uniqs
share rss forum feed

neufuse

join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

[Install] Comcast Enterprise install.. yay!

Well this took since summer, for planning, designing, and now implementing...

thanks to the Comcast reps on this forum for helping me get this done. Today Comcast is running a 24 strand fiber line into our building. It runs for 5 blocks from what I can see to their splice point.. they've been out there all morning running leader lines, feed pullies and all the other stuff, and started pulling the fiber at lunch. We originally were scheduled to be lit and tested in mid January.. but they are ahead of schedule and now it's going live in a couple weeks.. SIP and PRI circuits, and Metro Ethernet via fiber to Comcast at 1Gbps symmetrical.

If you ever go this route, you need 4 U of rack space for Comcast hardware... they run the fiber to your racks terminate it there and then it goes into their equipment, and this is even before the router and phone hardware. there is another U taken up by the router another U by your hardware firewall if you have it separate from the router... another U for the SIP / PRI emulator... lot of rack space used up for teleco now but it's worth it to ditch the phone company's way to expensive T3's

Edited to add topic group category. sortofageek See Profile

Zenit

join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
kudos:1

Re: Comcast Enterprise install.. yay!

Photos of this setup would be nice. Perhaps post them in the "Photos of broadband gear" subforum that really could use more posts?

neufuse

James Creek, PA
we don't have the gear yet, but the fiber is being ran today, suppose to be light path tested next week and the equipment will be here after that to terminate and connect

neufuse

James Creek, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
apparently they are also turning our building demark into a bit of a splice point for their network too, not sure why, but they are putting some stuff in our demark also for their use. After the demark the fiber is spliced and ran back up 6 stories into our data center floor.

When you love fiber and networking, this is exciting stuff *lol*

The real fun will come when we set up BGP...

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
reply to neufuse
Cool! Comcast is running fiber to our location as well. They already have a 40 count fiber in our street. There was a 90 day standard lead time but they are accelerating it to right before Christmas.

We are just getting Metro Ethernet handoff for Internet from a Ciena 3916. They said to reserve 3U of rack space for the fiber splice panel and handoff device.

Nice to know they have PRI. We have another provider for that and well they really suck.

Please do post the handoff equipment. Sounds like you may be slightly ahead of us. Though I got my block of IP's already.

On the Metro Ethernet forum, Comcast Business was Service Provider of the year. So far I have to say their speed, responsiveness and project manager was far better than any TELCO I've dealt with so far.

»www.metroethernetforum.org/news-···releases

neufuse

James Creek, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
yeah, we are getting SIP and a SIP to PRI Emulator (from Comcast) to connect to our old Nortel system until we replace it... Tri PRI card inbound calls still over Verizon and outbound over PRI via Comcast until we do the complete switchover..

Comcast once the people here got me in touch with the right people moved along like a freight train... in the time it took us to get Comcast contracts done the local Telco never called us back on a survey and quote... only after we signed the Comcast contracts did they get back to us... with a price that was 15x the cost of Comcast..... yes FIFTEEN TIMES!

I THOUGHT we were going to get a Ciena box, but they said no, it's something else... and Adtran came up as one of the box makers, and not sure what the other box was... I think the Adtran box was for the PRI

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
Yeah with PRI you need something else. Though I'm pretty sure there are bigger Ciena handoff boxes that have modules for things like PRI.

Currently our telco comes into a Fujitsu Flashwave multiplexer and from there it's broken out to additional shelf with PRI cards and a fiber to Ethernet hand off.

We're primarily getting Comcast as a redundant provider. They did show us the local system map and their route goes another direction so there is a little diversity there for us. Can't wait!

Zenit

join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to neufuse

Re: [Install] Comcast Enterprise install.. yay!

Let me guess who your local telco is....begins with a V, ends with an n?

Or is it the company with a buffalo for a logo that got a bunch of GTE systems dumped on them by VZ?

bbtech6650
Premium
join:2004-10-28
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to neufuse
Are their metro circuits limited data transfer? Just a silly question, maybe?

neufuse

James Creek, PA
reply to Zenit
we're a Verizon CO here, former bell atlantic...

neufuse

James Creek, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to bbtech6650
what do you mean limited data transfer? you mean like capped? If so no, a MetroE connection is not capped in ANY way, I could transfer petabytes if I wanted and not get a peep out of Comcast... heck right now we do about 800 TB a month in data transfer

GusHerb94

join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL
said by neufuse:

what do you mean limited data transfer? you mean like capped? If so no, a MetroE connection is not capped in ANY way, I could transfer petabytes if I wanted and not get a peep out of Comcast... heck right now we do about 800 TB a month in data transfer

Who have you been using up til this point? Sounds like neither Comcast nor Verizon.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
reply to Zenit

Click for full size
said by Zenit:

Photos of this setup would be nice. Perhaps post them in the "Photos of broadband gear" subforum that really could use more posts?

Here's what ours looks like. It's not quite gigabit, though, so the OP's setup may use different hardware.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
reply to neufuse

Verizon last mile here too, but we do have some Windstream circuits riding on their lines.

They told us to reserve 3U of rack space and in Oedipus post it looks like that is correct. However I am not aware of getting any Adtran equipment. Is that for PRI handoff?

For $1800 a month it better be uncapped! But that also provides 30 static IP's. We will load balance between both providers and with inbound DNS load balancing and tiny TTL's, mitigate between provider outages. Going to run it into one of these: »www.peplink.com/products/balance/

Haven't used one but read a lot of good posts about it in various forums. Plus they said it can BE the router and it can handle CIDR blocks of IP's. So The ciena is going to run straight into WAN2 of the Peplink Balance.

