file extension.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to resa1983

Premium Member

to resa1983
Same issue even on my phone
resa1983
Premium Member
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

All the files in the zip are .doc.. I'm opening them in Word 2010 without problems..

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

Both of bklass's files seem to fail on extraction. resa1983's can at least be extracted, but I don't have Word installed at the moment, so I can't actually read them

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Wow ... Bell dodging the questions any which way they can! Why does one expect anything but?

Mobile TV is a broadcast undertaking, but it isn't really, it's a radiotelecommunications service, but it's a broadcast undertaking but it isn't it's an allowed radiotelecommunications service.

I'm surprised they haven't argued that their other broadcast services aren't radiotelecommunications services and don't require a broadcast license too.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to resa1983

Premium Member

to resa1983
I see bell's ### and raise them #####
bklass
Premium Member
Canada

bklass

Premium Member

Elwood I can email you the files if you'd like. Just DM me your address or whatever they call private messages on this site.
fmradio68
join:2013-07-05
Montreal, QC

fmradio68 to bklass

to bklass
Can you post the 2 page of the Quebecor.

I don't have word and on my phone it won't open up.

I am curious as to what comes after: ...sa tarification sera basee

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to bklass

Premium Member

to bklass
said by bklass:

Elwood I can email you the files if you'd like. Just DM me your address or whatever they call private messages on this site.

I got'em Ben, I used Resa's post
fmradio68
Montreal, QC

fmradio68 to bklass

to bklass
Ben,
Can you post the second page of that Quebecor letter?

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

download the file posted ... and open it with an image program ... you will have both pages.
fmradio68
Montreal, QC

fmradio68

Thanks sbrook!!!! For some reason, the default was set to notepad. Maybe I did something way back that I don't remember. So I opened it with acrobat and it works.
bklass
Premium Member
Canada

bklass to resa1983

Premium Member

to resa1983
Hey folks,

This weekend I got the news that Bell is taking the mobile TV decision to federal court. They've filed a "leave to appeal" motion with the Federal Court of Appeals, which has some ahem, interesting things to say about the decision.

I'm weighing options at the moment, so I'm somewhat unsure of what I can/should say about this, substantially at least.

Anyway, it's happening, and here's the document. PDF pages 9-14 and 279-308 are the meat of it, the rest is mainly documentary evidence comprising filings from the CRTC proceeding.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

Guspaz to resa1983

MVM

to resa1983
I strongly suggest that you get in touch with CIPPIC, if you don't have your own lawyer. They can at least point you in the right direction for what your next step would be. They're the closest equivalent we have to a Canadian EFF, and more specifically, they're who the EFF referred me to when I needed some legal advice on digital matters.
LastDon
join:2002-08-13

LastDon

Bell Canada > the company that takes Canadians that use public methods to court.

Good going Bell Canada makes me want to be your customer even more lol