onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

Xbox One controller

Is there any trutht to this? Or are people just looking for a reason to complain?
»venturebeat.com/2013/11/ ··· buttons/

Cabal
Premium Member
join:2007-01-21

1 edit

Cabal

Premium Member

I've seen a lot of reviews (video and web) calling out the bumpers/triggers. It sounds like poor design.

DslrMark
join:2000-06-29
Lawndale, CA

DslrMark to onebadmofo

to onebadmofo
Does anyone know why we can't use the 360 controller?

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

banditws6 to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
The bumpers (LB / RB) seem very slightly more of a stretch to reach than the bumpers on the 360 controller. I started to notice this last night after I was about two hours into a Forza session.

The triggers, on the other hand, seem like a huge improvement in every way.

I've also thought at times that the analog sticks feel a little too light now. Probably good for shooters but not so much for racing where you need very slight precision movements all the time, and I tend to overcompensate while expecting heavier sticks.

However, these are such minor points in my experience that I would never even think to complain about them unless asked.

Grimm
join:2011-05-23

Grimm

Played about 1.5hrs of BF4 last night and you're pretty much spot on with that assessment.

I'll add a few things though that I currently find issue with:
-Properly seated in my hand, I feel that the middle section of my finger is using the trigger, not the tip section which is more comfortable.
-The bumpers are a pain in the ass and hard to press sometimes; it's very frustrating. I feel like I'm clicking it but I'm not and the whole action requires too much attention to it. This is distracting as hell.
-My hands in general get cramped very quick, with the way they sit while holding the controller

I'm disappointed, currently, with this controller. However, my console isn't going anywhere anytime soon so all this may just be that it's new and I need to get used to it. But it's definitely a change from the 360 controller.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

Yeah if I was MS or Sony, I wouldn't change anything as far as controller layout on the new controllers. It's all a matter of users getting used to where things are. Once everyone is used to it, it'll be second nature and the old controller layout will be forgotten.

banditws6
Premium Member
Frisco, TX

banditws6 to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
This is more of a game issue than a controller issue, but it has exacerbated the problem with the bumpers on the One controller. In Forza 5, you can scroll through long lists a page at a time by using the bumpers (or in the case of car lists, skip to the next manufacturer). However, in a departure from earlier Forza titles, you cannot hold down the bumper to scroll continually. So I wind up clicking the bumper like mad to get through the car list, and it becomes obvious very quickly that it isn't a friendly button to press. It seems like it doesn't have enough pitch (doesn't go down far enough) and it gives me a weird feeling.

Still love the triggers. Getting used to the analog sticks.
mattlwil
join:2004-04-13
Memphis, TN

mattlwil

I'm sure my issue with the controller is probably extremely remote. But on my One Day One controller I noticed that when LB was depressed the left trigger would move the slightest and the effort to depress RB required less force and no trigger movement was noted. Upon further inspection a wire was found to be visible between the left trigger and controller housing that would move when LB was depressed. So in my case, I have an interference issue with a misrouted wire.

chadrob30
Howdy
Premium Member
join:2002-04-24
Fort Smith, AR

chadrob30 to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
The only issue I have with the controller is the trigger is light in BF4. I have found that I will be running and accidentally fire the weapon because the touch is so sensitive...

JSY
Premium Member
join:2000-04-05
Elmhurst, NY

JSY to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
Having played Forza 5 now for a bit - I am convinced that the bumper buttons are indeed supposed to be pressed by the mid of the index finger as described in the link of the first post. LOL - I mean, I play with the external view above the car and the only way to keep your finger on the acceleration trigger (R) and to quickly look back by pressing the right bumper is to keep the acceleration trigger pressed and to press the right bumper with the mid side part of the index finger. In fact, I think it's placed nicely to give you that option.

Yeah, don't change the XB1 or DS4 controller... people will adapt.

banditws6
Premium Member
Frisco, TX

banditws6

Premium Member

Oh...that is an interesting point. I always looked behind me in Forza by pulling back on the right stick!

JSY
Premium Member
join:2000-04-05
Elmhurst, NY

JSY

Premium Member

said by banditws6:

Oh...that is an interesting point. I always looked behind me in Forza by pulling back on the right stick!

Hmmm, okay... I am now embarrassed that I didn't know I could do that buy pulling back on the right stick. Ooops.. O.o

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to JSY

Premium Member

to JSY
I agree. I don't think the bumpers were meant to be fully covered by your finger. I always find myself hitting it mid finger. Could they be lowered slightly to the triggers? Sure, but I don't find it to be a problem. I have played CoD Ghosts, Forza, Need for Speed and Assasin's Creed and yet to have any issue. The improved triggers and the haptic feedback in the triggers is a great addition.

Grimm

Grimm

I find the biggest problem is when playing BF4. I like to spot as I feel it's invaluable. I basically spam the button whenever I don't need that finger for another action. This has helped me numerous times to locate someone in cover or in the distance I didn't see with my own eye.

This is where I find the problem. Spamming the button is horrible. A tap or click here and there is no issue, but it seems to get 'sticky' 4-5 clicks in and occasionally doesn't even register a press.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Interesting, I have two controllers and haven't had that. Will try testing it out some more tonight.

Grimm

Grimm

Maybe it's just me. I don't know. lol

Maybe I'm just not getting the button distance of travel right and not letting it 'release' before pressing down again.

I've been in and out of the hospital with family issues the past 3 weeks so I haven't had crazy amounts of time to spend with the system.

MystBlade
Premium Member
join:2002-10-21
Lacey, WA

MystBlade to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
Perhaps it's just me but I would of been almost 100% sure the would include lithium ion or some kind of built in rechargeable battery into the controller.

3rd party battery side deals? That say don't idk

banditws6
Premium Member
Frisco, TX

banditws6

Premium Member

I'm actually glad they didn't go with a built-in battery. I prefer using 2700mAh rechargeable AAs in my 360 controllers and am pleased to be able to continue with the XB1 controller. When they go dead, I slap in another set and pop the old ones on the charger later. Plus, should the battery ever stop taking or holding a charge, the entire controller isn't rendered useless.

On my PS3, since I had only one controller, when it went dead I pretty much had to either sit on the floor (USB charging cable wasn't long enough to reach the couch) or stop playing. That's why I got two DS4s for use with my PS4 this time...