how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Chele

join:2003-07-23
kudos:1

Another Fiber question --- Fujikura FSM-20RSII12 manual

Well folks, I got a fusion splicer through Ebay. The unit is a Fujikura FSM-20RSII12, it is in beautiful shape cosmetically with an arc count of 290. I got it for a bit over $300. The splicer came by itself, nothing else came included. I have absolutely no idea on how to use it;) I'm willing to lose the money if it doesn't work as I am just looking at it as part of my education of fiber optics! There is a big chance it doesn't work as it should, but so far the unit is creating an arc(it melts the ends of the fiber) but not a splice. I have been looking high and low and just can't seem to be able to find a manual for it. I even wrote to the manufacturer and the main/only US importer, but have not heard from them yet. Does anyone know where I might be able to find any info on it?

As always, thanks for any and all the help!

Killa200
Premium
join:2005-12-02
Southeast TN

Did you get a cleaver as well? That is a mass fiber splicer modem number, so what holders did it come with, single or multiple fiber holders?

Chele

Killa200
I received nothing other than the splicer:( I just got an email from Fujikura with a manual. Will see what I got.
Thanks

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
reply to Chele

A quick google suggests it can do anything from 1 to 12 fibres. I guess that depends on the adapters you have.

But either way it sounds like it should be able to do single fibres, and also ribbon fibres, which is probably a nice feature to have.

Chele

reply to Chele

I got it to "burn" the ends, I hope the parameters were just off. Now I need to find a single fiber adapter and I think I'll be set!

Killa200
Premium
join:2005-12-02
Southeast TN
reply to Chele

And a cleaver, as you can't make reliable fiber burns without cleaving the ends.

Chele

reply to Chele

I had already bought a Corning Unicam mechanical set that came with a cleaver. I think it should work, at least for now!

warwick

join:2009-06-05
Hollywood, FL

Good deal... Was able to find a Siecor M12 Fusion Ribbon splicer for about ~$250 online however it did not come with any fiber holders...

man o man is it ever a pain to find them... no luck yet.

You might have better luck though, Fujikuras appear more popular.

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
London, UK
reply to Chele

said by Chele:

I got it to "burn" the ends

Burn?

Do you mean fuse?

Chele

No, it doesn't fuse, but I believe it's related to improper setup. The ends look rounded(after having been cleaved), almost as if it had a water drop at the end.

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
London, UK

Can you attach some photos?

Chele

I sure can, but it won't be until next week--we are working all weekend and I left the splicer with someone else.

join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to Chele

said by Chele:

No, it doesn't fuse, but I believe it's related to improper setup. The ends look rounded(after having been cleaved), almost as if it had a water drop at the end.

That sounds like an arc power test.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=18tjTzHRwaw

BTW you are removing the cladding from the fiber before trying to weld it, yes?

Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to Chele

BTW I have an manual for an FSM-11, maybe there is something in that manual that is related to the 20 and might help you to get in the ballpark. If you want me to upload let me know.

Chele

reply to Chele

Matrix
It's not the arc test, I can do the arc test as well as the "Arc", it just won't splice:) In the arc test it just rounds the ends, with the arc it actually looks like little blobs of material at the fibers' ends. I don't have any fiber holders and I think the splicer is not able to do it's job without them. I did get a partial manual from Fujikura, partial because it included the text but no pictures:( And yes, I'm removing the cladding cleaving and wiping the fibers prior to testing. Fortunately, I had already bought a complete Corning Unicam set that included all the other tools to prep the fiber. I'm not too pressed to make the splicer work as the Unicam will allow us to complete the job. I just have to hunt down the proper fiber holders. I do believe the splicer is working as it should. We are actually running the fiber this weekend, we just won't terminate it as the customer is not ready on what he needs to do on his end.

Thanks

Tuscaloosa, AL

said by Chele:

I don't have any fiber holders and I think the splicer is not able to do it's job without them.

I don't think it can without the holders, it needs to be able to make micro-adjustments during the welding process and without the holders it cannot do so.

Also while I am not sure about that splicer, the ones I have used require a cleaver that matches the holder.

The process is strip the cladding, wipe the glass and place it in the holder, then the cleaver it placed on the holder and it cleaves the glass exactly where the welder needs it, then the holders are placed in the welder and it manipulates the ends of the glass to where it wants them. As such you normally cannot hand cleave a fiber and place it in the holder or welder.

I do believe the splicer is working as it should.

If it fires up and the screen is clear then that’s a good beginning.

Chele

What you are saying makes perfect sense, I have to find the holders---the hunt is on!
thanks