uniqs
share rss forum feed

jeffscott

join:2008-08-19
Atlanta, GA

Update my EMAIL settings??

Anyone else receive this?......

"Dear AT&T Internet Service Member,

Our records indicate that you are not using the most current secure settings in your email client software. If you use an email application such as Microsoft® Outlook® or Apple® Mail to send or receive email, you will need to update your email settings by Dec. 11, 2013 in order to continue accessing your email through your email application. (If you currently access your email via webmail and the att.net homepage, you do not need to take any action.)

What You Should Know
Using the latest settings will provide better performance and increased security when you access your email.
Changing your email settings does not change your email ID or password.
If you do not update your email settings by Dec. 11, you won't be able to access your email through your email application and will only be able to access your email through att.net

How Do I Update my Email Settings?

You can update your email settings easily online at the AT&T Support site. Simply go to att.com/updatesettings or copy and enter the web address in the navigation bar of your browser. You'll have the choice to either update your settings automatically with the AT&T Email Updater or update them manually.

If needed, additional support is available at »home.secureapp.att.net/mailupdatesupport.

We suggest that you take action as soon as possible. Remember, you must update your email settings by Dec. 11 to continue using your email application to access your email.

If you receive reminder messages in the coming weeks after you have updated your settings, please disregard those messages.

Thank you for choosing AT&T for your Internet needs.

Sincerely,

Your AT&T Internet Services Customer Care Team"

I'm using a Mac running OSX Mavericks with Apple Mail....

Tennis Guru

@sbcglobal.net

I had the exact e-mail on 11-21-2013. Started looking to check to see if it was a scam... Reversed checked the e-mail on Spokeo and showed up as a person and not ATT.

jeffscott

Atlanta, GA

I ckd w/ ATT on twitter and rep referred to link that did indicate to update settings. I think I'm going to ignore it, though, and take my chances. Can always update if it doesn't work. BTW, I have received a follow up email reminder that advised to ignore if I've updated. Which brings to mind "how will they know?" if I have if the reminder says to disregard if I HAVE!?

bbk

@sbcglobal.net

So, your assessment is that it's NOT a scam? Is it true, though, that Outlook will no longer receive any emails if settings are not updated? I'm confused.

Telesat Guy

join:2012-08-15
reply to jeffscott

This is from AT&T, I called when I got the same message, but I never use outlook anymore. If you are not using the port 995/465 for SSL mail then on Dec 11th you will not be able to use outlook. It won't connect.

If you are questioning it, goto their website - its in the letter - att.com/updatesettings

you can click on the link in it, or it give you the option to manually change it.

If you just goto the att.net site like I do now, no worries nothing changes.

jeffscott

Atlanta, GA

Unfortunately, they haven't offered settings for the current version of Apple Mail (included with Mavericks)..

lev
Smells better here without the monkey
Premium,Ex-mod 2002-08
join:2001-05-30
Chicago, IL
kudos:2

The updatesettings page has a link to an article which allegedly contains manual settings, but that link doesn't work, at least outside of AT&T's network.

»www.att.com/agent/article.jsp?sid=KB401568

Also, these geniuses only have their tool compatible with Mac OS 10.6.8 or earlier, when 10.9 is the current revision of the OS. Clowns.

This is the kind of thing that when it is found out, belongs in a FAQ.

jeffscott

Atlanta, GA

The answer I received from ATT rep on twitter was it's apples problem. I advised att, no "apparently it's mine.."

jeffscott

Atlanta, GA
reply to bbk

Not a scam. Att basically told me it's apple's problem (I'm using a Mac) to adjust the email client to make it in line with their required settings. I told the att rep, no..apparently it's MY problem...

naseqp

join:2003-11-02
Fernandina Beach, FL
reply to jeffscott

Like some I thought it was bogus until Dec 11 and I had two business network machines cut off from ATT/Yahoo mail servers.

First machine I used the ATT tool (with crossed fingers) and promptly broke my machine.
I tinkered around awhile trying to repair oE and trying different things, Dumped a lot of old unread emails trying to make some room.

It seems OE sees all the messages as "new" so it was trying to download over 9000 emails.

So I moved all my inbox emails to other folders for 2011,2012 and 2013. Tried again with an empty "in box"
Got to 5100 or so and choked. No room on disk.
Okay, relocated the message store to another partition.
joy, all 9000+ downloaded and it took awhile.
Then I deleted all those and moved my 2013 back to in box.
Whew!

Next I did the other workstation settings manually. Worked off line again and moved all emails in inbox to another folder.
Went online and again OE says "Aha!" 5000 new emails, grabbed them all. Same drill, moved all to deleted and flushed and moved the emails being kept back to in box.

Looks like to me since the mail server names were changed OE saw all emails as "new". Whehter its the old Yahoo servers just renamed or new servers with the data moved to them, all new to the email client.

Thanks ATT, I certainly didn't have anything ELSE to do today you royal PITA's.

A warning about this would have really nice and saved me a lot of time figuring out what the flipflop was going on.

Amyone having a prob post and i'll try to help.

jeffscott

Atlanta, GA

WHAT a nightmare! Fortunately, I've experienced no problems following the recommendations from this post. Nevertheless, I'm still skeptical as to AT&T's reasoning behind it..other than inflicting unnecessary difficulty on their customers! Especially with the sterling reputation Yahoo! Mail has out there!
That being said, there will continue to be the dread that any day I could encounter problems when least expected! Reliability and simplicity are two selling points quickly disappearing from the technological marketplace as far as end users are concerned!

naseqp

join:2003-11-02
Fernandina Beach, FL
reply to naseqp

Now they have a new trick.
Tried logging in by webmail and it briefly shows my in box, then interrupts with a new window opening telling me to login again to confirm my password. Okay.

So I do it and it shows the inbox for about a second and then opens the same damn window....saying the same thing.

Doing this on both our att mailboxes.

To quote reddit....scumbag ATT.

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by naseqp:

Tried logging in by webmail and it briefly shows my in box, then interrupts with a new window opening telling me to login again to confirm my password. Okay.

So I do it and it shows the inbox for about a second and then opens the same damn window....saying the same thing.

The blame for this should probably go to Yahoo, not AT&T.

What I did: I told "noscript" to allow scripts globally. Then I tried to read mail. That worked. Then, when done, I turned of the "allow scripts globally"

Yahoo needs to put back that classic mail interface. That one actually worked. The current interface is crap, and getting worse.
--
AT&T Uverse; Buffalo WHR-300HP router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.3; firefox 24.0

randavis
74 Challenger 440 4bbl

join:2000-01-19
Blue Springs, MO

said by nwrickert:

Yahoo needs to put back that classic mail interface. That one actually worked. The current interface is crap, and getting worse.

I'm in total agreement with you!
--
IUOE Local 101

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to naseqp

said by naseqp:

Now they have a new trick.
Tried logging in by webmail and it briefly shows my in box, then interrupts with a new window opening telling me to login again to confirm my password.

Not seeing that here. I am using "mail.yahoo.com" to log in for web mail. Also note that my "@pacbell.net" accounts were converted to free Yahoo! Mail accounts after I left AT&T service. I use Thunderbird with IMAP for client access.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum