All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
hyde1
join:2012-11-16

hyde1

5 More Years of Magic Jack?

I am ready to buy $100 deal for next 5 years.
They also offer $30/year plan, but I find 5 years a lot more convenient, not just to save money but I am sure I will forget renewing like I did this time (no service for 2 weeks so far.. ) We rarely use it but it's good to have as a backup line or in case of emergencies just pick up and hear dial tone, etc..

I just saw a thread back in 2008 someone saying "if you are gullable enough to pay upfront for 5 years" well, who is gullable now, they have been around for 5 years, and honestly we are still paying about same as what we would pay any other provide for less than a year.

I still have the old USB magic jack (I think 2nd generation) with Blue LED on it. Still works fine, I am guessing subscription is independent from hardware. Plus, don't they have android app now to call when overseas, etc using home number?

greenman
join:2002-06-18
Athens, GA

greenman

You could do this. I plan to continue with the yearly fee. From my perspective the landscape on VOIP keeps changing. I'm willing to pay $30/year for an upgrade to an existing device. But the way VOIP devices are today, in five years, there could be something way better than magicJack. Everything changes so quickly.

If you spend a lot of time outside the US and you bring your magicJack with you, but you don't want to return every year to renew, a five-year plan might be appropriate.