uniqs

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

[Tools] What are some good cordless 18V tools?

Looking for a Drill and a impact wrench, I don't think I've seen the two paired together unless it was a set?
dbamber
join:2003-02-07
Bandon, OR

dbamber

[Tools] Re: What are some good cordless 18V tools?

Panasonic, Bosch, and Makita have all been good to me over the years. Makita makes at least 2 grades of cordless. The big box stores tend to have the homeowner DIY grade for sale. I know the last Makita 18 volt cordless I bought had 3 amp hour batteries, as opposed to 1 1/2 amp hour batteries sold at the big box stores. Also are you looking for an impact driver/ drill, or a wrench?

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Looking for a impact wrench to take off some bolts, one of them being at least around 120 Ft.lbs the rest around 50 or so..

I would use my air impact but it's in another location and I don't feel like carting it then taking it back.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Re: What are some good cordless 18V tools?

Doubt you will find one for the 120 ft-lb plus bolt. A Dewalt 18v impact driver is rated to 1330 in-lbs which is about 110 ft-lbs. Now the 36v Dewalt impact wrench will definitely do the job putting out 350 ft-lbs but you are looking at a sizable investment (over $500).

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka

MVM

robbin's advice is good.

I'd add that in my experience, that a tool (air or electric) rated at 350 ft-lbs can be reliably trusted to remove a bolt that was previously torqued (tightened) to approximately 1/2 to 1/3 of that value.

I have a 1/2" 18 V dewalt impact, and it seems to be at its limit removing wheel nuts that were torqued (by hand) to 80 ft-lbs 6 months previously.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Re: [Tools] What are some good cordless 18V tools?

Just came from Home depot.. OK I hate how they only have cordless drills to test but nothing else..

that being said the rigid tool felt OK, but I picked up the Milwaukee M18 next to it and it feels solid and it seems the battery slot is way smaller..

On the other hand the Ridid tool rep came to me and said since I don't have any type of tool/battery system (I know he is trying to sell) I would be better off getting the cordless drill/driver with the impact driver for $299 I get two of the larger size batteries with the charger and you get a free tool only (not the impact wrench) but a sawzall,grinder or circ saw..

Now if I went with the impact only it's $139 with that, $49 for the charger and I think it was $79 of the battery.

Now if I got that kit I would be $299 + the $139 for the impact wrench.
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to Subaru

to Subaru
I love my Milwaulkee tools - the M12 12v line is great and compact - I've got the Hammerdrill, impact driver, multitool, and right angle drill. The M18 Fuel hammer drill, Hackzall, and vacuum I've got are great and powerful, especially the Fuel drill.

I'd not hesitate to recommend the Milwaukee stuff - seems to be well built and reliable.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

1 edit

Subaru

Premium Member

It just sucks the charger and the battery are so expensive..

The home charger is $59 and the battery (XC) is $99 with the tool being $169

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
I have a cheap-ass Ryobi impact driver and it's probably my favorite power tool. Stupidly useful and cheap enough that if I break it, I'll go buy 2 more.

cybersaga
join:2011-12-19
Selby, ON

cybersaga to Subaru

to Subaru
The cost of batteries is hard to get around with any of the reputable brands.

I have an M18 hammer drill too. I got it with one battery, charger and carrying bag on Kijiji for $100. The guy was asking $120, which I was going to happily pay, but he handed $20 back after I we got chatting and I told him my third son was on the way.

That was over a year ago. I used it for heavily for my basement bathroom renovation. I don't have an XC battery, which I wish I did. It doesn't last long when using the hammer.

I've been keeping my eye out for a dead battery that I can rebuild.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

I'm thinking about getting that ridgid 1/2" impact wrench as long as it can take off 150 ft.lbs I will be good..

but with the ridgid alone I'm looking at $307 before tax

if I did the tool combo I spend $299 get two tools, but then I just need to buy the impact and $299 + $139

ugh..

Seeing as I need the tool by Friday I'm not sure what I should do

cybersaga
join:2011-12-19
Selby, ON

cybersaga

These guys have reconditioned tools for much cheaper: »www.cpoprotools.com/ridg ··· ,sc.html

They've got a drill (not hammer) and impact driver for $199.

Those same folks do the same for almost every brand imaginable.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

said by cybersaga:

These guys have reconditioned tools for much cheaper: »www.cpoprotools.com/ridg ··· ,sc.html

They've got a drill (not hammer) and impact driver for $199.

Those same folks do the same for almost every brand imaginable.

Thanks, I will keep them in mind, I just need it this Friday (not because of black Friday) but because I want to get most of my work done with a engine by Friday & Saturday trust me I don't want to spend all this money that I have to as I just spent $265 yesterday.
02778712 (banned)
join:2013-07-08
MA

02778712 (banned) to Subaru

to Subaru
I'd highly recommend Makita for that stuff. I used mine to do all kinds of work on my garage over the last year.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to itguy05

Premium Member

to itguy05
Another nod for Milwaukee. I have an M18 Fuel hammer drill also and love it. I picked up the matching reciprocating saw as well since I needed one and already had the battery packs.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to 02778712

Premium Member

to 02778712
I'm still leaning on this

»www.homedepot.com/p/RIDG ··· 0e-IwJ8E

plus the tool only 1/2" impact wrench.. so all in all I would have 4 tools plus 2 3Amp batteries
02778712 (banned)
MA

to Subaru
FYI: You've still got time to order off Amazon with 1-day shipping to get it tomorrow. 2-day shipping would be Friday but no guarantee when.

to Subaru
said by Subaru:

I'm still leaning on this

»www.homedepot.com/p/RIDG ··· 0e-IwJ8E

plus the tool only 1/2" impact wrench.. so all in all I would have 4 tools plus 2 3Amp batteries

Do they have that locally? It shows them as online or ship to store for me.

to Subaru
This is the one I own. It says 1,420 in lbs which is about 118 ft. lbs.
»www.amazon.com/Makita-LX ··· 07P2EJSU

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

That's a impact driver.. I need a impact Wrench I'm dealing with things 150 ft.lbs and more.
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

iknow_t

said by Subaru:

That's a impact driver.. I need a impact Wrench I'm dealing with things 150 ft.lbs and more.

for the amount of torque you need, it's much cheaper to get a big air tank, fill that, and use your air impact wrench on it. you can even put everything in a cart, and wheel it around.
02778712 (banned)
MA

02778712 (banned)

said by iknow_t:

said by Subaru:

for the amount of torque you need, it's much cheaper to get a big air tank, fill that, and use your air impact wrench on it. you can even put everything in a cart, and wheel it around.

Yea I use a compressor for anything else.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to iknow_t

Premium Member

to iknow_t
said by iknow_t:

said by Subaru:

I have a air compressor with a air impact wrench which I've had for almost 4 years now. (750 Ft.lbs) thing is it's 20 miles from me and I'm in a location with no power source.. besides I need a new drill and cordless sawzall so in the end I end up getting what I need.

shdesigns