uniqs

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

bluepoint to swintec

to swintec

Re: Ultimate 100 on 12/11 for NYC

said by swintec:

said by bluepoint:

will you reason out that it will be fine because there is no other competition in your area?

I have competition in my area, DSL among others.

Everyone knows what a DSL is.
said by swintec:

But...I will be sure to call them up and tell them that Cox hundreds of miles away doesnt have caps and that if they dont do something about it i will for sure drop my service and go with Cox....hundreds of miles away. Do you think Cox might run a really long cable drop up to my house?

You don't have to call Cox just continue your generosity, no one is going to stop you if that's what you want to do. But don't tell others to stop voicing their opinions, it's their business to do so.
54761437 (banned)
join:2013-01-18
Durham, NC

54761437 (banned) to swintec

to swintec
said by swintec:

said by 54761437:

...and upload remains stuck at 5Mbps. Is TWC serious with this bullshit? Comcast offers higher uploads. Charter offers 30/4 for $30 a month for 12 months. Hell, even Cox offers 100/20 for $89 a month for 3 months ($99 after). CableOne offers 50/3 for a $35 promo rate.

Why is Time Warner offering the worst value in Internet?

Well, I think you will find none of us can get those speeds or prices from the companies you mentioned. At the end fo the day, where we all live, TW offers the best value for internet.

So, you're saying that other large incumbents like Comcast and Cox *don't* have virtual monopolies in most of the regions they serve? Because, if true, why are they still offering a competitive product, relative to TWC's? TWC usually only has to contend with DSL providers, and they know most DSL is 3-7Mbit since VDSL is highly distance limited. So they realize if people want faster speeds they're the only game in town. Notable exclusions are areas where TWC competes with FiOS and other fiber projects.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by 54761437:

So, you're saying that other large incumbents like Comcast and Cox *don't* have virtual monopolies in most of the regions they serve? Because, if true, why are they still offering a competitive product, relative to TWC's? TWC usually only has to contend with DSL providers, and they know most DSL is 3-7Mbit since VDSL is highly distance limited. So they realize if people want faster speeds they're the only game in town. Notable exclusions are areas where TWC competes with FiOS and other fiber projects.

Your original post tried to make a comparison between non-competing cable companies and 'competition' with regards to speed / price. As I stated before, what Cox is offering their users for speeds in Arizona has absolutely nothing to do with what TW offers me here in Maine. it makes no sense to even bring it up...if I cant sign up for it, I would not use it for comparative purposes.

Most areas have only one cable company, some DSL options, LTE and maybe something else. If we single out the cable company...it isnt TWs fault a cable overbuilder has not come to your neighborhood to build out their own network. TW isnt putting distance limits on DSL, TW does not limit spectrum in the mobile data network and put caps in place. There is downfalls to all of the internet solutions.

But..again, you compared speeds / price in your original post. You seem to like speed. I prefer moderate speed and no caps. The cable companies you listed either have caps or have published limits they may or may not be enforcing just yet. Ill keep 30/5 or 100/5 uncapped than the other speed tiers from the other cable companies that i cant get who have limits on their service...with that said, TW is the better value.
54761437 (banned)
Durham, NC

1 recommendation

54761437 (banned)

No, I understand what you're saying vis a vis non-competing MSOs, but what I'm getting at is a larger point about national cable broadband competitiveness. For instance, Comcast is pushing through IPv6 upgrades and was, to my knowledge, quicker to market with DOCSIS3 than was Time Warner. Yes, they don't compete, and yes, Comcast is a bigger company. But that's just an example. Comcast faces the same smattering of crappy DSL competitors as TWC does, but they seem to be more competitive in the face of little competition. I have to ask why. For practical purposes (as in, what YOU can subscribe to), it doesn't matter. But in the bigger picture, I think it does.

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup to Nick21

to Nick21
Even with effective monopolies in some areas (IE: only old style DSL and not U-Verse or FiOS), they have to make the different tiers competitive with themselves. What's the point of trying to upsell someone if the upsold product sucks and has no real differentiation from the base tiers?
54761437 (banned)
Durham, NC

54761437 (banned) to swintec

to swintec
Also, Comcast and others have caps now, but it seems fairly likely to me that TWC will at some point institute caps. They've flirted with the idea for years but have only done it in test markets. And if they keep losing TV subscribers, it seems only logical.

Nick21
join:2010-02-03
New York, NY

Nick21

Just a week away, has anyone confirmed the date 12/11? I'm surprised no one is talking about NYC getting 100.

AhnHEL
Angel
Premium Member
join:2000-09-11
Orlando, FL

AhnHEL to Nick21

Premium Member

to Nick21
I'm surprised we haven't gotten emails yet, the way LA customers were notified in advance.

Nick21
New York, NY

Nick21

Did LA customers get an email early? I remember an employee posted some internal email/alert but afaik customer emails were sent closer to 11/18.

AhnHEL
Angel
Premium Member
Orlando, FL

AhnHEL to Nick21

Premium Member

to Nick21
Yes 11/18, so an entire week before their upgrade on 11/25 although some customers were upgraded on the 20th. We should have gotten an email today by that token for a 12/11 Upgrade.

fatal
join:2000-12-29
Brooklyn, NY

fatal

any updates on this?

