spc
Search similar:

uniqs

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan
join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.

AkFubar

Is TSI Considering Offering a Service Similar to VMedia?

This looks like a really nifty service. Just wondering if TSI has future plans for something like this?

»www.canadacomputers.com/vmedia/

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

IIRC Marc said the last time it came up that he's not convinced it's a viable business case with CBB costs being what they are, so he wanted to wait for the new IPTV providers to prove the concept first.

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan
join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.

AkFubar

OK Thanks Guspaz

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to AkFubar

Premium Member

to AkFubar
I was over at Beanfield Metro Connect's Website for another reason earlier today, looks like they're planning IPTV too.

»www.beanfieldcondoconnec ··· ptv.html

Look out Robellus, the competition is about to hit you between the eyes.
They own their own fibre so they don't need to worry about CBB or dealing with any games Robellus might play.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

1 edit

Guspaz to AkFubar

MVM

to AkFubar
They have no CBB costs, so they'll do very well in their territory... but their territory is incredibly small, IIRC... just a bunch of MDUs that they service. In Montreal, their territory covers a grand total of two buildings, both of which are ultra-high-end office towers.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Look out Robellus, the competition is about to hit you between the eyes.

Not even close when all they service is a handful of condos.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Wait..the are wiring the entire waterfront. Once all the condos are built on the east waterfront, robellus will be locked out.

Guspaz, if you look at Toronto, they have downtown wired up, that's where the building is. You build a condo with 100's of units in it, as opposed to where I live you get maybe 10 houses in that same space.

They have Liberty village, a growing part of the city, wired up too, and it's in their backyard.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to AkFubar

MVM

to AkFubar
Downtown Toronto's population is only about 200k, and it's a much older population than the surrounding regions (and becoming increasingly so) so while they could still make a very good business of it, they're not going to have that big an impact on Rogers just doing that.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
Not to mention a lot of the condos are vacant as they are simply investment assets for foreigners. Lastly just because they have fibre in the vast majority of the waterfront area doesn't mean that every condo will tap into the network. I'm sure Rogers and Bell are very busy trying to strike up as many exclusivity agreements as possible.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Wait..the are wiring the entire waterfront. Once all the condos are built on the east waterfront, robellus will be locked out.

Guspaz, if you look at Toronto, they have downtown wired up, that's where the building is. You build a condo with 100's of units in it, as opposed to where I live you get maybe 10 houses in that same space.

They have Liberty village, a growing part of the city, wired up too, and it's in their backyard.

woopdie doo. A couple thousand customers under the most ideal conditions versus millions. Ya, that's real competition. Gimme a break.
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb to AkFubar

to AkFubar
I personally think Teksavvy could make a go of IPTV if they just allow Vmedia or Acanac's service to be available.. I doubt you will see every user's home welcome the product, and out of that, doubtful every tv would be on at the same time. It's also doubtful at the current config of someone like VMEDIA that it would see much difference than someone using netflix. I for one am considering leaving TSI over the lack of IPTV availability once I move this coming spring. I don't care if TSI offers it, just allow it to be made available. I would gladly pay 2 different bills. If the rules change, and Vmedia can do it without TSI's network partnership, it could be more costly for TSI because of extra traffic from connecting backbone providers. I'm assuming a network partnership would allow vmedia to route internally to TSI directly to control the flow of traffic internally.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to AkFubar

MVM

to AkFubar
TekSavvy can't just "allow" the service, they're not blocking it. In order for TekSavvy to enable this at the moment, it requires TekSavvy to enter a business relationship with that company.
koreyb
Etobicoke, ON

1 edit

koreyb

I'm not going to tell TSI how to work out the deal, but they can make the deal with vmedia directly and have a very minimal connection to the product. Make it available without much support. Pass tv support directly to the IPTV provider to deal with, and leave the partnership at the fact it's available to TSI customers. IF Vmedia or alike agrees to this partnership then that's between TSI and them. At the end of the day customers don't care how it works.. just that it works. It is possible, but there has to be will from both parties in the current setup. I do know they have lost some customers to Vmedia over the availability of IPTV. I'm sure it's not astronomically huge, but for people like me, I don't really want to leave, but I need someone who has what I need/want. At the current time, TSI does not provide this. I know I'm not alone with this view.
ragingwolf
join:2003-04-22
Nepean, ON

ragingwolf to AkFubar

to AkFubar
For a moment there I thought VMedia was offering HBO unbundled for $18/month... crazy talk.

You need to buy internet $40/month + "Basic Cable" $25/month + $18/month for HBO + $75 up front to buy the top box (seriously lawl at their "rent" option). Still loads cheaper than robbers I guess, but this would mean ditching teksavvy... which given the luck I've had with the stability of my connection, I sure hell not going to rock that boat changing ISP's.

Although if teksavvy ever offered something similar... I'd definitely consider the offer.
koreyb
Etobicoke, ON

4 edits

koreyb

The stability is not different really than TSI by reading from reviews.. Some have great experiences, some don't on both TSI and Vmedia. To make claim otherwise isn't the truth. You have a choice but, not all look at the ISP as the breaking point as long as it works.

