Search similar:

uniqs
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

Are there any reasons not to install IE 11 for Windows 7 x64?

When IE 11 started to appear in Windows 7 x64 updates I hid it to let someone else be a beta tester.

Are there any reasons not to install IE 11 for Windows 7 x64? I use Firefox as my main browser and only use IE for sites that don't seem to render correctly in FF.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

»Windows 7 - IE
»After installing IE11 on Windows 7 64 bit

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One to JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

to JoeSchmoe007
I don't use IE either, so the update is irrelevant to me.
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

said by Wily_One:

I don't use IE either, so the update is irrelevant to me.

It is relevant to everyone because a lot of Windows components use IE.

Wily_One
Premium Member
San Jose, CA

Wily_One

Premium Member

Windows Update is the only thing that "requires" IE. The monthly Patch Tuesday is the only time it runs on my system.
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

said by Wily_One:

Windows Update is the only thing that "requires" IE. The monthly Patch Tuesday is the only time it runs on my system.

I think there are applications that use IE for rendering HTML content.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO

Premium Member

Yes, indeed. E.g. I use EditPlus to edit HTML files and it's very convenient to see result with IE. I just press Ctrl+B and within EditPlus there is embedded IE window, that renders that file... Of course, not everyone use EditPlus, but I'm sure there are other programs, that offer similar feature.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to JoeSchmoe007

to JoeSchmoe007
I wouldn't know what applications use only IE to work but web developers consider IE an inconvenience, to put it mildy, and generally downgrade their markup to make things work with it. To test your browser's technical capabilities, visit this site. You can also find a link at the top for all the other major browsers.

Now, be warned, that is a technical site, and I wouldn't expect you to understand any of the findings listed there. But the number at the top tells the tale.

Suffice to say, if you visit any technical magazine that publishes their visitor statistics, you'll find that web developers, the people who know best how the web works, do not use IE.

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

bluepoint

said by howardfine:

Suffice to say, if you visit any technical magazine that publishes their visitor statistics, you'll find that web developers, the people who know best how the web works, do not use IE.

And a good web developer build websites that are compatible to all major browsers. A good web developer makes sure their clients can get the most of their site visitors since IE is not going away.

howardfine
Saint Louis, MO

1 edit

howardfine

That is true but it doesn't make IE a better browser and takes nothing away from IE's inadequacies. It's still an inept browser no matter what we do. And there it will sit for at least another year while every other browser improves and upgrades every 6 to 8 weeks.

bluepoint

1 recommendation

bluepoint

said by howardfine:

And there it will sit for at least another year while every other browser improves and upgrades every 6 to 8 weeks.

That's the thing, everyone thinks other browsers improves at every 6-8 weeks but in fact they are getting beta products, it's like the upgrade never ends. IE releases are slow but when they have one, the improvement is mature, truly a solid browser as far as I'm concern.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

Dustyn to JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

to JoeSchmoe007
None that I can think of.
It's more than likely the LAST major version of Internet Explorer that Windows 7 will see. Why remain one version behind?

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

rfhar to JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

to JoeSchmoe007
I let IE11 install when it first appeared and have not had a problem with it but I, as you mostly use Fx and go to IE for the same reason you do.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to JoeSchmoe007

to JoeSchmoe007
I upgraded it on all my 7 machines to 11 to close up holes. I use chrome or FF on those machines for normal browsing, but as mentioned many programs use IE as the default renderer no matter what you have set as your default web browser.

The little I have used it it seems to run fine... but that is not much use

howardfine
Saint Louis, MO

3 edits

howardfine to bluepoint

to bluepoint
said by bluepoint:

everyone thinks other browsers improves at every 6-8 weeks but in fact they are getting beta products

Absolutely false! Those releases are releases! IE is just late. Your attempt to claim there are properties in those browsers that are part of the spec but not finalized is false. Any such unproven properties are given vendor specific prefixes to avoid any issues.
said by bluepoint:

truly a solid browser as far as I'm concern.

Did you not look at my link? Obviously this statement is also false.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore to howardfine

Premium Member

to howardfine
said by howardfine:

I wouldn't know what applications use only IE to work but web developers consider IE an inconvenience, to put it mildy, and generally downgrade their markup to make things work with it. To test your browser's technical capabilities, visit this site. You can also find a link at the top for all the other major browsers.

Now, be warned, that is a technical site, and I wouldn't expect you to understand any of the findings listed there. But the number at the top tells the tale.

Interesting site - thanks.

Not on Win7 (actually Win8.1), but IE11 scored 377/555, while Palemoon 24.1.2 scored 453/555.

howardfine
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine

said by DownTheShore:

IE11 scored 377/555, while Palemoon 24.1.2 scored 453/555.

Might as well mention these:

Chrome 503
Firefox 447

The tests are made using the W3C spec and applied to actual browsers.

2kmaro
Think

join:2000-07-11
Oklahoma City, OK

2kmaro to JoeSchmoe007

to JoeSchmoe007
Some banks and other institutions are not ready for IE 11 yet. So you may want to check with them before upgrading, even after giving it some time to be tested by others.
One of the Government's primary security clearance sites is most definitely on that list at the moment.

And I'm wondering if IE 11 has implemented their plan to do away with Cookies and implement "new and improved" tracking mechanisms to better serve the marketing world? I believe that's on their agenda - read something about it just a week or two ago.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO to bluepoint

Premium Member

to bluepoint
said by bluepoint:

said by howardfine:

And there it will sit for at least another year while every other browser improves and upgrades every 6 to 8 weeks.

