uniqs
share rss forum feed

IIgs
Premium
join:2002-10-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:1

New Apple TV coming?

I'm planning to buy an Apple TV any day now, but before I do, any chance there's a new model coming out shortly to replace the current version 3/3.5? Should I wait?

To be honest I'm not that keen on the Apple TV after borrowing a version 2 for a couple of months, but it's one of the few devices that will let me access Netflix's American content from Canada (well, with the free alternative service I'm using instead of Unblockus.com or others out there). And gave up on trying to get my Sony smart TV to access US streaming services.

mromero
Premium
join:2000-12-07
The O.C.

small possibility of it coming out within the next 3 months. Huge possibility of a new one coming out by wwdc 2014

AppleGuy
Premium
join:2013-09-08
Canada
reply to IIgs

Did you try setting the modem DNS for US access? That's what I had to do for some devices.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to IIgs

I'm glad you asked, I was debating getting an Apple TV too. Just to play around with really,.....

I guess I'll just wait it out a bit.

mromero
Premium
join:2000-12-07
The O.C.
reply to IIgs

apple just bought the same company that developed the original Microsoft kinect, word is they want to put the tech in the new apple tv

IIgs
Premium
Montreal, QC
reply to IIgs

AppleGuy: Yep, tried the alternate DNS directly into the router, didn't work. I think the Sony Bravia TV is hard coded to use regional firmware (announcing the fact it's in Canada) that prevents it from using Netflix US or Hulu Plus.

The only media devices this Internet company supports (excluding portable stuff and PC's) are the Apple TV, Xbox 360 and Playstation 3's. I do have a Yellow-Light-Of-Death PS3 which I might be able to repair, but I'd have no way to control it....no gamepad and don't think it works directly with a universal remote. My 360 is out too. At least I know the Apple TV works, and it's a quick and simple solution.

Might just go ahead and buy the Apple TV now.... I don't want to wait upwards to 1 year or so.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by IIgs:

and don't think it works directly with a universal remote.

Not without an external IR receiver connected to the PS3 (we have one, works great).
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

IIgs
Premium
Montreal, QC
reply to IIgs

Well, picked up an Apple TV at Staples during the week, but before I had a chance to open it, read an announcement the free DNS redirection service will no longer be available starting January 2014.

Going to take back the Apple TV for now while I rethink my plans.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by IIgs:

Well, picked up an Apple TV at Staples during the week, but before I had a chance to open it, read an announcement the free DNS redirection service will no longer be available starting January 2014.

Going to take back the Apple TV for now while I rethink my plans.

Move to the US and you won't any problems receiving our entertainment ...
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...