bklass
Premium Member
join:2012-02-06
Canada

bklass to Purple Haze

Premium Member

to Purple Haze

Re: ITMP undue preference complaint filed against Bell

Bell Mobile TV can be watched on other carrier's wired networks via Wi-Fi I believe. Also, I do not believe that open internet data transfer involves any toll rates.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by bklass:

Also, I do not believe that open internet data transfer involves any toll rates.

That depends on the relationships between intervening networks.
bklass
Premium Member
Canada

bklass

Premium Member

Right, transport is what you're talking about, right? I sincerely doubt a company like Bell employs third party transport services to 151 Front Street, unless of course that party is Telus, with whom Bell has a network sharing agreement (they refer to each other as "partners" when necessary).

I would love to learn more about this, so far I've found these types of agreements to be shrouded in trade secrecy.
bklass

bklass to InvalidError

Premium Member

to InvalidError
As I understand it, IXPs only charge rent for rackspace, etc, and no toll for data capacity. Andrew Blum's book Tubes was a good infrastructure-for-dummies and I take note of this kind of stuff whenever possible, but if you have some more resources I would be grateful if you passed them along.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by bklass:

As I understand it, IXPs only charge rent for rackspace, etc, and no toll for data capacity.

Well, one can only cram so much bandwidth in a given footprint and equipment investment at any given time so, even if there is no "per bit" charge, you still have costs that scale with capacity - you aren't going to need quite the same equipment, facilities access and services for 10Gbps as you would for 200Gbps.

And there are transit providers who do not take kindly to clients (ISPs) stretching the limit of their traffic volume ratio agreements. Transit providers are in the business of selling globally routable capacity by the Gbps, unlike Internet exchanges that are acting more like a large LAN connecting a bunch of relatively local entities together.
bklass
Premium Member
Canada

bklass

Premium Member

The regulatory classification of these services depends in large part on whether there are tolls or not, in my understanding.