uniqs

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker

Premium Member

Anyone with experience - Wightman Telecom?

I know there's an ad hoc forum for them (no posts save the first one in 2009), but I'll be moving into a home where they provide service. I haven't spoken to them directly (just clearing a few conditions before the house is locked up), but they seem to be pretty impressive and I saw the company box in the garage so ... yay... FTTH!

shrugs
@videotron.ca

shrugs

Anon

»Re: [Rant] Well, they finally gone and done it....

*shrug*

chris rofer
@206.47.249.x

chris rofer

Anon

i have heard of Wrightman telecom, they have offices up in bruce and grey counties.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
Wellington N

A Lurker

Premium Member

I did a search here, but most seem to be using their DSL service. They offer FTTH, bundled with phone and TV for $90 a month. It's 20/5 service, but looks like you can pay more for faster if you want.

Just thought someone here might be using it. Although I signed up here originally to bitch about my service provider, so maybe that's a good sign.
Expand your moderator at work
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb to A Lurker

to A Lurker

Re: Anyone with experience - Wightman Telecom?

I have friends who use their FTTH and LOVE it.. In my past personal experience, they are a great company

reboot
@cgocable.net

reboot to A Lurker

Anon

to A Lurker
My buddy in Palmerston has their FTTH and its great, hes had no issues at all in 2 years. He has their TV and FTTH service.

Its a GPON type of service if I remember.
Expand your moderator at work

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to A Lurker

to A Lurker

Re: Anyone with experience - Wightman Telecom?

My son has their DSL and has no complaints. They do provide FTTH in some smaller southwestern Ontario towns.

shrugs
@videotron.ca

shrugs to shrugs

Anon

to shrugs

Oops, I seem to have posted the above in the wrong topic. Was meant for this topic:
»Vertical Intergration: The coming storm

Apologies.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
Wellington N

A Lurker

Premium Member

Thanks all, the feedback (as well as someone I IM'd) gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling. It's 20/5 service (which is faster than I have now) and can get say 30/5 service for an extra $10. 40/5 for an extra $20. Upstream costs more, but I don't particularly care about that.

I practiced what I preach in the summer and walked away from a job I was beginning to hate. I figured better to do it then as I still liked the people, just not the job. I decided I'm kind of done with the GTA and will be moving into the boonies (at least by my definition). OMG - the nearest Costco is over an hour away!

Two bright spots are the job (which I love, even on the bad days) and FTTH!

Of course, the snow this weekend that we didn't see in Burlington could be a negative, but less than 3km to work I think makes up for it.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

Welcome to the real world.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
Wellington N

A Lurker

Premium Member

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb to A Lurker

to A Lurker
I've said this before, but it goes to show you when these small telecoms can do FTTH, why can't Bell? with Hurontel and Wightman both doing FTTH, Surely a company the size of Bell or alike can pull this off starting with one area at a time.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Wrightman probably doesnt have shareholders and 'the market' to answer to.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
Wellington N

A Lurker

Premium Member

Oddly enough, turns out it's a family run business (since 1908), started because Bell wouldn't run phone service out to the founder's farm.

When local phone service came to the Clifford area in the early 1900's, Robert Wightman, a local farmer in nearby Howick Township, desperately wanted to have service on his farm. Bell would not meet Robert's request for phone service. Rather than pursuing Bell's service further, Robert decided to start his own phone company by stringing lines from his farm to his neighbors throughout the township. Thus, in 1908 the Robert Wightman Telephone Company was born. Robert continued to run the operations of the telephone system from the back kitchen of his farm house, and eventually, after connecting up sixty of his neighbors, Robert was able to connect into the local Bell exchange in Clifford. When the Great Depression hit, Bell unloaded many rural exchanges, and sold the Clifford exchange to Robert. In 1933 Robert retired and handed over the management of the Robert Wightman Telephone Company to his son Ben.

Kind of neat as it was 100 years later his great-grandsons decided to be FTTH to small communities.

pstewart
Premium Member
join:2005-10-12
Peterborough, ON

pstewart

Premium Member

I find those stories really neat .. until i started working for a SILEC I had no idea they existed in Canada...

hmm
@videotron.ca

hmm

Anon

said by pstewart:

I find those stories really neat .. until i started working for a SILEC I had no idea they existed in Canada...

Didn't you have a webpage up a couple of years ago with some telco history? This seems to ring a bell with me... I don't recall if it was specific to Nexicom or if it had the history of a few others as well. Was a fun an interesting read.

pstewart
Premium Member
join:2005-10-12
Peterborough, ON

pstewart

Premium Member

There was a book written about Nexicom specifically that somehow got circulated online... there's a brief history on our website at »www.nexicom.net/about.php

hmm
@videotron.ca

hmm

Anon

That's it. Was a book. Wasn't all that big. The link to it was in this forums some time ago. It was a good read.