share rss forum feed

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24

[Need Info] foobar ability

Does foobar have the same ability to stream music from stations all over the world as does Winamp?

ltsnow
Premium
join:2006-04-08
Valdosta, GA
kudos:1
Yes it does. You just have to add the station link in the "add location" box, but may I recommend Screamer Radio or RadioSure, which are designed to be just radio players.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
USA

1 edit
Thank you and I will definitely check your suggestions as well.

In that you suggested both of them, which one is lightest on resources and provides the best/most stations worldwide? Which one would you suggest, assuming you have used both?

ltsnow
Premium
Valdosta, GA

1 edit
reply to jaykaykay
I use both all the time, but I have to recommend Screamer. If you get it get 0.4.4 and although it is old it is still great. He now has a newer beta one that requires NET 4.0, but it is much bigger and IMHO not as good. It is such a small program and it works great. I have all my favorites set up the way I like them. It has lots of presets, but I have just rooted out the stream addresses of stations I like from Google. Then I just manually add them to my favorites.xml file.

RadioSure is a little bigger and a little newer. It is also very good, but they have a pro version that costs something and removes the limit of favorites (30). Screamer is free and has no limits. I find myself just using Screamer all the time now.

»www.screamer-radio.com/

»www.radiosure.com/

If you want I will post my favorites .xml file that I have accumlated over time. It would save you a bunch of time. It has the major 24 news stations, some oldies music stations, and some good all sports stations. It's not real big, but it could get you started.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
USA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy
Thank you for all the great info. I shall try Screamer first. I really like Celtic music and find it impossible to get any here on any stations we have around town. As to your .xml file, that's up to you. I might find something in it that I can use, but mostly it's for the Celtic stuff I want anything. Maybe some Nashville Country too.

Got it and now to install. I will wait till I am ready to close my other programs, but a hearty thank you again.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

2 recommendations

You might find tunein.com useful/interesting. Streams through your browser (no need to install anything IIRC) and it's also available as an app on other platforms.

»tunein.com/radio/Celtic-Music-g138/ for celtic music -- both radio stations and shows.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
USA

1 edit

1 recommendation

Now that's perfect! I am already tuned in. Thank you.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
Glad you like! I've been using it for a couple of years -- I love audio dramas, so BBC 4 Extra is a favorite of mine
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

ltsnow
Premium
Valdosta, GA

1 recommendation

reply to jaykaykay
If you don't want to open a webpage to listen you can try RadioSure. I just checked it and all you have to do is a search for Celtic music and there are many listings. Then you just add them to your favorites. That's were RadioSure is better than Screamer--you can search for anything you want.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
USA
Cool. That works well too. I am one,happy camper.