SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

[Networking] Weird SSID Issue

With no changes in a longstanding setup (which includes broadcasting the SSID), the wireless connection on my Actiontec router suddenly went flaky. Basically, it would not appear as an available connection on devices trying to connect wirelessly.

A hard reset of the router worked for a couple of days, but it happened a second time and the hard reset didn't work. Completely unplugging the router for 10 or so minutes did work the second time, but only for a short while before the connection disappeared again from the list of available wireless connections.

While all of this was happening everything seemed hunky dory on the router's management pages.

Now the going got weird. When I had set up this router ages ago I changed the SSID name to "enterprise." I called tech support and very quickly they decided to send a replacement, which arrived the next day (kudos, Verizon). The new router works fine, but when I try to change its SSID to "enterprise" the wireless connection on the new router disappeared completely from devices looking for available wireless connections!

I did a hard reset and everything is fine, and I went ahead and reconnected all of the household's wireless devices using the new SSID and WPA2 key (ugh - that's what I was trying to avoid ).

I waited through a few refreshes of the list of available wireless connections on an iPad and a laptop, but "enterprise" never showed up. Did I not wait long enough or is something else going on?

I wasn't expecting the replacement to arrive so quickly, so in the meantime I ordered that Trendnet WAP that has been mentioned in this forum. I'm tempted to hook it up and rename the SSID to "enterprise" to see what happens.
--
Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

bluepoint

join:2001-03-24
Are you asking help for your non SSID connection or new WAP? Let's try the former first. I've seen same problem from relatives/friends of not finding the SSID like yours. It's sometimes caused by changing the router physically and using the same SSID. There is no rule not to use the same SSID, however, some wireless clients cannot cope with the change and will result in not recognizing the SSID. What I've done to solve this scenario is to delete/remove the wireless profile of the clients then start from scratch. For Apple products use the "forget this network" option or "reset network settings". Note the latter option will remove all network profiles.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
reply to SixOfNine
said by SixOfNine:

I did a hard reset and everything is fine, and I went ahead and reconnected all of the household's wireless devices using the new SSID and WPA2 key (ugh - that's what I was trying to avoid ).

I waited through a few refreshes of the list of available wireless connections on an iPad and a laptop, but "enterprise" never showed up. Did I not wait long enough or is something else going on?

If you did a hard reset and connected using the new SSID (I assume you're referring to the router default SSID, your post isn't clear), why would enterprise show up? Or perhaps in your configuration the router was trying to use enterprise but was set to not broadcast therefore would not show up on the list of available.

Or it may be a new version of firmware doesn't like enterprise because it may be a reserved keyword now.

What happens when you change the SSID to NCC1701.

SixOfNine
Premium
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to bluepoint
Thanks for the excellent suggestion to delete the old wireless profile from the clients, too. That would certainly explain the weirdness, and I'll give that a shot.

I'm fine setting up the new WAP.
--

SixOfNine
Premium
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to birdfeedr
said by birdfeedr:

If you did a hard reset and connected using the new SSID (I assume you're referring to the router default SSID, your post isn't clear), why would enterprise show up?

Thanks for replying. Perhaps this part of my post is clearer:

The new router works fine, but when I try to change its SSID to "enterprise" the wireless connection on the new router disappeared completely from devices looking for available wireless connections!

Then comes the sentence you quoted, in which I point out that I gave up and used the "new" (i.e., default) SSID and WPA2 key of the replacement router.

I think bluepoint See Profile is on to something. I plan to experiment when futzing with SSIDs doesn't cause wailing and gnashing of teeth in the household.

said by birdfeedr:

What happens when you change the SSID to NCC1701.

It probably warps into another quadrant. Actually, "enterprise" is not the real name -- I chose a pseudonym for discussion purposes.
--

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
join:2006-01-17
West Chester, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Cricket Broadband
·Verizon FiOS
WPA2 Enterprise?? As in 802.11x

Are you a running a business, with a Radius server on your network??

WPA2 Enterprise doesn't work unless you have a radius server in the mix, is this a home or a business network that you are running??