The CRTC currently requires BASIC CABLE for any package and most of the channels if not all that Vmedia has packaged under basic. You can save money buying the box (that I might add ROGERS charges much more for) from Canada Computers. Rogers charges more than that for an sd version in fact.

RENTAL PRICES: ROGERS SD BOX: 4.51 a month with credit check vs VMedia HD BOX 5.95 no credit check but deposit. (It's a toss up on who wins depending how you look at it because I rather not have a credit check unless really needed. I also would like HD vs SD looking crappy on my HD tv.)

OR BUY

ROGERS SD (not available to buy anymore) so lets look at the Rogers HD Box: $321.59 vs VMedia HD $69.95. That's about 11.5 months of rental fees for Vmedia, so seems like a no brainier to me.

I would love to be able to get a really SKINNY basic (because I know the CRTC will never allow full choice on every channel), and allow me to pick my own packages. One by one, and/or theme packs. Vmedia and Acanac seem a little more willing to work with this concept.

The whole point of this wasn't to crap on TSI, but I do feel they should/could work with either IPTV providers and at least allow them to be available on TSI's network. Keeping distance is ok, if they just want to be nothing more than order takers and pass the support and back end work along with billing to the IPTV provider that's ok too.. if that's what they agree on, I'm good with it.. The point is for the amount of TSI users likely to pick this option up, you're doubtful to see any huge spikes in costing than someone downloading their shows illegally currently. I would almost argue it would be less traffic in some cases.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium Member
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON

1 edit

1 recommendation

Tx to 34764170

Premium Member

to 34764170
said by 34764170:

said by elwoodblues:

woopdie doo. A couple thousand customers under the most ideal conditions versus millions. Ya, that's real competition. Gimme a break.

Is this necessary? Lighten up a little bit.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

1 edit

34764170 (banned)

said by Tx:

Is what necessary? There is no comparison between covering a couple thousand customers max and millions.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

1 recommendation

elwoodblues to 34764170

Premium Member

to 34764170
said by 34764170:

said by elwoodblues:

Are you kidding me there are way over 1000 people in one condo alone in the downtown core.
elwoodblues

elwoodblues to 34764170

Premium Member

to 34764170
said by 34764170:

said by Tx:

Is what necessary? There is no comparison between covering a couple thousand customers max and millions.

You are obviously missing the point, 1000 here, another 1000 there, it begins to add up quickly.

We talk all the time how we suspect the incumbents are playing games with the TPIA providers because their starting to notice the growth.

What do you think will happen when they start noticing those thousands going to IPTV.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

said by elwoodblues:

What do you think will happen when they start noticing those thousands going to IPTV.

they won't even care since they'll own not only all of the TV channels but also the rights to the content itself (Rogers just bought rights to entire NHL for next decade almost yesterday). they're also now starting to buy pro sports teams.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

1 edit

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

You are obviously missing the point, 1000 here, another 1000 there, it begins to add up quickly.

Not as quickly as would be necessary to make them truely worry. I am not missing the point at all. Even if they did acquire exclusive access to every new condo in the GTA that still is not going to make them worry, and that won't happen. When Beanfield starts wiring up whole neighborhoods (and quite a few of them) in addition to the condos then I'd reconsider how much of a threat they are. VMedia is more of a threat to the incumbent carriers due to their ability to actually access a much larger customer base.
said by elwoodblues:

We talk all the time how we suspect the incumbents are playing games with the TPIA providers because their starting to notice the growth.

Except the TPIA providers via the incumbent networks have access to 100% of Rogers/Bell customer base. Beanfield covers an extremely tiny percentage of the potential customers Rogers/Bell can/could service.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

I'm not sure if they are TPIA, or not, but when I used that at my last job, I was looking at getting DSL where I live(SW Scarborough), and I know there isn't any Beanfield fibre out here.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by elwoodblues:

I'm not sure if they are TPIA, or not, but when I used that at my last job, I was looking at getting DSL where I live(SW Scarborough), and I know there isn't any Beanfield fibre out here.

As if that wasn't obvious.

Tx
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Tx

Premium Member

said by 34764170:

said by elwoodblues:

As if that wasn't obvious.

As if what wasn't?
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

1 edit

34764170 (banned)

said by Tx:

As if what wasn't?

said by elwoodblues:

and I know there isn't any Beanfield fibre out here.

Tx
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Tx

Premium Member

said by 34764170:

said by Tx:

As if what wasn't?

said by elwoodblues:

and I know there isn't any Beanfield fibre out here.

Makes sense now, thanks.
dialtone
join:2010-06-19
Mississauga, ON

dialtone to AkFubar

to AkFubar
I actually wanna sign up to this iptv but hate i gotta use their isp as things with tsi have been great but they do offer unlimited cable internet i just have never heard of vmedia as a provider and some research about their network and stability needs to be done before i even think of signing up