spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Jon92
@rogers.com

Jon92

Anon

[Modem/Router] Setting up home network

I have a hitron technologies cgn2-rog gateway from rogers supplying my home network, and it is garbage.

I stream videos through my wireless network and this gateway would just cause them to freeze and buffer. Even NHL gamecenter wouldn't play without buffering every 10 seconds and it is connected through LAN from my PS4.

I picked up a Netgear 6300 and connected this to the rogers gateway and connected everything to the 6300. Now everything runs perfect, never buffers and in perfect quality.

Basically now I want to be able to forward ports for certain devices in my network, but not sure how to go this with the roger gateway feeding the 6300.

I've tried turning DHCP off on the 6300 and using it has an access point and all the previous issues returned.

Right now,
the Rogers gateway has an IP of 192.168.0.1
The 6300 has a IP of 192.168.1.1
The only thing connected to the rogers gateway is the 6300.

How can I forward port when two gateways are being used?

Maxx2006
join:2013-02-02
Guelph, ON

Maxx2006

Why not put the rogers modem into bridge mode and let the netgear hand out the lan ip addresses and forward any ports via the Netgear.
vincom
join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON

vincom

said by Maxx2006:

Why not put the rogers modem into bridge mode and let the netgear hand out the lan ip addresses and forward any ports via the Netgear.

+1
simon726
join:2006-12-21
Ajax, ON

simon726 to Jon92

to Jon92
There are obvious reasons on why running a "modem/gateway" operation on a single box tends to compromise speeds and other lagging factors.

I personally don't have the Hitron, but I have the Cisco DPC3825 gateway - in which I changed towards a "modem only" operation (aka Bridge Mode). I then use my Cisco Linksys E2500 wireless router and so far, I have no issues whatsoever.