Home networks should be set up with WPA2-AES-PSK, not Enterprise.
--
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET

bluepoint

said by KA3SGM:

I think he said,
said by SixOfNine:

When I had set up this router ages ago I changed the SSID name to "enterprise."

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
West Chester, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Cricket Broadband
·Verizon FiOS
As in the NCC-1701 Enterprise??

Networking terminology gets complicated, but WPA2-Enterprise doesn't work with simple home networks.

The continuous confusion ensues....

I prefer simple SSID's like Go F**k Yourself, F**k Off, GO Away, Ignore Me, and None OF YOUR Business, and I purposely keep them cloaked/hidden, for very obvious reasons.
--
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET

SixOfNine
Premium
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to KA3SGM
said by KA3SGM:

Are you a running a business, with a Radius server on your network??

WPA2 Enterprise doesn't work unless you have a radius server in the mix, is this a home or a business network that you are running??

Home networks should be set up with WPA2-AES-PSK, not Enterprise.

What bluepoint See Profile said. I wasn't setting up an Enterprise network -- I had simply renamed the SSID to "enterprise" (which, as I pointed out later was a pseudonym, and a poor choice, given this misunderstanding).

OK, OK, the real SSID name on the old router was "deathstar." Are you all happy now?

Anyway, my dream was to be able to give the replacement router the same SSID and WPA2 password as the old one in the hope that I wouldn't have to go through the wireless network setup routine on every single device in the house that uses a wireless connection (phones, iPads, computers, Roku, xbox, Apple TV, you get the picture).

I bit the bullet and went through that setup on most of these devices using the factory settings of the replacement router. The good news is that lowers the urgency of my issue substantially, making it more of an intellectual itch to be scratched rather than the SOS that it was originally.

Once again I do appreciate all of you taking the trouble to respond. Thanks again!
--

SixOfNine
Premium
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to KA3SGM
said by KA3SGM:

I prefer simple SSID's like Go F**k Yourself, F**k Off, GO Away, Ignore Me, and None OF YOUR Business, and I purposely keep them cloaked/hidden, for very obvious reasons

I'm with you, but I have visions of my wife hearing one of my children shout "Dad, what's the password for 'Go F**k Yourself?'"
--

bluepoint

reply to KA3SGM
said by KA3SGM:

As in the NCC-1701 Enterprise??

Networking terminology gets complicated, but WPA2-Enterprise doesn't work with simple home networks.

The continuous confusion ensues....

I don't know if his statement is confusing, it's more likey he's saying his wireless SSID "enterprise", is not being seen.

"Now the going got weird. When I had set up this router ages ago I changed the SSID name to "enterprise." I called tech support and very quickly they decided to send a replacement, which arrived the next day (kudos, Verizon). The new router works fine, but when I try to change its SSID to "enterprise" the wireless connection on the new router disappeared completely from devices looking for available wireless connections!"

said by KA3SGM:

I prefer simple SSID's like Go F**k Yourself, F**k Off, GO Away, Ignore Me, and None OF YOUR Business, and I purposely keep them cloaked/hidden, for very obvious reasons.

There is no such thing as hidden with the proper tool that is openly available for everyone to download and install.

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
West Chester, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Cricket Broadband
·Verizon FiOS
reply to SixOfNine

The SSID isn't being broadcast at all, only serious hackers would be the only ones able to see it.

But all of my kids are in High School, I tell them they should say that kind of stuff to most of their lousy teachers on a daily basis.
--
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY
said by KA3SGM:

But all of my kids are in High School, I tell them they should say that kind of stuff to most of their lousy teachers on a daily basis.

I hope that was a joke.

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
West Chester, PA
Nope, not a joke at all.

IM/PM me if you want to talk about it.
--
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
reply to KA3SGM
My network's been named after a Netsky variant for years.
--
Oh, Opera, what have you done?

marc3565

join:2009-10-08
reply to KA3SGM
could also set it to FBI_surveillance_van_... to freak out any local druggies or conspiracy theorists

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4

1 edit
reply to matcarl
N/M