We just can't meet the requirements of ARIN and meet their deadline of 50% usage of a class C in the first year. 1/2 of a /24 is 127 external IP's and that is like 6 times more than we need. So not qualifying for ownership of our own /24, we can't do BGP. If we were bigger and if we were liars with no ethics, maybe we would lie to ARIN but were not going to play that game. Therefore hopefully the Peplink solution works. People that use it swear by it. Plus at least we would be load balancing traffic instead of paying for just redundancy.

neufuse

James Creek, PA
reply to GusHerb94
Verizon, we have DS3 circuits right now to our CO.. which are expensive as heck compared to this

neufuse

James Creek, PA

1 edit
reply to Oedipus

I see they spooled the main fiber line above the fiber splice box.. not 100% sure I like that myself, but hey it's their equipment

edit: that should of said main not mail... darn auto correct

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
reply to cypherstream

said by cypherstream:

They told us to reserve 3U of rack space and in Oedipus post it looks like that is correct. However I am not aware of getting any Adtran equipment. Is that for PRI handoff?

We were told to reserve 6U, which obviously was unnecessary. The Adtran interfaces with an ESI PBX.

neufuse

James Creek, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
6U seems like a lot, they gave us some odd requirements like racks have to be bolted to the floor with x type of bolt... big list of grounding requirements for the racks... all the kind of stuff we already had done... everything grounded to a copper bus bar then to electrical ground... etc... conduit to the room must be 3" wide... not sure why but some of the requirements just made us scratch our head, but the building already was built with all these things in mind... we have multiple 3" conduits to every floor from the demark then multiple 3" conduits from there out to the telephone pole with electrical in one set, copper lines in another set, and fiber in another set...

they signed off on all the stuff we had so sounds like we were good

neufuse

James Creek, PA
well despite them telling us we won't get a Ciena box, guess what showed up today.... a Ciena 3930

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
Neu-
Any updates / new pics?? Always exciting to follow along...

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
Not from me,
But they did install flexible conduit inside our building. There's a huge spool of orange conduit on a trailer outside.

Neufuse, you?

mccabe1234

join:2012-08-10
Boca Raton, FL
reply to neufuse
How much does the 1G service cost per month?

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by mccabe1234:

How much does the 1G service cost per month?

It's going to be highly variable per market, buildout cost, contract terms, etc.

I think it's safe to say a few thousand dollars. With that said I believe Comcast is one of the cheaper business MetroE providers.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

3 edits
reply to neufuse
Click for full size
Atleast they aren't doing fiber the way ATT did it for us
Ordered it in May (I'm told)
they ran the long haul part in june or so (hundreds of strands) then it just sat there.

then we moved into the new office where we wanted the fiber service and they still hadn't spliced it yet.

a month after moving in ATT finally got the splicing done while we were stuck on 4 DSL modems waiting.

in the end what ATT used for the service was (ATT is giving us a 20mbps circuit and a PRI hand off) (ya I know fiber for 20/20 lol)
a Ceina 3930
a Cisco 3945e w/ SM-NM-Adptr w/ NM-HDV2-2T1/E1 (3U router)

the Ceina is using one of its 2 10g ports (don't know its its running at 10g) to link to ATT and one of its copper gig ports to go to ATT's 3945e router. (What we're unhappy with is the ceina and the 3945e don't have their 2nd power supplies, and the ceina is in a location we didn't want it in even though we paid them $4k for a 12 strand demarc extension, they did the extension with MM instead of SM so the ceina can't yet be put in the server room)

sounds like comcast did a far better job of running fiber to you, we on the other hand aren't happy with a number of things ATT did.

here's a pic of the att router and our cisco voice gateway (top one is our voice gateway a 2921 it only does voice) ignor the rj11 cable that's not in the cable management its just going to a pots phone for testing.) and yes those are 2x T1 crossover cables made with Cat7

then on the ceina they put in a small patch panel in the demarc room (aka telco closet) and ran network cable from the ceina to the panel (which um if they hadn't made another mistake when they installed our smart jack in the demarc and not in the extended demarc we would have has no way to connect the ceina to the 3945e)
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
reply to neufuse
Click for full size
Simple Ciena 3916 metro Ethernet
Got ours turned up today. Have to say dealing with Comcast Business was smoother than any other telco I've dealt with from start to finish. Its working great.

Ciena here and some Juniper MX960 at the headend where it's handed off to Ivyland, PA and West Chester, PA.

neufuse

James Creek, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to mccabe1234
It's in the multi thousand range...

lets just say this... a 10Mbit fiber symmetric circuit with a PRI costs about $1,500 a month... the pri part is about $490 of that a month. A 100 Mbit circuit on its own was running around $3k a month... our original 1000Mbit symmetric quote was $7,500 a month... we added on PRI's so I can't give you a number on just internet (EDI) line...

build out cost was $21,000, Comcast ate all that with a 3yr agreement

neufuse

James Creek, PA
reply to DarkLogix
you didn't get redundant power on your Ciena? sheesh... Comcast gave us redundant power with out asking for it

neufuse

James Creek, PA
reply to cypherstream
surprised they don't have labels all over the ciena... our box they have printed out yellow labels that have our rDNS, IP ranges, Serial numbers, port speeds, MAC's all that stuff... it's like label overload

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
No but I got a cool diagram showing the DWDM channels and the km distance and address of the local headend and then where it disperses from there.

neufuse

James Creek, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to cypherstream
I'd say working with Verizon and AT&T a few years ago to get DS lines in place was a NIGHTMARE... Comcast basically just walked in asked what we wanted, gave install dates came back did it and all done... what took Comcast a month to do, took the Telco's almost 2 years to set up engineer and install!