spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Corry

@verizon.net

[Internet] Best Modems for Time Warner cable

I'm going to be switching from Verizon I am looking a modem Wirless combo or going with modem and a Apple Airport Extreme.What do you think I should do?

Matt7

join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..

1 recommendation

said by Corry :

I'm going to be switching from Verizon I am looking a modem Wirless combo or going with modem and a Apple Airport Extreme.What do you think I should do?

»www.timewarnercable.com/en/resid···dem.html

ramjet73

join:2002-12-22
Honolulu, HI

1 recommendation

reply to Corry

said by Corry :

I'm going to be switching from Verizon I am looking a modem Wireless combo or going with modem and a Apple Airport Extreme.What do you think I should do?

You definitely want to go with the separate modem and router option since using the integrated device means having to depend on the cable company for all firmware updates. The current favorite cable modem seems to be the Arris/Motorola SB6141 which is capable of supporting eight channels down and four up and works well for most users including myself.

It might also be worth considering an ASUS RT-AC66U router instead of the Airport Extreme based on the following reviews:

»www.trustedreviews.com/apple-air···l_review
»www.trustedreviews.com/asus-rt-a···l_review

PamelaTS

join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless
·Clear Wireless

I have to agree I love my SB6141 no issues, the ASUS RT-AC66(U/R) is a great choice. The difference between the U and R , the R is exclusive of Best Buy and exactly the same hardware/firmware

said by ramjet73:

said by Corry :

I'm going to be switching from Verizon I am looking a modem Wireless combo or going with modem and a Apple Airport Extreme.What do you think I should do?

You definitely want to go with the separate modem and router option since using the integrated device means having to depend on the cable company for all firmware updates. The current favorite cable modem seems to be the Arris/Motorola SB6141 which is capable of supporting eight channels down and four up and works well for most users including myself.

It might also be worth considering an ASUS RT-AC66U router instead of the Airport Extreme based on the following reviews:

»www.trustedreviews.com/apple-air···l_review
»www.trustedreviews.com/asus-rt-a···l_review

--
---- Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
---- Albert Einstein

--
TWC [20/2] / Motorola SB6141 / ASUS RT-AC66R (fw 3.0.0.4.374.130) / DAP-1522 (a1) fw 1.40 {1 @ 5ghz bridge mode; 2nd semi-retired}

patt2k

join:2009-01-16

I do have the AC66u.. but if you say it's best buy exclusive how does newegg have it ?

scooper

join:2000-07-11
Youngsville, NC
kudos:2
reply to Corry

I just switched from a Motorola SB5101 to a Motorola SB6121 - I'm liking better so far. My speed tests are more consistent (and working) now.

PamelaTS

join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless
·Clear Wireless
reply to patt2k

said by patt2k:

I do have the AC66u.. but if you say it's best buy exclusive how does newegg have it ?

Go re-read what I wrote : The R the Best Buy exclusive (RT-AC66R) as opposed to the (RT-AC66U) they are actually the same router running the same firmware. Put brain into gear, before putting mouth into motion!

cyrisneo

join:2011-08-25
Florence, SC
reply to patt2k

Hey since you have Asus I got the 68R from BB the other day and couldn't get the single port forwarding to work...have you had any issues if you use port forwarding?

Unbundled
But When ? ?
Premium
join:2010-09-13
Irving, TX
reply to ramjet73

said by ramjet73:

I ordered the white retail version of the SB6141 Monday on Amazon. I didn't get that much of a discount -- it was $84, so I'll make that up in 14 months.
--
A La Carte Cable Choice is the ONLY Choice I'm Interested in ! ! ! ROKU 2 XS (3100R) ~ TWC HD Digital Adapter DCI 401 TWC 2 by Technicolor ~ Clear Hub Express Modem / Wi-Fi Router Model # WIXFBR-131