how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

thewisperer
Premium
join:2008-01-16

so its not xmas time yet but my BH is flashing

got many calls this morning: cold last night but nothing special.

check aircontrol and I see one high rises is off the map: back haul (NanoM5) and all the sectors.

When I got up there (11 floors up on the elevator shaft) oh and wind is 40 km an hr)

I see the M5 stuck in tftp mode.

It seems to happen on those using a poe with reset button.

Is that possible.

voxframe

join:2010-08-02
Usually that's a sign of water in the cable.

Happens when the temperature takes a fast dive or two in the first couple weeks of winter. (Same in spring when you get a good freezing/thawing swing) You'll re-program the radio, and everything will seem good, and in a week or two later it'll do the same, and probably die completely at that point.

These are the days/weeks when water infiltration (That you didn't know was sneaking up) will show its ugly face. The wind doesn't help either as it just shakes the cables that much more to help it along.

I've been patiently waiting for our turn. So far *Knock on wood* we haven't had any. I give it a week and we'll catch one or two.

Usually radios resetting themselves (UBNT) on a tower is your first signs that there is water before you actually see it. Usually you only get one warning before it comes out the other end.

Rhaas
Premium
join:2005-12-19
Bernie, MO
reply to thewisperer
Had the same thing happen to me last night/this morning. Got on site and the nbm5 had reset. Dumped the backup config onto the unit, rebooted it a couple of times to make sure all the settings stuck. Unplugged it from my laptop and plugged it into the router and it reset again. Went through the same process again and as soon as I plugged the Ethernet cable in that went to the router it reset. Replaced the Ethernet cable between the poe and router and all was well..
--
I survived Hale-Bopp!

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
reply to thewisperer
I've had that happen randomly to nsm5s but not in a long time.
Never knew what caused it.
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5
reply to thewisperer
said by thewisperer:

It seems to happen on those using a poe with reset button.

I think it would be more likely to say it is radios with Remote Reset enabled, regardless if it is the standard or Remote Rest power supply.

Chele

join:2003-07-23
kudos:1
reply to thewisperer
That is very common indicator of a false contact or short in the Ethernet. We had two UBNT units do that, replaced cable and never happened again.

thewisperer
Premium
reply to thewisperer
sorry but its not the cable...

the cable in this case is 20 feet of cable supplied with Redline ptp units

its some of the highest quality cable I have seen.

Swap the radio for a new one and all is good.

Its the radio! I guess you get what you pay for: its been up for two years without a peep.

Now if I had Redline units up there they would probably be ok: at 3 grand a pair!

voxframe

reply to thewisperer
Hmm interesting! I've never had a Nano do that before. At least not on its own anyway. I'll have to keep an eye out.

Every time I've had radios go into TFTP it's always been a cable issue. Usually water, but sometimes flat out damage too. Had it even with toughcable too. The stuff is not very tolerant to slight scratches I'm finding. I haven't done any serious testing, but I to notice that if the cable gets even the slightest scratch/scrape it will open right up if bent/moved a bit. Being cold out seems to make it even worse.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
said by voxframe:

Hmm interesting! I've never had a Nano do that before. At least not on its own anyway. I'll have to keep an eye out.

Every time I've had radios go into TFTP it's always been a cable issue. Usually water, but sometimes flat out damage too. Had it even with toughcable too. The stuff is not very tolerant to slight scratches I'm finding. I haven't done any serious testing, but I to notice that if the cable gets even the slightest scratch/scrape it will open right up if bent/moved a bit. Being cold out seems to make it even worse.

Ive had the same issue, its something specific to them. I thought it maybe was the PoE passthru enabled but even then I had it happen to some that didn't have it enabled. I replaced a few with different radios, (bulletM, rockets) on the same cable and never had issues.
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

Semaphore
Premium
join:2003-11-18
reply to thewisperer
Pssst. Paul...
M I K R O T I K

Porch

join:2005-06-19
reply to thewisperer
I had a bullet do that once. I just called it a power spike and reset it. No problems since. Ubnt gear really does have power sensitivity issues. I really wish they would put better filtering in them, but at the price they cost and how well they preform, a manual reset 1-2 times a year is not that big of a deal.

voxframe

reply to Semaphore
said by Semaphore:

Pssst. Paul...
M I K R O T I K

LMMFAO!

