dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Jaxion08
join:2013-11-21

Jaxion08

HT1000 system control page not displaying correctly.

It won't show my data allowance or anything in Firefox or Chrome. Earlier I was having trouble loading some pages, but not others so I went to 192.168.0.1 to check it out. The system status showed a green light, but on the home page it wouldn't show the meters or anything in the square where data allowance should be. I click on System Status and the area where all the information should be is blank, System Information is blank, Connectivity Test shows the box with a gray to white gradient, but nothing in it, Help showed the same. I went to the Advanced Configuration and Statistics page and everything looked normal (don't know what most of that stuff means, but there was nothing showing red and everything says cool things like "associated"

So, I did a system reboot which didn't fix it, and unplugged the power and plugged it back in, same thing. I finally called tech support and after looking at everything and saying it was fine they asked what browser I'm using. I'm using Firefox, so they asked me to pull up the page on IE, and everything is there. It shows my Data Allowance meters and everything. They recommended I either use IE (lol) or reinstall Firefox.

The weird thing is I know it was working fine yesterday and I haven't installed any new addons and I don't remember anything updating since then, but I went ahead and hit the reset Firefox thing, which sets it to default. This didn't fix the problem so I just restored my settings to what they where.

I was curious and pulled it up in Chrome and of course the same problem is there too. I even tried in Maxthon which is a browser I tried a while back and once again all the important areas are blank. The only browser that is displaying the page properly is Internet Explorer, which I can't stand.

I really don't understand this and am getting really frustrated, any help?
tomupnorth
join:2005-01-14
UpperMidwest

tomupnorth

What version of Firefox? Explain exactly: "hit the reset Firefox thing"? What does "restored my settings to what they were" mean?

One thing to try: use CCleaner to Analyze then Run Cleaner on FF Internet Cache.
Jaxion08

Jaxion08

Firefox version 25.0.1

When I reset I went to the Firefox button at the top left, help, and troubleshooting information. On that page is a reset button that resets it to stock settings and gets rid of all your addons, but leaves your bookmarks and maybe the cookies and history.

When you do this it drops a folder on your desktop called "Old Firefox Data". When I saw that doing the reset hadn't fixed the problem I copied the contents of this folder into my profile folder, which can be accessed from the troubleshooting information page as well.

I haven't run CCleaner in a while, so thanks for the reminder, but it didn't fix the problem. I also just ran Malware Bytes Anti-Malware and it found 6 things, one of which was something called scorpion saver or something which is a toolbar I must've accidentally installed with another program, but removing it and the couple of other minor things didn't help either. Note that I just ran the quick scan, so it is possible that a full scan could find something. I also ran the Avast quick scan, which found nothing.

I'm thinking it's a problem with my system or maybe a virus that MBAM and Avast are missing since it's not just Firefox that's having the problem. Chrome was doing the same thing, and whats weird is that just now I opened Internet Explorer and I can't pull up any websites with it at all! It shows a completely white screen, won't even attempt to load any url's I type in, doen't tell me any kind of errors, and when I click on the gear dropdown on the right everything is grayed out except for File, Safety, and Compatibility View Settings. Last night it was working fine. Firefox and Chrome are still working fine except the Hughesnet System Control Center problem that brought me here.

I'm not really sure what to do now. Maybe run a different virus scan?

Edit: Since this is starting to look like less of a Hughesnet issue, should I take this to another forum like Bleeping Computer or something?

gwalk
Premium Member
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

gwalk

Premium Member

Even though this may be leaning more toward a Browser/System problem than Hughes related it still may be helpful to other less experienced Hughesnet users.

I would say in the very least do post back with what you find.

As a side note, you may wish to ensure that Both Avast & Malwarebyts are fully updated and then restart you computer in Safe Mode" (hit F8 repeatedly from hitting the power button until menu selection) and start each program manually and perform in depth scans.
There are time where something "pesky" will prevent effective scans during a normal startup that are bypassed in Safe Mode.

Skyway
Skyway
join:2003-02-04
Mission, BC

Skyway to Jaxion08

to Jaxion08
Maybe its a networking issue...

HN1000 uses the 192.168.0.1 IP address....the same address that about 50% of the routers out there use...you need to be sure your router is set for a different subnet than the router...if any 2 devices on your network are trying to use the same address's you could get these kinds of problems...

gwalk
Premium Member
West Mich.

gwalk

Premium Member

All browsers would have been affected equaly.
tomupnorth
join:2005-01-14
UpperMidwest

tomupnorth to Jaxion08

to Jaxion08
I can find that "reset" feature of FF you mentioned so wonder what OS you are running. In any case it does feel like a virus or malware problem.

I'd certainly do a deep Avast scan and any other anti-malware you can find.

Do you have either a full image backup of your computer, backup to a Windows server, or can you do a System Restore to some time before this happened?

No it doesn't feel like a HN or modem problem at all. Is your email working?
Jaxion08

Jaxion08

Wow, I finally got it. I went and posted on Bleeping Computer with my problem -here's the post if you care to read through a bunch of logs and crap that didn't help. After downloading and running like 10 different programs and posting the log files they guy helping me declared that I had no viruses or malicious programs on my computer and to bug Hughesnet again. So I opened Revo Uninstaller to see if I needed to uninstall any of those programs he had me use or if I could just delete, and guess what?

Scorpion Saver was still installed on my computer, even though MBAM had "removed" it when I did that scan before I asked for their help. I'm guessing that's why it didn't pop up in any of the scans we did. So yea, I just used Revo to uninstall it and clear all it's registry entries and now everything is working fine again.

And even though the guy at BC didn't fix the problem, I'm still kinda glad I did all the things they had me do because my boot time is about 30 seconds faster now, and it was because of all those programs that I even looked at my installed programs list.

gwalk
Premium Member
West Mich.

gwalk

Premium Member

Thanks for sharing the final outcome.