nightdesigns
Gone missing, back soon
Premium Member
join:2002-05-31
AZ

nightdesigns

Premium Member

[Electrical] Looking for a bathroom heater

I am looking for suggestions on a bathroom heater. I have 2 lights, one above the shower and one above the tub and I am thinking of replacing one with a heater. These are not the main lights for the bathroom and really aren't used. Currently they are recessed can lights with 40 watt bulbs in them with the glass cover. The rating is painted over, but I don't think it would be much higher.

I am leaning toward replacing the one over the tub. I have access to the attic above. Must be insulation contact rated. I am also planning on replacing the switch with a timer for safety.

Thanks
02778712 (banned)
join:2013-07-08
MA

02778712 (banned)

Typically I see the heating lights built into the exhaust fan like this:
»www.amazon.com/dp/B009LFM4E0/
or
»www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· 4IH6BZE/

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium Member
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA

1 edit

stevek1949 to nightdesigns

Premium Member

to nightdesigns
Check out the Broan 162 and 163 heat lamps. May be able to retrofit your existing.

»www.broan.com/products/f ··· b92bfa56

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya to nightdesigns

MVM

to nightdesigns
First make sure the existing bath circuit can handle the additional load of a heater. Most cannot.

Heaters (both lamp and element) above tubs and showers must be listed for the location (most are not).
dbamber
join:2003-02-07
Bandon, OR

dbamber

X2 to Nunya. When I did bathroom remodels, and people wanted a heater/fan/light unit I would buy a Nutone. This worked quite well as it had about a 1500 watt heating element that required a separate branch circuit. I used to buy these from HomeDepot, until my electrician said that he could get them for less than I was paying. Surprisingly the Nutone units the electrician got from the supply house had a galvanized steel housing, where the big box store unit was painted steel. My electrician also installed a timer on the fan to allow enough time to clear the moisture out of the bathroom. A 300 watt heatlamp is nowhere near as effective as a fan heater unit IMO.

nightdesigns
Gone missing, back soon
Premium Member
join:2002-05-31
AZ

nightdesigns

Premium Member

The single/dual lamp ones would do the trick, but the look does not pass the wife test (or for me either). Are the heater element ones available in a lesser wattage...something to use on an existing circuit?
dbamber
join:2003-02-07
Bandon, OR

dbamber

I have had a heat lamp in our first house, and our present one. To me it is like window dressing. It looks good, but that is about where it ends. If you want to add some heat for a bathroom then a heating element with a fan is the way to go, but I can't remember seeing one less than about 1500 watts. Hopefully with a good electrician you can run a new circuit to have an effective heater. BTW we were up at Hannagan Meadow last weekend. They had close to a foot of snow when we left on Sunday, and the temperature was in the low 20s at dawn. At 9100 feet up it gets cold in Arizona this time of year. A bathroom heating element there would have been really nice. But they don't work too well with no power, and all you have for lights is an oil lamp.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to nightdesigns

Premium Member

to nightdesigns
If you have room for a 240 volt heating circuit in your load center, I'd put in a 240v electric baseboard heater. I have one, it keeps the bathroom nice and toasty but expensive to run. My house is heated with 240v baseboard heat.

If you are not comfortable with wiring, I'd suggest hiring an electrician.
Expand your moderator at work