AhnHEL
Angel
Premium Member
Orlando, FL

1 recommendation

AhnHEL to Nick21

Premium Member

to Nick21
I'm thinking its BS for 12/11. No emails, no announcements and even the TWC website lists 50mbps as their top tier.

Nick21
New York, NY

Nick21

Yeah that's what the rep told me but Los Angeles doesn't even reflect the ultimate 100. The fact that the website doesn't have notice that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

AhnHEL
Angel
Premium Member
Orlando, FL

AhnHEL to Nick21

Premium Member

to Nick21
I'm not second guessing what the rep told you, I just dont think TWC is "on schedule" for a 12/11 release.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to AhnHEL

Premium Member

to AhnHEL
said by AhnHEL:

I'm surprised we haven't gotten emails yet, the way LA customers were notified in advance.

LA customers weren't really notified in advance. We got an email that said "You've been upgraded, reboot your modem!" Unfortunately the upgrade just wasn't ready yet, but people started reporting the updates just a couple days later.
descartes
join:2013-09-24

descartes to swintec

to swintec
said by swintec:

Well, I think you will find none of us can get those speeds or prices from the companies you mentioned. At the end fo the day, where we all live, TW offers the best value for internet.

In my area it is either Time Warner or Fios.

Time Warner constantly advertises a triple play on tv "starting at" $79.99/month which includes 3/1 internet.

Fios advertises their triple play starting at $89.99/month which includes 50/25 internet (which is really more like 58/42).

I mean, I know how great 3/1 internet is and all, but seriously? Time Warner doesn't appear to be interested in competing at all, and their equipment fees are very high as well.

The other TWC ad on tv is for internet only service for $14.99 which is 2/1. The next step up is 3/1 for $29.99 a month, then 15/1 for $34.99 a month. I can't imagine why anyone would ever get the standalone 3/1 service when 2/1 is half the price.

If you want faster standalone internet service 50/5 is $64.99 a month from TWC where Fios is offering 50/25 for $59.99 (granted, they want a 2 year contract for that price on standalone internet, I think it was $84.99 a month without it, at which point you might as well pay $5 more a month for TV and phone service and no contract).

So I guess there are some areas where TWC doesn't offer quite the best internet value.
54761437 (banned)
Durham, NC

54761437 (banned)

It still kills me that the highest upload Time Warner chooses to offer is 5Mbit, while Comcast and friends fly by them, offering 10Mbit and higher. TWC isn't even trying anymore.

fatal
join:2000-12-29
Brooklyn, NY

fatal

Yeah but comcrap has caps!

kilrathi
Premium Member
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

kilrathi to Nick21

Premium Member

to Nick21
As long as there are no caps for tw elite broadband tiers I dont really care if we get 100 or not. Its all good.
gregj63
join:1999-07-09
Fresh Meadows, NY

gregj63 to swintec

to swintec
No internet this morning for me in East Village. Rebooted and found I now have 8 downstream channels rather than the 4 I'd always had previously. Hope this is a sign of speed increase coming soon. Maybe it will help my slow speeds every evening too.

Hawkeye61
Premium Member
join:2000-06-26
Southgate, MI

Hawkeye61

Premium Member

Hi I thought twc in NY locks our modems down with a different password how were you able to see the downstream info?
Thanks,
Bryan
gregj63
join:1999-07-09
Fresh Meadows, NY

gregj63

With my TWC-supplied Arris modem, I can see that at the IP address, 192.168.100.1

Hawkeye61
Premium Member
Southgate, MI

Hawkeye61

Premium Member

Ok thanks will check it when I get home here's to getting 100!
Thanks,
Bryan

Evolution
join:2001-10-17
Darien, CT

Evolution to gregj63

to gregj63
said by gregj63:

No internet this morning for me in East Village. Rebooted and found I now have 8 downstream channels rather than the 4 I'd always had previously. Hope this is a sign of speed increase coming soon. Maybe it will help my slow speeds every evening too.

Still showing 4 on my modem in the UWS. Rebooted and nothing changed.

jdrtech
join:2004-08-01
Richmond Hill, NY

jdrtech

I just spoke to twc rep..they have no clue about the upgrade speeds....LOL hahhaaaa

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

bluepoint

said by jdrtech:

I just spoke to twc rep..they have no clue about the upgrade speeds....LOL hahhaaaa

Now, they know what to say. The previous rep the OP talked to said Dec. 11, however, he/she didn't say what year.

Hawkeye61
Premium Member
Southgate, MI
TP-Link Archer C9

Hawkeye61 to gregj63

Premium Member

to gregj63
Hi,
I use the ip address I can see the ubee first screen which gives modem info and mta info.. I see docsis 3.0 compliant and mac address, serial number, boot code.. No ip address, or channel info.. There is a login option on the left side, no login or password seems to work..
Any ideas on how I can see that screen?
Thanks for your help,
Bryan

AhnHEL
Angel
Premium Member
Orlando, FL

AhnHEL to Nick21

Premium Member

to Nick21
I know there are some places in the world with the worst of internet speeds, even 56kbps dial up, but I still get disappointed when I see my 57/5.7 speed tests.

Nick21
New York, NY

Nick21

Spoke with tier 3 again, he explained 12/11 is when they began upgrading but certain nodes need amplifiers? And the completion is set for 2013 for Manhattan and 1/13/14 is the "market wide launch" for NYC.

kilrathi
Premium Member
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

kilrathi to Nick21

Premium Member

to Nick21
I will believe it when I see it.