kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to anon

Premium Member

to anon

Re: Shaw digital cable

Basic cable should continue to work (I am not aware of any place that is removing the basic channels), the extra tiered channels, yes you will need a cable terminal.

While your TV has the digital tuner, the channels are encrypted so that they can't be watched without paying, which requires the terminal to decode

Anonimuz
Premium Member
join:2008-12-08
canada

Anonimuz

Premium Member

Some of the smaller systems are moving to digital only, so a DCT will be needed to get any programming.

Anon
@shawcable.net

Anon to kevinds

Anon

to kevinds
Thanks very much the replies. I do find it a bit surprising that even the basic local channels, ie. CBC, local news, community channel, are now encrypted on the digital cable. Recall the days of analog cable, all these local channels were always directly accessible without any decoder box. Aren't there any laws that require the basic channels be maintained that way?
tlhIngan
join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC

tlhIngan to Anonimuz

to Anonimuz
said by Anonimuz:

Some of the smaller systems are moving to digital only, so a DCT will be needed to get any programming.

Larger networks as well - Surrey BC is all digital.

Of course, requiring a decoder means it's easier to switch to a competitor - one of the big advantages Shaw has over Bell and Telus was you could run TVs on Shaw without a box, but on Bell (satellite) and Telus you needed a box on every TV.

But since you need a box on every TV, well, you start thinking about cutting the cord or going to a competitor - if you have to buy new boxes anyways...
corbin
join:2013-09-13

corbin to Anon

to Anon
said by Anon :

Recall the days of analog cable, all these local channels were always directly accessible without any decoder box. Aren't there any laws that require the basic channels be maintained that way?

No. As satellite-direct-to-home and DSL-based-IPTV services (See: Bell, Bell ExpressVu, Shaw Direct, Telus as examples) require a box to gain service, it is completely acceptable for a MSO to require this as well. They just have to carry certain channels by requirement, with no specifics about them being analog or unencrypted.

You can buy an HD Antenna and likely get some service over the air still, if you TV has a QAM Tuner.

Disclaimer: This is my personal understanding, I am by no means an expert or authority on this topic.
Expand your moderator at work