Mod
join:1999-05-28
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

justin

Mod

Pinball Arcade

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 3_WeUPmY

Even without being one of the few pre-Xmas PS4 additions to the store this is a must buy.

cbrigante2
Wait til Next Year
Premium Member
join:2002-11-22
North Aurora, IL

cbrigante2

Premium Member

I am almost ashamed to admit how many hours I burned on Pinball FX2 on the 360. I'll be getting this. It looks pretty realistic!

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy to justin

MVM

to justin
I've got this for the iPad and PC (it just hit Steam this month), with all of the tables, a great game if you love pinball. Normally two new tables a month. And these are actual real world tables that have be ported.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod

justin

Mod

a game ideal for a controller neither keyboard nor touch seems right for it to me.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207 to justin

Premium Member

to justin
The PC version on Steam is supposed to be getting the PS4 treatment with a future patch to include DX11 lighting and effects.

The PC portrait view mode is a nice touch on the PC, but I'm not using it as much since many of the camera views tend to change the aspect a bit too much. Things that are perfectly round should appear perfectly round, but this is not the case in most portrait view options. It reminds me of the early days of HD programming where one of the "science" channels would air a show on the solar system where the image was stretched across my HD TV screen. I realize the Earth is not a perfect sphere, but it should not look like an egg!

Pinball Arcade is the best value out there, but I think the development team's resources are bit stretched as well. Bought it first for the Xbox 360, then bankruptcy of their publisher and difficulties with Microsoft prevented any further updates. I moved to the PS3. Delays with the PSN store processes stopped much needed patches from occurring and the new tables lagged far behind the mobile options. I tried the game on a new iPad but the small size and lack of analog nudge that I became so accustomed to with the consoles had me going back to the PS3 soon after the Season 2 tables started to become available.

While it is cheap, I have spent a lot of money on this game.

I own everything that was released for the Xbox 360.
Android Season Pack 1.
iOS pro mode through Season 2 Pack #14.
PS3 all pro modes and custom balls through Season 2 pack #19
PC Seasons 1 & 2 pro mode.

Still worth every penny.

Weirdal
Premium Member
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE

Weirdal to justin

Premium Member

to justin
said by justin:

a game ideal for a controller neither keyboard nor touch seems right for it to me.

I would disagree. The Ipad version is more fun to play because of the vertical screen. It doesn't have to do the dynamic cameras and stuff that's necessary to play pinball games on a widescreen display.

I suppose the ideal way would be to turn a PC monitor sideways and use a controller, but most people don't have that ability. Touch isn't that bad though, it's only two digital inputs.

captokita
Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

1 recommendation

captokita to justin

Premium Member

to justin
I got this a couple of months ago from plus, it was free, and included Theatre of Magic which is one of my favorites. Also had Space Shuttle, Ripley's, and Tales of the Arabian Nights. Not a bad emulation, and rather fun. I kinda want to buy the White Water table, as that is also one of my favorites.

I'm just curious why they haven't released the best pinball of all time (of which I own one) The Addams Family! Seriously, what's up with that?

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

said by captokita:

I'm just curious why they haven't released the best pinball of all time (of which I own one) The Addams Family! Seriously, what's up with that?

Licensing is all over the place with that one. Far Sight is working on securing the rights to this table, but there are so many different licenses that have to be individually agreed upon that it is an enormous endeavor compared to any previous kickstarter programs.
jmn1207

jmn1207 to Weirdal

Premium Member

to Weirdal
said by Weirdal:

I suppose the ideal way would be to turn a PC monitor sideways and use a controller, but most people don't have that ability.

I grabbed one of these 3M monitor stands for my 27" PC monitor.

»solutions.3m.com/wps/por ··· MA110MB/

The photos are very blurry as I was taking these looking into a bright window with my iPad, but it shows how I can simply rotate my monitor and tilt it back 20°. Works great with pinball arcade's portrait mode, although, as I stated previously, the images are slightly skewed depending on the camera view being used.

cbrigante2
Wait til Next Year
Premium Member
North Aurora, IL

cbrigante2

Premium Member

That's pretty cool!

justin
..needs sleep
Mod

justin

Mod

it's up on psn store

it made me work out my tv had bad lag: from the first flip it felt lagging. turned off all the tv filters etc and it is playable: still slight lag vs a real table but workable.

cbrigante2
Wait til Next Year
Premium Member
North Aurora, IL

cbrigante2

Premium Member

I'll give it a look later tonight.