What's worse... I can actually picture you saying that... And worse is I can picture Paul's face when you do!

Semaphore
Premium
Hmmmm ... I can see Paul inviting me into the back room for a little tunin up

thewisperer
Premium
I know what you mean Ian;

I have been busy with a full time job (offer I could not refuse) in the security industry so now this comes in second.

I have been reading your posts for a long time and noticed you were eliminating UB to go to Mt for a while now.
Now I know the reason: I don't have a large network so if I went x10 in subs I would be going crazy.

Dan at Xagyl always said MT offered more flexibility but never said stability. Driving around Ottawa I see Storm still using UB

Cliff manages to keep his network up with 90 % UB but it does keep him busy...

I did not enjoy being 11 floors up on top of the elevator shaft in -15C with winds

I should have kept the an-80i 's I sold on this forum a while back.

voxframe

reply to thewisperer
Hehehehe.

So far we're doing alright with Ubnt.
(The legacy stuff is pretty shitty and most have been replaced, but the M stuff holds its ground quite well)

The thing I don't like with MT is their physical gear sucks. They are flimsy and water gets in easily. (Sextants). Other than that, you're having to cobble the units together with 3rd party items.

I love MT for the flexibility, it's insane compared to any other vendor. But the hardware just hasn't gotten to a level that I like. Combined with 6.x firmware being a complete clusterfuck has really made me lose faith in them. For a routing platform they still can't be beat, but considering wireless is a low priority to them, and hardware is still messy, I haven't considered making the jump.

Ian I'm curious as you're mostly a MT shop, what do you do for hardware? I'm assuming you're packaging boards into 3rd party antenna boxes/packs?

For Ubnt, I think the thing that has made the serious difference for us is power control/filtering. We use the DLI WISP injectors everywhere now. So every tower unit has clean power. Back in the UPS/POE days, we still had problems with lockups and such, but once moving to the DLI units, we don't have jams etc any more.

The only other thing that has been changed for us asides from the DLI gear is the cabling. Toughcable level 2 on any kind of tower/repeater/AP site. Along with proper lightning/surge protection on the Cat5. Asides from a direct strike (Reducing the unit to splinters) we haven't had lightning issues either come to think of it.

For what it's worth, I'm not sure what is making things so stable, but that's the secret sauce for us, so something in there must be helping lol!

Semaphore
Premium
reply to thewisperer
Actually Storm's Deployment is 100% Mikrotik. I know their Wireless guys quite well.

Semaphore
Premium
reply to voxframe
Who is this Ian of whom you speak ?

Company history goes like this: Tranzeo (LOL seriously?)>Deliberant (egad!)>Motorola (Holly F@#$!)>UBNT(WTF?)>Mikrotik(Hey I get to sleep and take holidays now).

Life hasn't been this good since I thought maybe this hobby could be a job after Nortel kicked my ass out the door (rofl).

Mikrotik on 5.24 or 5.26 has been solid for me. A couple 'features' now and then but MT can have RAS to my network whenever they need it and they've been very responsive with problem resolution.

Still a couple dozen Motorola and UBNT in the network. Replaced ~100 Motorola's this summer.

I hate cheap plastic boxes no matter who makes them... it _is_ RF afterall... I like scripting, API's and CLI's and I hate GUI's and black-magic check-boxes. So yes I roll-my-own - I like the ARC enclosures.

Cheers,
S (or I?)

voxframe

said by Semaphore:

like scripting, API's and CLI's and I hate GUI's and black-magic check-boxes.

Love it!

thewisperer
Premium
reply to Semaphore
sorry but they lied to you;

They might not have much but they do have Ubnt
My new job has me driving all over Ottawa.

When I spoke to Cliff last night he told me the weak point for him was not Ubnt
(way over a thousand devices) but being rural its power failures and dumb subs..

Even after a recorded message they can't reset their gear (radio, router or computer)