share rss forum feed

obeythelaw
Premium
join:2003-04-16
Bayonne, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

replacing a thermostat

I live in a 2 family home. I live on the 1st floor with a relatively new furnace. For heat is a a forced hot air system. The 2nd floor is also a forced hot air system although the furnace is about 15-20 years old. The prior tenant I had replaced the thermostat by the local gas and electric company and put a rather large boxy looking thermostat. That tenant left and my new tenant is complaining that the heat is working all that great and that if she puts the heat on 69 degrees when it is 64 degrees in the apartment, it will either never get to 69 or may take 10 hours to get there. It is an older home and the windows are a bit drafty. I was wondering if a new thermostat would help. I'm willing to buy one at Lowes and install it myself. Perhaps the current thermostat is too "energy efficient." It is a small apartment and so it shouldn't take that long to warm up and it isn't too costly to heat either due to its size.

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

I highly doubt a new thermostat of any make will make that apartment any warmer.

Your only hope is to seal the drafts. Also start by checking/changing the filter if you haven't already done so..

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA

^^ what he said.

cybersaga

join:2011-12-19
Welland, ON

Is the furnace running constantly? If it is, and then the problem is that your furnace can't keep up, and mityfowl's suggestions will help there.

If it shuts off before reaching the set temperature, it might be the thermostat.

obeythelaw
Premium
join:2003-04-16
Bayonne, NJ
reply to obeythelaw

Yeah, as far as I can tell and hear, the furnace is on. I think I have to stop buying those HEPA filters. Could it be that it is taking harder and longer to blow the air. Those filters seem to get clogged easily.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to obeythelaw

First off - are you the owner? You said you "live" there - not own it...

Once that's out of the way - if the stat is calling for heat, and the furnace is running; it's not the thermostat that's an issue. Get the furnace checked out and serviced, to make sure you're getting the heat out of it you should, get the drafts solved - even if it's caulking, or plastic shrink-film, it'll help...

Lastly - look at getting the ducts cleaned - if the filter is getting that dirty, that quickly, and the tenants aren't total pigs, the dirt is coming from somewhere. Is it getting plugged with hair, or dirt, or smoke residue, or ???

iknow_t

join:2012-05-03
reply to obeythelaw

said by obeythelaw:

Yeah, as far as I can tell and hear, the furnace is on. I think I have to stop buying those HEPA filters. Could it be that it is taking harder and longer to blow the air. Those filters seem to get clogged easily.

that could very well be the problem. try a regular filter first, and see what happens.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to obeythelaw

said by obeythelaw:

Those filters seem to get clogged easily

You mean they're doing their job....

cybersaga

join:2011-12-19
Welland, ON

They do, but it makes work harder on the furnace, which it may not have been designed for.

Some interesting info on HEPA filters in residential applications: »www.motherearthnews.com/diy/hepa···ter.aspx

In short, you can't just pop in a true HEPA filter with no modifications to the existing HVAC system.