That's the thing, everyone thinks other browsers improves at every 6-8 weeks but in fact they are getting beta products, it's like the upgrade never ends. IE releases are slow but when they have one, the improvement is mature, truly a solid browser as far as I'm concern.

It's not only question of maturity. One of the reasons behind that new contemporary fast-jumping from one version to another is - browser developers (who do that) don't want to offer any support for their products. Many just declare - we support the latest version and the previous one only. With the rush to produce new versions every 4-5 weeks, it actually means, that they abandon anything they developed just couple of months ago. Try to report them a bug (which sometimes could be seen in past 10 versions) and see how it works for you. Offering that extremely short time frame for support is just ridiculous...

howardfine
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine

said by OZO:

With the rush to produce new versions every 4-5 weeks

It's 6-8 weeks and it's not a rush. It's a timeline with smaller goals rather than having larger goals with a longer timeline. The difference between the current version and the last one is far smaller than it would be in the past. IE, for example, has huge differences between releases to such a point that we must write code for each version and treat each one as if it were an entirely different browser (to a point).

iow, IE11 doesn't work at all like IE10 which doesn't work at all like IE9, etc., and none of them work like any other browser.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to 2kmaro

Premium Member

to 2kmaro
said by 2kmaro:

Some banks and other institutions are not ready for IE 11 yet. So you may want to check with them before upgrading, even after giving it some time to be tested by others.

There's one site that I deal with that relates to health insurance that didn't work properly with IE 11.

But using compatibility mode fixed it (I realized that before they did) and they promise a permanent fix in a couple weeks.

I suspect that situation applies to many sites, except perhaps some gaming sites may have bigger issues.

(Oh---and I use that particular site with IE because they don't allow any other browser.)

Maven
Premium Member
join:2002-03-12
Canada

Maven to dib22

Premium Member

to dib22
said by dib22:

I upgraded it on all my 7 machines to 11 to close up holes.

But IE10 is still an active product. Microsoft is still releasing security patches for it.

bluepoint

bluepoint to howardfine

to howardfine
said by howardfine:

Absolutely false! Those releases are releases! IE is just late. Your attempt to claim there are properties in those browsers that are part of the spec but not finalized is false. Any such unproven properties are given vendor specific prefixes to avoid any issues.

I am not claiming anything, what I said, with that kind of rapid releases the quality of the releases is not mature enough for me. It's very hard to believe to have a quality release in such a short time. But if that's good enough for you then so be it.
said by howardfine:

Did you not look at my link? Obviously this statement is also false.

What link? The HTML5 test? A browser doesn't make it with one test. For me a good browser are those that doesn't have memory leaks, fast, and safe, IE posseses that.

Wily_One
Premium Member
San Jose, CA

Wily_One to JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

to JoeSchmoe007
said by JoeSchmoe007:

I think there are applications that use IE for rendering HTML content.

I'm sure there are, but none that I would use. A properly coded app should honor the default browser chosen by the user, not arbitrarily launch IE.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

1 edit

dib22 to Maven

to Maven
said by Maven:

But IE10 is still an active product. Microsoft is still releasing security patches for it.

Not denying that.. at the time MS13-090 had me worried, so I just made the jump to 11 in case they didn't patch it fast. Since the discovery was new it was vague which systems it was exploitable on (ie 10 on xp, ie 9 on 7, etc). They seem to have patched it the same Tuesday I grabbed 11.

I went with the newer is better (because they haven't found the critical flaw *yet*) theory

howardfine
Saint Louis, MO

1 edit

howardfine to bluepoint

to bluepoint
said by bluepoint:

I am not claiming anything, what I said, with that kind of rapid releases the quality of the releases is not mature enough for me.

You're trying to equate the time to release with the quantity of work. Don't do that. It's not like the past where a release wouldn't occur until a huge project was completed. That is why some releases never happened on time. Now the target is baby steps; small nibbles instead of eating the whole thing. If anything, the new implementations are better tested because it's smaller.

>What link? The HTML5 test? A browser doesn't make it with one test.

Uh. It's thousands of tests, not one.

>For me a good browser are those that doesn't have memory leaks, fast, and safe, IE posseses that.

Uh, now you're dreaming. All large software projects have memory leaks. Windows itself has leaks. IE is also the the least secure browser and the slowest (Despite what Microsoft tells you to believe. No one else does).
howardfine

howardfine to dib22

to dib22
said by dib22:

I went with the newer is better (because they haven't found the critical flaw *yet*) theory

Oh? IE11 zero day exploit

M_
join:2010-05-01
Vancouver, BC

M_ to JoeSchmoe007

to JoeSchmoe007
said by JoeSchmoe007:

When IE 11 started to appear in Windows 7 x64 updates I hid it to let someone else be a beta tester.

The fact that IE11 appeared under the critical update list was a sick joke.
said by Wily_One:

Windows Update is the only thing that "requires" IE.

Incorrect. This is a Windows 7 thread. You are referring to XP.

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
GTA

digitalfutur to JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

to JoeSchmoe007
Other than having to turn off enhanced protected mode, I haven' t had any issues with IE 11 on several x64 and x86 installs.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd to JoeSchmoe007

MVM

to JoeSchmoe007
No reason whatsoever. A wonderful browser and in my tests much faster than all others I've tested against. However if you're a AdMuncher user AdMuncher will not bloack adds under IE11.